Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Tips and Tricks

Best way to simulate M2m Communication

What are some ideas or ways to simulate this when I only have one NI. i want to simulate multiple masters trying to connect to the unit. Any ideas?

Comments

• bobbob Posts: 296
    I would say buy an used ME260 or so, I've seen them for as low as $50.
  • samossamos Posts: 106
    keyword was simulate not replicate. but thanks for the answer
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'll bite... Why? :)

Perhaps this will help in answering your question.
    E
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    samos wrote: »
    i want to simulate multiple masters trying to connect to the unit.
    Why are multiple masters trying to connect to the "unit"? What is the "unit"?
  • samossamos Posts: 106
    sorry not unit, but master. But no need to simulate now I have 11 masters to use. I asked this when I was only had one and wanted to test this without multiple masters.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I suppose one could reverse engineer it by setting up a port on your computer or an NI that you've configured and programmed. You could see if you could port scrape enough to at least keep a connection alive and even simulate a few events. I highly doubt you could scrape the entire protocol in a short time. But you might get enough to get the gig done. (... Oh did I post this out loud???)

I'm one of those kind of people who actually calculates my time into the equation. I think I'd actually save more money by buying a couple cheap Netlinx masters on eBay to do this kind of thing. (unless I was really curious about the protocol. Oh, did I post this out loud??.)
  • catalinocatalino Posts: 25
    Try capturing the traffic using ethereal/wireshark, and then replicating the same ICSP calls on port 1319.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Or better yet - use the "Virtual Master" in NetLinx Studio or TPD4. I've had touch panels connect to my computer when they were set to auto in the past, so I'd assume that would work.

I've been debating on writing a Virtual Master of my own, however it would almost be useless (in my opinion) unless one were able to make use of TKOs. And even then, you'd want to be able to run Duet . . . *sigh*