Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Sub-page Preview

I'd like to simulate my current project with sub-pages & scrolling regions using G4 Panelpreview. These sub-pages have video fill and text showing up on pop-up pages. In TPD4, I can see the outline boxes with dotted fill in the sub-page view button. But when I run the project through G4, the areas are blank.

I have installed the latest version of TPD4 and can't see the scroll bars either.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Or are sub-pages not compatable with G4 Panelpreview yet?

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    CopperTop wrote: »
    I'd like to simulate my current project with sub-pages & scrolling regions using G4 Panelpreview. These sub-pages have video fill and text showing up on pop-up pages. In TPD4, I can see the outline boxes with dotted fill in the sub-page view button. But when I run the project through G4, the areas are blank.

I have installed the latest version of TPD4 and can't see the scroll bars either.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Or are sub-pages not compatable with G4 Panelpreview yet?

Sub-pages are brand-new and G4 Panelpreview is quite old. I think you may be out of luck. You'll have to test on a real panel.
  • I had the same issue while building a new project file for a 20" Panoramic panel. I brought it to AMX's attention, and from what I understand, the PanelPreview program is being updated. No word on when this will be available. I had to load it onto the panel, and G-4 Web Control to the panel to do screenshots of the sub-page views for the customer.
  • We're currently working on a new Panel Preview that will support Sub-Page views and animated page transitions.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    We're currently working on a new Panel Preview that will support Sub-Page views and animated page transitions.

I don't suppose there will be a way to drive page flips from code?
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    That would be awesome. I 100% want a way to preview a panel with the code and panel file and without the master and pane itself set up yet.
  • No, I'm afraid that PanelPreview will not support master communications.
  • Could we have an eta on the new G4 Panel Preview?
    No, I'm afraid that PanelPreview will not support master communications.

What exactly is the point of making a panel preview application that doesn't handle page flips in code? Every AMX programmer course I've been to teaches page flips in code, and most programmers I know agree that it's the best way to handle things.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm just curious as to why you're spending time developing a product that has very little use if you program the way you teach people to program.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    If G4PP, a free program, allowed for master communication there would be nothing to stop a dealer from using a Windows box with a touch interface for their clients, thus causing a potentially severe monetary loss. On the flip side, there are many programmers, and even instructors, who believe in the page flip in the panel paradigm, so G4PP still serves a purpose.

To test page flips from code on your desktop, you'll need to wait until TPControl releases a desktop version of their application.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    jjames wrote: »
    If G4PP, a free program, allowed for master communication there would be nothing to stop a dealer from using a Windows box with a touch interface for their clients, thus causing a potentially severe monetary loss. On the flip side, there are many programmers, and even instructors, who believe in the page flip in the panel paradigm, so G4PP still serves a purpose.

To test page flips from code on your desktop, you'll need to wait until TPControl releases a desktop version of their application.
    Craptron offers a free(?) PC solution and has the larger market share of resi jobs, iRidium offers a
    PC solution and i think they had an unlimited bundle, any number of PC, iPads, iPhones, Droids for less than 4 TPC licenses so in allot of respects it seams to me that AMX is making itself obsolete since they're no longer competitive and i wouldn't call their products best in class anymore either to warrant the higher costs.

I believe the majority of folks do a combination, some flips in code and some flips via the panel and only newest dealers/programmers are likely to do all flips via the panels. Since i do both I've never found much use for the preview app and i honestly don't see why anyone would waste time updating a software that is almost useless to most dealers. Of all the things that need fixin' I think AMX could make better use of its resources.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    vining wrote: »
    ...iRidium offers a PC solution and i think they had an unlimited bundle, any number of PC, iPads, iPhones, Droids for less than 4 TPC licenses...
    To the best of my knowledge, iRidium is not an AMX partner, and as such are unauthorized to use AMX's patented communication protocol as well as their trade-secret encryption process, which most likely results in the lower cost of their software.
  • rynandorynando Posts: 68
    jjames wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, iRidium is not an AMX partner, and as such are unauthorized to use AMX's patented communication protocol as well as their trade-secret encryption process, which most likely results in the lower cost of their software.

I would encourage AMX to figure out a way to bind G4 Panel Preview to TPDesign4 so it cannot run independently of the IDE and to enable two-way communication between the simulated panel and a master controller. G4 Panel Preview is useless as-is.
    vining wrote: »
    Since i do both I've never found much use for the preview app and i honestly don't see why anyone would waste time updating a software that is almost useless to most dealers. Of all the things that need fixin' I think AMX could make better use of its resources.

I agree completely. I understand why G4PP doesn't do much useful right now, but it's actually frustrating to hear that AMX is investing time on something like this, especially when they're spending time on it while intentionally leaving out a feature that would make it useful.
  • Jeff wrote: »
    I agree completely. I understand why G4PP doesn't do much useful right now, but it's actually frustrating to hear that AMX is investing time on something like this, especially when they're spending time on it while intentionally leaving out a feature that would make it useful.

G4PP is great for creating an unrealistically smooth expectation of how large animations and pop-up effects actually perform in a real Panel. (even the X series)

It is actually frustrating to hear that AMX is investing time on anything Touch Panel Related that isn’t G5 :(
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    This might be a fairly moot point once the Windows 8 version of TPC is released. Unless I am mistaken you can run and Windows Phone 8 app on a computer running Windows 8.

I think I saw a post that said TPC is working on Sub-Page implementation for one of the next releases too.
    the8thst wrote: »
    This might be a fairly moot point once the Windows 8 version of TPC is released. Unless I am mistaken you can run and Windows Phone 8 app on a computer running Windows 8.

I think I saw a post that said TPC is working on Sub-Page implementation for one of the next releases too.

Does TPC emulate AMX touch panels? iRidium lets you load TP4 files built for AMX hardware and connect them to your master.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    rynando wrote: »
    Does TPC emulate AMX touch panels?
    Sure does. It'll turn any iOS, Android and soon Windows 8 (including RT) device into a AMX panel, albiet without the motion and light sensor, MP/MPL support and general sexiness of an X series panel.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Does iPad preview on OSX provide a UID to the application? If so, you might be able to run TPC in the iPad emulator mode to run an AMX panel on an Apple computer.
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Sure does. It'll turn any iOS, Android and soon Windows 8 (including RT) device into a AMX panel, albiet without the motion and light sensor, MP/MPL support and general sexiness of an X series panel.

No, I mean does it emulate an actual type of hardware TP? I use iRidium as a productivity tool. I load TP files for hardware panels and it'll let me run several on the desktop simultaneously. That way I can test my program with all my TP files running without having to have several actual TPs in front of me.