Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Subpage Limit?

It seems like I have hit the limit. I have 300 subpages and need about 50-100 more to complete my project. Does any one now a way around this? I am also wondering if it is a TPC limit or an AMX limit as I am working with an iPad.

Comments

• trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Correction
    troberts wrote: »
    It seems like I have hit the limit. I have 300 subpages and need about 50-100 more to complete my project. Does any one now a way around this? I am also wondering if it is a TPC limit or an AMX limit as I am working with an iPad.

It seems like I hit a limit of any page creation on my panel. I cannot create any more pages, popup pages, or subpages. I can understand the limit on older panels and older laptops, but with newer laptops and memory in panels how can there be this limit?
  • filpeefilpee Posts: 64
    Doesn't answer your question but this is what the Modero X Series Programming Guide says about subpages.
    The number of subpages that can be created is based on subpage size and limited
    only to the system’s available memory.

Whats your current memory usage like?
    I spoke to support and they told me there is a 500 page limit. Pages, popup pages, and subpages count against that limit. To me this makes no sense. I love the addition of subpages, I think it is a new a highly competitive was to make your UIs standout, but if your limited...not by memory...but by TPD4...what is the point of having so much memory in the newest panels and TPC devices.
    I have a project coming up where I would easily use 500 subpages alone, not to mention pages and popup pages. I would think AMX needs to increase this limit when working with certain panels...or have subpages not count towards the 500 page limit.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    ]I have a project coming up where I would easily use 500 subpages alone

Do you really have this much DIFFERENT stuff? That's a lot of stuff to maintain and things to miss. Can this not be done with your program?
    true wrote: »
    Do you really have this much DIFFERENT stuff? That's a lot of stuff to maintain and things to miss. Can this not be done with your program?

I have 100 IP cameras, 3 buildings, 3 pools, 20+ music sources, 35+ video sources, 61 lighting zones, gates, traffic cams, 50+ UIs, doors, and so on and so on...all of which I am using subpages on....all done in 1 TPD4 file. Like I said easily 500 subpages :) End result could be awesome or very disappointing if I am really stuck at 500 pages/popups/subpages.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    I have 100 IP cameras,
    Are all the pages identical? Why can't you do this in programming? Wouldn't it be easier to maintain in code anyway?
    3 buildings, 3 pools, 20+ music sources, 35+ video sources,
    Are all of the video sources the same type? I typically have one popup per type / layout and manage what shows and what the controls actually control in code. Can you do this? Or do you have 35 completely unique sources with completely unique controls?
    61 lighting zones, gates, traffic cams, 50+ UIs, doors, and so on and so on...all of which I am using subpages on....
    Some of it makes sense, but surely some of this can be done in code?

I've done some extremely large systems and honestly those tend to use very few popups / pages, if only because there are only so many necessary layouts and I can manipulate the contents and control of the layout in code, and the larger systems I have done tend to be more repetitive than the smaller systems. But maybe yours is different. Anecdotes etc...

If you are needing THIS much UI on this large of a system, and none of it can be consolidated and controlled in code, perhaps a custom application would be better and more maintainable?
    true wrote: »
    Why can't you do this in programming?

Most of the programming is done in code...however its not about the code. Its about the cool factor to the end user. I dynamically rearrange buttons, subpages, "sho" buttons, reuse channel numbers based on what page they are on and based on what zone and building is selected. But most of my subpages are single buttons on a popup page...so in a sense this 500 page limit, for me and my design (and I am sure several other who have been using subpages) is more like a 500 button limit.
    Here is an example...keep in mind I was not connected to the project, only to my testing processors.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX3B7-oxlyA
  • I'm with the others in thinking most of this can be cleaned up in code.

That many pages are more than a handfull to use. Easy for errors to creep in.

In my opinion, the user experience will be just as good, if not better.

I would look toward a template frame for each layer of functionality, then redress the template depending on the situation.

Sometimes there is a need to think 'hollywood'. You're out to create an illusion. No end-user would have the foggiest on how the screen is dressed, so long as these is little to no latency. One effect is to dress text and button states on a page -before- flipping into view, avoiding the chance of a visible refresh of the objects of the page. But rarely do people notice anyway, and if they did if probably wouldn't affect their perception.

Design is not just about throwing bucket loads of objects together. To me, if I'm over 100 pages in a project I'd be concerned and looking back at what could be done better. The other possible side effect of so many objects is longer load times and page flipping - but I don't really know, never had that many pages.

Anyway... it's all just my opinion and of course you are entitled to design any way you see fit. But IMHO I believe you should consider illusion/perception some more - it's a big part of the design process.
    Thank you all for the input Just try to be a little more clear. I am talking about subpages, not pages. Subpages can be programmed to be individual buttons in a swipe field. My project only has about 10 pages. My issue is, the fact that subpages count towards the 500 page limit. Which is like saying there is a 500 button limit. I will agree that any project with 500 pages has a serious issue. But a project with over 500 buttons is very common.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Thank you all for the input Just try to be a little more clear. I am talking about subpages, not pages. Subpages can be programmed to be individual buttons in a swipe field. My project only has about 10 pages. My issue is, the fact that subpages count towards the 500 page limit. Which is like saying there is a 500 button limit. I will agree that any project with 500 pages has a serious issue. But a project with over 500 buttons is very common.

I agree, its silly. Its probably a bug that got overlooked. Since each button is a subpage, having them be part of the limit of 500 doesn't really make any sense. If you have 20 popups with 25 subpages/buttons each, you are done! Perhaps it will be fixed in upcoming firmware as I can't imagine its a hardware problem. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

EDIT: Once you have a file with the maximum number of subpages, can you get its memory allocation? I would be curious to see if there is still memory left or not.
    Paul
  • rrdbstudiosrrdbstudios Posts: 160
    has any additional information been found on this subject?

I have a 32 x 32 video switch I want to fit into a single screen using both horizontal subpages for outputs and then each output a vertical subpage for inputs.. that is 1024 just in buttons, 1057 after the 32 vertical columns and the 1 container..

...this is ignoring the rest of my subpages for screen navigation, audio switcher, preview sources, etc... I would personally like some clarification as to the limitations so we can work around them if need be, I love subpages, but even a small system will kill the 500 limit quickly.
    Subpages are awesome! However you will have an issue if you have over 500 subpages (even though each subpage is only one button) I did call support on this and they confirmed there is a 500 page/popup/subpage limit.
  • has any additional information been found on this subject?

I have a 32 x 32 video switch I want to fit into a single screen using both horizontal subpages for outputs and then each output a vertical subpage for inputs.. that is 1024 just in buttons, 1057 after the 32 vertical columns and the 1 container..

...this is ignoring the rest of my subpages for screen navigation, audio switcher, preview sources, etc... I would personally like some clarification as to the limitations so we can work around them if need be, I love subpages, but even a small system will kill the 500 limit quickly.

I find this concept of creating over 1000 buttons to be fiddly and mistake prone. Maybe I'm not understanding something, but there is no way I'd consider managing that many buttons in a panel design.

That matrix would be simply refreshed from the program depending on conditions... code based dressing of a simple block of buttons - maybe show/hide a few extras as required.

But look, maybe I have misunderstood, in which case I'd be happy to have the situation explained. At this stage though, I don't see why?
    I find this concept of creating over 1000 buttons to be fiddly and mistake prone. Maybe I'm not understanding something, but there is no way I'd consider managing that many buttons in a panel design.

That matrix would be simply refreshed from the program depending on conditions... code based dressing of a simple block of buttons - maybe show/hide a few extras as required.

But look, maybe I have misunderstood, in which case I'd be happy to have the situation explained. At this stage though, I don't see why?

I ended up just doing 2 vertical scrolling subpages with all the inputs in one and outputs in the next, so when the user clicks on an input, the outputs scroll to the active output, and if the user changes that it will create the new route.. so now im down to 66 subpages (32 inputs, 32 outputs, 1 input scroll pane, 1 output scroll pane)

Im not in the office today, but Ill upload a screenshot of an audio switch I did individual scroll panes on, so you know what I had planned for the video switcher.
  • thanks for the details.

call me old school, i even think 66 pages is a lot :)

but when i realise it's really 66 buttons, then that makes more sense.

now I can understand where the 500 limit may become a problem.

i'd probably fallback to traditional (popup) pages and buttons where possible.

just my humble opinion, from curiousity.
    I forgot to upload this sooner, but as I had previously said I would do, here is my video switcher