Home AMX User Forum AMX Resource Management Suite Software

RMS v4.1

For those of you that don't actively monitor the AMX website you may be interested to know that RMS Enterprise v4.1 is out. It's the first major update to Enterprise and with it comes scheduling support.

Perhaps more importantly though it the new programmers guide. If you are in any way associated with development grab yourself a copy. Put simply, it's awesome. If you haven't played with the SDK yet to give you a quick overview there is one include in particular that is your best friend - RmsApi.axi. This wraps up all the ways you can interact with the RMS module into nice, readable functions that have logical argument lists. The programmers guide now has full, readable, searchable documentation for every function in this. There's also an updated SDK which includes the scheduling side and some new open source modules for monitoring DVX's. This basically means if you're doing a DVX centered install your entire RMS code footprint is quite literally a couple of lines.

Comments

• ogharibogharib Posts: 12
    Internal Scheduling

After reading all RMS Enterprise manuals, I could not figure out an answer to my following question:
    Is there an internal scheduling system in RMS Enterprise, as it was the case with RMS 3.x? that is, without using Microsoft Exchange 2010?
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Hey ogharib, RME Enterprise must be linked to an external scheduling system, there is no internal booking system. This is quite nice as the scheduling side becomes completely transparent to your users - they do not need to be trained in yet another separate proprietary system and instead use a standard booking tool designed for that purpose.
  • RMS Internal Schedular

RMS Enterprise has an internal scheduling feature that provides macro creation for common recurring scheduled events like system wide startup/shutdown, setting DSS inputs, morning/night lighting presets, etc. This scheduler is independent of the scheduling interface for third party applications and may be used in conjunction with them. This is nice because now you do not have to create a scheduled appointment in Outlook to just turn off the projectors at night and things like that.
    I hope this helps.
    Doug Hall
    RMS Product Manager
    Reserving meeting rooms

Actually, I am trying to find out if there is a built-in feature (not a plug-in) inside the RMS Enterprise for reserving meeting rooms. There are already NetLinx/Duet sample systems (that come with the SDK).

I have tried those samples, but I could not be able to reserve a room. So, is there a built-in feature that would enable RMS Enterprise to handle a room's reservation?
  • RMS Enterprise Scheduling

As Kim mentioned in an earlier reply, the answer is no. The only way to book a room is by interfacing into a third party scheduling system.
    Third-Party Scheduling System

Is there any plan for creating scheduling plug-ins, other than the one that uses Microsoft Exchange 2010?
  • plug-ins

Yes, you will see releases for plug-ins including an updated Exchange EWS for 2010/2013 soon plus Lotus Notes next month. The others are to follow....
  • As Doug indicated, yes, we are developing additional plugins for RMS Enterprise (v4.x).

Is there a particular one you are seeking at this time? Several are currently in the development pipeline, and will be released in the near future, with others coming on line as resources (and demand) permit.

At present, you can purchase plugins for RMS v3.x for the following scheduling systems.
    MS Exchange/Outlook®
    MS Exchange Web Services (EWS)
    Lotus Domino®
    Novell GroupWise®
    Planon Integrated Workspace Management®
    Dean Evans &Associates EMS®
    CollegeNet's R25®
    People Cube's Resource Scheduler®
    Free trial of plugins

Is it possible to have the ability to download free trials of the scheduling third-party plug-ins?

Another question: It could be nice to have one new plug-in... internal scheduling plug-in (like that one in RMS 3.3). By having a plug-in, there should be no struggle between the already-written RMS Enterprise and the internal scheduling plug-in.

I mean that it does not have to be mixed with the RMS Enterprise's code (like RMS 3.3). Would such plug-in be available as a free trial to download?

I hope I have made myself clear.
    Trial version of RMS Exchange 2010 plugin

Is there any chance to get a trial version of RMS Exchange 2010 plugin? expire after 14 days, for example?
    Note: This would really help to evaluate the plugin to decide on whether to use it in a commerical project or not.
    Thank you.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Call AMX Sales or Support for questions of AMX directly. This forum is of users, who can't offer you what you are asking here. While some AMX sopport staff do check through here from time to time, what you are asking for is going to have to go through your SALES REP. They don't come here... at all, from what I see.
  • RMS API

I currently am running a 3rd party scheduling software hosted on sql server. I'd like to procure RMS 4.1, however when I originally spoke with my AMX rep he explained that having my 3rd party scheduling software talk back and forth with RMS for the time being would not be possible, and that API's were being developed for this process. Could you possibly explain to me if this is correct, and what is needed to make the two systems talk to each other?

My apologies, I'm still trying to understand the concepts here and explain everything to my programmers.
  • All plug-ins for RMS Enterprise are developed at AMX by the RMS team. The scheduling API for Enterprise is the same as RMS 3.x, it is proprietary and frequently requires changes to the RMS database structure and/or scheduling interface application. There are no immediate plans to change this but we do have a new scheduling interface road mapped for future development that will include a web services api.
  • Doug Hall wrote: »
    All plug-ins for RMS Enterprise are developed at AMX by the RMS team. The scheduling API for Enterprise is the same as RMS 3.x, it is proprietary and frequently requires changes to the RMS database structure and/or scheduling interface application. There are no immediate plans to change this but we do have a new scheduling interface road mapped for future development that will include a web services api.

Thanks Doug. Sorry if I'm asking redundant question here, but is what you're saying meaning that with RMS 4, I could run my third party scheduling system in conjunction with RMS? The third party scheduling system is a web based system, hosted by sql server.

Could you explain how I could make this work in layman's terms?