Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

TP in Car's dashboard

Just found this pic while surfing:

Comments

• I'm putting a NI-700 in my car, but it's a just going to be reacting to some OBDII data without interaction. Unless it's a tablet running TPC, I'm not sure of the point of a touch-panel as a head unit.

Kevin D.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I just found the pic with no narrative but i would assume they'll just be running the audio system, maybe DVD but it looks like a 2 seater, maybe rear camera. This is likely a pic from several years ago prior to TPC and the ability to interface with tablets but yeah anything like this now would definitely only make sense using a tablet.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ... to say nothing of the fact that AMX panels are absolutely horrible in daylight conditions. They just weren't designed for it.
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    ... to say nothing of the fact that AMX panels are absolutely horrible in daylight conditions. They just weren't designed for it.

I'd bet the vehicle has windows that are tinted to a level that's nearly impossible to see through.
  • to be honest it looks like a photoshop job. especially the pic on screen, i know that's inserted.

the panel itself is looking a bit 'inserted' to the pic as well, but i could be wrong.

i've changed to a new car. Prior to that I had a PC running for several years in the car.

it played mp3 via winamp, had 3g internet access, was running windows xp.

i also had an ibus interface to the car (a bmw) and it would send controls for windows and gather information like temperature and economy. it also enabled the steering wheel buttons, which i used for menu control and track selection, amonst other things.

it was all great, but the new car doesn't have room for the pc, nor a location for the screen, nor an ibus interface.
    so it didn't get carried over.

the new car, i just insert a usb stick in for all my mp3s, and the amber mono lcd display gives me all the details.

anyway, bottom line, after spending for years having a seven inch display and a computer in the car... it's not really any great benefit. driving is enough to worry about already :) I enjoyed the mp3s on the pc, but with a usb port on comtemporary cars, why bother with all the effort. And I have 3g in my phone these days.

all just my opinion, of course.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    There should be a video on YouTube of a guy who has a 7" touchpanel in his dash controlling audio and fan speed.
    Nothing fancy, but it shows it can be done :)

Can't find the video at the moment though...