Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

MVP-9000i lockup after sending a TPD4 file

I am in a project with 3 MVP-9000i. one of them locks up after sending a TPD4 file. The backlight is on, the blue LED is on (not blinking), but it doesn't respond to anything right now. I guess i can leave it until the battery's up and plug it to a power source. Can't say why though.

Another issue is probably related to the wired/wireless switching. Another panel was tested fine, and I put it in the docking station. This morning when I came to site, it doesn't respond to anything. Even the undock button doesn't respond. I think I could let it consume the battery too. Which brings me to another question. Is there a way to force reboot an MVP-9000i?

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    You may have overfilled its memory. Late versions of panel firmware have Unicode font support that takes up a huge amount of memory all by itself, and your panel may be too large to live with it. If you can't get to the setup pages, you can't unload or tell what is up.

You can get to the setup and calibration and reboot on a 9000 just like an 8400 I believe, hold the bottom of the two touch pad areas until it does each of those in sequence. But if the panel isn't responsive, that won't work.
  • dspotdspot Posts: 23
    These panels were delivered around early last year, so firmware probably haven't been updated since. no response whatsoever from both panels.

Interestingly, one panel shows the correct date and time, which I assume it gets from a connection to the master. But the master (looking at it from NS) doesn't seem to connect to it. So, right now all I have to do is to let the battery drain, or do I have another choice?

Another panel is still live connected, with the more or less same TPD4 file.
    another question, is there a way to 'force undock' an MVP from it's docking station?
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    dspot wrote: »
    Is there a way to force reboot an MVP-9000i?

The reboot button near the stylus cavity will do it.
    Auser wrote: »
    The reboot button near the stylus cavity will do it.

never noticed that there's a reboot button. shame on me.
  • dspot wrote: »
    These panels were delivered around early last year, so firmware probably haven't been updated since.

The latest MVP-9000i firmware (v. 2.86.31, 2012-06-05) sounds like it addresses issues you are describing:
    • Fixed an issue causing panel graphics to freeze, requiring a power cycle to restore
    • Fixed an issue with the wireless connection losing its valid ip address when connected to a Cisco Controller and receiving a Deauth packet, this can occur when the panel is docked with a valid wired ip
    • Selecting Site Survey will now cause the panel to drop offline from the master. This is required because the unit is actively changing wireless channels and may not always be connected to an associated access point.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    dspot wrote: »
    never noticed that there's a reboot button.

Took me a while to realise there was one too. I'm pleased they included one because with the initial firmware releases they needed to be rebooted a lot.
    firmware upgraded to the latest. hope not to hear any problems from the client.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've got a brand new one doing this ... not every time, but enough to be real annoying. It's already running 2.86.31. It's showing 93707352 bytes memory free. When mine freezes, it's not simply a graphics freeze, button presses don't work either (I routinely set the beep to miss only, and it acts like every press anywhere is a miss).

Now that I know it's not just me going crazy, I'll look further at it, and try to get a better idea when it happens. But it is definitely more likely right after a load.
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    I've got a brand new one doing this ... not every time, but enough to be real annoying. It's already running 2.86.31.

In the release notes for that firmware under "PROGRAMMING INFORMATION" it notes:
    Band Selection: Note - The band selection will effect what you see when doing a site survey.
    802.11a/b/g -> A and B bands, all channels
    802.11b/g -> B band, channels 1,6,11
    802.11a -> A band, all channels

Active roaming:
    Disabled -> Roaming is passive, and will only occur when the panel loses connection to its current access point
    Enabled -> The panel is actively looking for better access points to roam to.

Perhaps the issue you're seeing is due to the panel finding a "better" access point/band/channel and temporarily halting while re-connecting.
    In the release notes for that firmware under "PROGRAMMING INFORMATION" it notes:
    Band Selection: Note - The band selection will effect what you see when doing a site survey.
    802.11a/b/g -> A and B bands, all channels
    802.11b/g -> B band, channels 1,6,11
    802.11a -> A band, all channels

Active roaming:
    Disabled -> Roaming is passive, and will only occur when the panel loses connection to its current access point
    Enabled -> The panel is actively looking for better access points to roam to.

Perhaps the issue you're seeing is due to the panel finding a "better" access point/band/channel and temporarily halting while re-connecting.

Not likely when it happens when I'm using the wired connection. There is also only one WAP in the house. Though that does bring up another issue with the panel ... fairly often, when switching from wireless to wired or vice versa, it loses the connection altogether.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Though that does bring up another issue with the panel ... fairly often, when switching from wireless to wired or vice versa, it loses the connection altogether.

That's been an ongoing problem although i thought an earlier firmware was supposed to fix that. As suggested in another thread i just disabled the wired settings and just use the wire for power not network.

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?8031-9000i-autoswitch-from-wired-to-wireless&highlight=9000
    vining wrote: »
    That's been an ongoing problem although i thought an earlier firmware was supposed to fix that. As suggested in another thread i just disabled the wired settings and just use the wire for power not network.

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?8031-9000i-autoswitch-from-wired-to-wireless&highlight=9000

That's a great idea. I'd rather have a slightly slower connection than an unreliable one.