Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

Connecting DVD player digital in surround

Hello
I would like to connect a dvd player digital in 5.1 suround. But what gear/dvd player should i use? any ideas?

Comments

• JoshMJoshM Posts: 5
    Typically a DVD player with a built in decoder is used. Then a simple interconnection of the 6 analog audio channels to any six processor inputs with standard analog cabling is used.

This will allow you to use either a standard DVD or High-Definition Blu-Ray player. I believe most of the Blu-Ray players that I have seen available at the local Best Buy store do have built in decoders.

Remember to steer clear of any HD-DVD players you see!
  • jonassjonass Posts: 15
    yes thats thats the analog connection which i kind of already had figured out :). but i was wondering if there was a way to connect a dvd DIGITAL ?
  • JoshMJoshM Posts: 5
    Yeah, as handy as it would be, pretty much nobody has done that. Unless you wanted to go find a decoder that would break down the digital stream into separate AES3 streams and then you could feed that into a digital input card, I think, maybe. Good luck with that, however... let us know what you find! We all want to do the same thing!
  • http://www.dolby.com/professional/pro_audio_engineering/dp564_01.html

A software decoder isn't going to happen.

Dan
  • jonassjonass Posts: 15
    thank you. that DP564 should do it. only problem is..... The price! :roll:
  • A computer running DVD playback software with a pro-level sound card could satisfy your needs. I personally prefer running a dedicated DVD playback PC based on Linux over a standalone player for certain applications.
  • rlagrlag Posts: 0
    Open message to the London Architect development team:
    Anybody care to help to develop a Dolby \"type\" matrix decoder? I've been working on it but can't get it to function fully. What we need is the ability to take a stereo - or preferably an LT/RT encoded - analog pair and make it derive left, center, right and surround by using a phase/level matrix. I can get most of it to work, but I really need a way to have a phase comparator so it will distinguish between signals that are in phase and equal level (which would go to the center - and be subtracted from the left & right) and out of phase / equal level (which would steer to the surround output - and also be subtracted from the left / right)
    Any thoughts?
  • \rlag\ wrote:
    Open message to the London Architect development team:
    Anybody care to help to develop a Dolby \"type\" matrix decoder? I've been working on it but can't get it to function fully. What we need is the ability to take a stereo - or preferably an LT/RT encoded - analog pair and make it derive left, center, right and surround by using a phase/level matrix. I can get most of it to work, but I really need a way to have a phase comparator so it will distinguish between signals that are in phase and equal level (which would go to the center - and be subtracted from the left & right) and out of phase / equal level (which would steer to the surround output - and also be subtracted from the left / right)
    Any thoughts?
    Hey, do you have a sneak peek of the design you made for the decoder? I'm looking into doing the same thing to matrix multiple surround channels in a surround setup.