Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

Shelf EQ not possible?

I have a London Soundweb 160 which and I have just received presets for my speakers. The presets require that I use a shelf EQ where I set frequency, gain and Q. To my surprise, I cannot seem to find this kind og filter on the BSS unit. Its possible to make a shelf but I cannot set the Q value.
The preset requires Freq=4,5khz, Gain -12db, Q=9.

Is it really true that this is not possible on the Soundwebs? The presets are for the Crown DSi/XTi amps which have this possibility and is way cheaper/simpler than the BSS units.

Comments

• It is part of the Parametric EQ. Set the filter type to high or low shelf.
  • \Graham\ wrote:
    It is part of the Parametric EQ. Set the filter type to high or low shelf.
    No, it is not possible to set the Q value.

Compare these results: (see picture below)

One is the Crown DSi amp and the other is the Soundweb london. This will not result in the same speaker tuning.
  • \Jonas_h\ wrote:
    \Graham\ wrote:
    It is part of the Parametric EQ. Set the filter type to high or low shelf.
    No, it is not possible to set the Q value.

Compare these results: (see picture below)

One is the Crown DSi amp and the other is the Soundweb london. This will not result in the same speaker tuning.

Hmm anybody? :)
  • Here is your picture
    bss_crown.jpg
  • Could you double check that the values given by the speaker manufacturer is a SHELF with Q=9 ?
    There is no relation between Q and slope. Q does not apply to a Shelf EQ, despite what the Crown amp control panel displays.
  • Could you double check that the values given by the speaker manufacturer is a SHELF with Q=9 ?
    There is no relation between Q and slope. Q does not apply to a Shelf EQ, despite what the Crown amp control panel displays.
    The presets for the speaker is a Crown DSi preset file, so they are created with those settigns I showed.

But I am confused about the Q value of the shelf too. Maybe there is a way to make the same setting by using the standard shelf from the BSS in addition with a single bell-filter? I just dont know the conversion.
  • One is the Crown DSi amp and the other is the Soundweb london. This will not result in the same speaker tuning.
  • Yes, I know, but the presets has not been published for the BSS. But given that the BSS is a much more advanced and powerful device, I would assume that I can just look at the Crown DSi settings and input them on the BSS. But this is not allowed because of the missing shelf functionality.
  • This is not missing functionality. There is no such thing as Q for a shelving filter. Q is a function of bandwidth of bell curves as you see in parametric filters. Bandwidth does not apply to a shelf.
    I think that best you can do is match the EQs up visually or by sending pink noise through them and matching the resulting spectrum analysis.
  • This is not missing functionality. There is no such thing as Q for a shelving filter. Q is a function of bandwidth of bell curves as you see in parametric filters. Bandwidth does not apply to a shelf.
    I think that best you can do is match the EQs up visually or by sending pink noise through them and matching the resulting spectrum analysis.
    That was my understanding as well. But I wonder how it is implemented in the DSi amps then.

I have used measurements for setting up the speaker now and it sounds great. But I would still like to have the original settings just to make sure eveything is as JBL wants it do be.
  • That would be a question for Crown...
  • rabierabie Posts: 1
    These diagrams illustrate how signal is routed through the three different mixer processing objects.
  • bFoozbFooz Posts: 1
    useful post