Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

HOW TO USE DUET MODULES

Hello,

I understand this may be to complicated to explain, but I'm hoping I can get enough information to jog my memory on how to use modules. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out how to talk to them and read past posts about this issue with no luck in helping me understand how to use them. I have completed programer 1 but we did not spend much time on modules.
What I am trying to do is use a NEC module to get things like lamp hours and change the input. When I look at the module it is filled with code to control everything. How do I narrow down just what I need? I don't need all the other processes.
Do I include only the .jar file and then define that module in my main source code?

I am guessing I create a virtual device to send commands to. Virtual devices puzzle me a tad. I certainly understand them more now thanks to this site.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    To use the duet module, all you actually need is the comm module (i.e. the jar file). This is what implements control of the device. Consult the documentation for the module to see how this works. Your module call will specify the physical device that your projector is attached to and the virtual device which you communicate with. Manipulate the channels and levels of the virtual device IAW the documentation to control your device. Also, send commands to the virtual device IAW the documentation.

All the interface modules and include files and touch panel files that are included with the module are not necessary to get it to work. But, look that stuff over carefully to see what's going on. In some cases, it will make interfacing with the module much more understandable.

Unfortunately, in all likelihood, you won't be able to get the module to do anything without having a device actually connected. This makes learning how to use the module from the comfort of your remote location difficult.
  • samossamos Posts: 106
    DEFINE_DEVICE
    dvDev = 5001:1:0
    vdvDev = 41001:1:0

DEFINE_MODULE 'Cisco_TC_Comm_dr1_0_0' mdlVTC1(vdvDev ,dvDev )//substitute your module here

This is the only code that is 100% required to make the module load to the system. After that you need to read the documentation that comes with the module to get the functions that you want to work to work. Each module comes with a word doc that tell you what all the channels,levels and send commands do.
  • danlee20danlee20 Posts: 31
    Thank You guys. That was very helpful!!! I do have a couple question regarding the virtual devices. When I define my virtual device do I just use the same port as the actual device? Then do I just talk to the virtual device and it will pass commands through to the actual device? So for instance would i do the following:

vdvNECPROJ = 41001:1:0
    dvNECPROJ = 5001:1:0
    dvTPMAIN = 10001:1:0

DEFINE_EVENT

BUTTON_EVENT[dvTPMAIN, 1]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND COMMAND vdvNECPROJ, "'?LAMP'" // IS THIS WHERE I WOULD SEND THE COMMAND TO THE VD?
    }
    }

AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK? WOULD I MAKE ALL CALLS TO THE VIRTUAL DEVICE DEFINED IN THE DOCUMENTATION USING THE COMMANDS DEFINED IN THE DOCUMENTATION?

SO THE QUESTION NOW IS HOW DO I USE A VIRTUAL DEVICE?? I KNIDA GET IT, BUT I DONT.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED!!! YOU GUYS ARE A HUGE HELP... AND SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS :)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    danlee20,

It souonds to me like yoiu'd really benefit from taking the AMX progrramming classes. Like most things you can kinda learn it on your own but there will always be some gaping holes in your understanding or a lack of knowledge of best practices.

Just contact your dealer rep and they'll get you hooked up. If you don't have a dealr rep then there's something wrong and you should not have gotten hold of the Netlinx software in the first place.

e
    Eric, I have taken the class already. I actually just finished it. While they did go over this stuff it wasn't very in depth. I am understanding more and more everyday using this and being able to ask questions in a real life situations. This board has been a tremendous help to me so far and I have only asked two questions. SOmetimes hearing somebody else explain thing in a different way helps me retain it. I know for me, going back and reading past threads has had a huge impact on my understanding of things, coupling that with the class is very helpful. Thank you.

On that note, I have figured out the whole virtual device thing and have a good understanding on how that works now that I have played around with it.

I am now trying to solve my lamp hours coming in and storing them in data.text to output to the TP. Any thoughts? when I run diagnostics I can see the lamp hours(in hours) coming back from my virtual device. Everything coming from the actual device is all crazy Hex. I am going to experiment a little bit to see what I can figure out.

Thought??
  • champchamp Posts: 261
    I see you have solved your problem in another thread.
    I wish you the best for programming in the future and hope you get that nasty caps lock habit cured.
    Thanks Champ
  • alguien tiene el documento de instrucciones del modulo CISCO_TC_COMM_dr1_0_0 por favor