Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

M2M SET_VIRTUAL_LEVEL_COUNT

I have a project with Master to Master communications (M2M) and I am having a problem with the levels above 8 on the virtual device on the 2nd Master. I am tracking 38 levels. The device is an Autopatch Precis 18x18. On the Main Master (0:1:1) the levels work beautifully, but on the 2nd Master (0:1:2), the levels don't update correctly after a power cycle (hard reboot) on both masters.

I ended up doing a 6 min wait on the Main Master (0:1:1) to allow the system to read all levels from the Autopatch and then I am forcing a reboot on the 2nd Master (0:1:2) so when it comes online the levels are already read and updated on the Main Master. On the 2nd Master I am defining the Virtual device and using the call below at DEFINE_START:
//This call is on the Main Master where Autopatch is connected to:
DEFINE_EVENT
DATA_EVENT [0:1:0] //MAIN CONTROLLER ONLINE EVENTS
{
    ONLINE:
    {
	{
	    //Reboot other controllers to keep feedback in sync for Autopatch Audio and Other virtual Devices
	    WAIT 3600 //Wait 6 Minutes to give Autopatch time to INIT and report levels
	    {
		REBOOT (0:1:2) //NI-4100 Controller have 2 other TPs defined locallly.
	    }
	}
    }
}

//This code is on the 2nd Master (0:1:2)
DEFINE_DEVICE
//Duet Devices from System 1 - NXF
vdvAutopatchAudioDevice1 = 41001:1:1   // VIRTUAL DEVICE - Autopatch 18x18

DEFINE_START 
SET_VIRTUAL_LEVEL_COUNT(vdvAutopatchAudioDevice1, 38)

//I have also tried this instead and with the DEFINE_START call with the same results:
DATA_EVENT[vdvAutopatchAudioDevice1]  // Listen the APDuet module to come online
{
    ONLINE:
    {
	//Virtual devices default with 255 channels, 8 levels, and 1 port
	//Increase level count from 8 to 38 to support all levels on other Masters
	Wait 1200
	{
	    SET_VIRTUAL_LEVEL_COUNT(vdvAutopatchAudioDevice1, 38)
	}

Wait 100
	{
	    DO_PUSH(dvTP_Audio13,180) // Refresh Levels
	}
    }
}

If I load the 1st Master with code updates it works and the 2nd Master gests the Levels correctly. But after a power cycle of both Masters the Main Master (0:1:1) gets all the levels, but the 2nd Master (0:1:2) only shows the first 8 levels. For some reason the SET_VIRTUAL_LEVEL_COUNT is not working properly. Any ideas or suggestions? Should I define the SET_VIRTUAL_LEVEL_COUNT somewhere else? I am defining the SET_VIRTUAL_LEVEL_COUNT only on the 2nd Master (0:1:2).

Thanks,

Ricardo

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I would declare the virtual in both masters ensuring the system number is correct in both, then create a data_event for this virtual in both masters and then create an ONLINE handler where I would call the set_virtual_level count.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I thought set_virtual_level_count was to be set in define_start, and not in the online event. I thought it had to be set BEFORE the device came online.

Why wouldn't you set the level count on the device the module is running on? I'm really confused why you're using M2M to set a level count - it makes no sense to me.

If the module is on master 1 then in master 1's define_start put the level count in its define start and remove all other instances of rebooting and whatnot - it seems unnecessary.
  • You need to define all the additional ports on the second master

41001:1:1
    41001:2:1
    41001:3:1

You can also send the refresh command to the base device after a reboot of the second system just to make sure everything is updated.
  • The problem is that virtual devices on a M2M only keep track of the first 8 levels and I have 38 levels to keep track of. My system has M2M, so I need to report the levels on 2 iPads running TPControl on the 2nd Master. I will try a couple of the suggestions above and report back. Thanks!