Home BSS User Forum BSS General Discussion

A/D converter performance differences between BLU-BIB and Crown DCIn amps?

(Note - also posted in JBL Pro and Crown, because products from all three are potentially involved)

I am setting up a 7.1-channel system with 7 channels of JBL 7-series speakers, processed and powered by a Crown DCI8|600n, as well as and four subwoofers (fed from 1 input channel) powered by a Crown DCI4|1250n. Both amplifiers have Blu-link inputs as well as direct analog. The Crown amps are in an different room from the surround sound processor because of their very loud and obtrusive fans.

I could not find apples-to-apples specifications for the A/D converters on these Harman products, and I'd like to optimize the SNR. The two possibilities are:

1) Long (>25') 8-channel wall-rated balanced analog snake from the SSP to the Crown amps' analog inputs. (Or, more likely, all 8 to the 8|600n and then a short BLU-link connection to the 4|1250n, but same basic idea: direct analog in to the Crown amps, using their A/D converters).

2) Short (<3') analog runs from SSP to BSS BLU-BIB, and two long (>25') wall-rated cat6 for the BLU-link daisy chain.

Should I expect any SNR or other performance differences between the two scenarios? Cost difference is nominal but actually favors the BLU-BIB: I have a BLU-BIB, but I would have to buy bulk wall-rated analog snake cable and XLR connectors for the surround processor end.

Comments