Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

MVP-9000 Woes

This isn't so much a question as a sharing of information, but I wouldn't mind some feedback if anyone has information I might have missed.

I have sold a grand total of two MVP-900's (to the same customer, though on different properties). Both seem to lock up a lot. One has the latest firmware, but seems to freeze when I load a new panel file. It's pretty random, but if I'm going to have an issue, it's when I load a file. Mostly, it simply freezes on the logo screen after the file load reboot. Often when that happens, the load is corrupt and has to be done over. But it will also randomly lock up afterwards ... just just get the "missed" beep (which is how I set my panels up, double beep on a miss, and no sound on a hit). The screen becomes completely unresponsive. In both cases though, I have to reboot it again with the reset button. It's to the point where every time I load a panel file for any minor touch up or addition, I reboot it for good measure afterwards, even though it reboots on load anyway.

The other also exhibits this behavior, but adds to it random lockups no matter what. It is *not* on the latest firmware, but it won't update either. Any attempt to update the firmware fails, even via USB stick. that one is currently at AMX for repair, but I suspect it's going to come back acting like the first.

I've called this into tech support, and got the usual, "we haven't heard of such a problem," but we all know how much that is worth. My hunch is it's a memory issue of some sort, but I'm open to suggestions where else to look. Of course, this is one of those customers that flips out at the tiniest thing that goes wrong, and I grow weary of the pained e-mails that way, "can't you just make my stuff work?"

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I beleive I've had issues like that too but not as of late and I often transfer files remotely through a VPN. Back when I had issues it was often related to also having the VNC open during a transfer (or maybe that was 5200i's?). I beleive they're on the latest firmware and the only other thing I did was remove the wired connection and default the settings for wired in the panel. That was mainly because of the switching problem they had (I beleive it was fixed) from wired to wireless when removed form the dock.

Other than being way to heavy with real crappy resolution and an often sluggish response to pushes (swipe anticipation delay?) they've actually been pretty reliable thus far. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. :)
  • rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    We've got at least half a dozen of them out in the wild, 4 of which have been out for almost 2 years at this point. I don't believe we've run into any issues like that with any of them, though I'll try to remember to check with our service tech and post back when I see him.
  • sam.yoonsam.yoon Posts: 6
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    This isn't so much a question as a sharing of information, but I wouldn't mind some feedback if anyone has information I might have missed.

I have sold a grand total of two MVP-900's (to the same customer, though on different properties). Both seem to lock up a lot. One has the latest firmware, but seems to freeze when I load a new panel file. It's pretty random, but if I'm going to have an issue, it's when I load a file. Mostly, it simply freezes on the logo screen after the file load reboot. Often when that happens, the load is corrupt and has to be done over. But it will also randomly lock up afterwards ... just just get the "missed" beep (which is how I set my panels up, double beep on a miss, and no sound on a hit). The screen becomes completely unresponsive. In both cases though, I have to reboot it again with the reset button. It's to the point where every time I load a panel file for any minor touch up or addition, I reboot it for good measure afterwards, even though it reboots on load anyway.

The other also exhibits this behavior, but adds to it random lockups no matter what. It is *not* on the latest firmware, but it won't update either. Any attempt to update the firmware fails, even via USB stick. that one is currently at AMX for repair, but I suspect it's going to come back acting like the first.

I've called this into tech support, and got the usual, "we haven't heard of such a problem," but we all know how much that is worth. My hunch is it's a memory issue of some sort, but I'm open to suggestions where else to look. Of course, this is one of those customers that flips out at the tiniest thing that goes wrong, and I grow weary of the pained e-mails that way, "can't you just make my stuff work?"

I installed about a dozen of them by now and one of them had similar issue.
    It some times failed to show a few popup pages or icon slot images.
    They all got back after a reboot.
    When new firmware came after a while, I tried firmware update by 3 methods - via NetLinx maste, via micro SD memory, via USB stick plugged in - none of them succeeded.
  • JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    I have had random lockup issues with the latest version of firmware. I don't use it, AMX was at one of our sites trying to fix a massive DxLink issue and upgraded the 9000's while they were at it. When in doubt throw a hot fix at it seems to be a popular solution. I had to downgrade to the previous version to get them to stop locking up every couple of days. Even after they released the hot fix as an official release it did the same thing. I'll live with the VNC locking up all the time if the panel doesn't. Not to mention all the bugs in the IP connection pages.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    We have a number of these out there, and a few had some issues early on but have been fixed with later firmware, and I haven't heard a peep from any customers with them for many months, take that for what its worth. You may need to send it in for repair as it sounds like it has a partially corrupted flash drive or some other issue. I'd RMA it I think.
    Paul
  • ColinColin Posts: 51
    I have one particular unit that has to be rebooted regularly, it has not long come back from Australian Tech Support as it froze completely and could not be rebooted at all, it does seem like there may be an issue with the latest units as all of the other, about 18, are working fine.

cheers