Home Crown User Forum Crown Amplifiers

Why little sparking sound comming from my xls2002 and 2502 between some time intervals?

Hello. I newly purchased xls2502 and xls2002 amps. But with stabilizer or without stabilizer a sparking type sound comming from the amp between some time intervals.. But no issue in output sound quality. Stabilizer also creating sound a lot. The problem in amps remains same with or without stabilizer. Is that sound normal? Or any technical problem is there? Please help me..

Best Answer

Answers

• SumitSumit Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    I am using xls2002 for pair jbl jrx 218 subwoofer and xls2502 for pair of tops JBL jrx 225. With soundcraft signature 16 mixer. And my stabilizer is studiomaster svc-s5000va, 5kva
  • Maybe bad solder join, take care around the PSU transistor or the output stage. Check also any solder around cable connection. Maybe you can identify the problem when tapping with a isolated screwdriver on the PCB while running. If it make sparking when you touch somewhere, take a look closer about solder in this corner.

• Hi DMX...
    Good call; I concur with your assessment, and it works even better in dimmed lighting so long as one keeps safety in mind.
    Do you know if this forum moderated at all? I've seen nothing indicating such. I replied to a topic started by another new forum member but they have not responded. 'Could be any number of reasons. I wanted a moderator to contact the forum member at their registered email address to let them know that people have responded to their post.

• JensenJensen Posts: 9

If the forum is moderated, its done quite poorly

• scytechscytech Posts: 148

Trying to determine if amplifier or preamps:
    Does the noise appear with or without input connections? Without inputs connected: possible amp issue; With input connections only: possible pre-amp and connection issue;
    If without inputs : with or without amp level at minimum? If set to min and still heard: possible output drive issue;
    If volume necessary: preamp side; possible regulation issue, verify caps, connections, switches, etc.
    Alain

• Is this still the same little, 'sparking' (arcing?) sound thread? It's quite old... 2018.
    Original text indicates two devices exhibit what I'm thinking is arcing.
    Need to confirm that.
    Do you have known-working gear that can be employed to isolate only one of the problem-children?
    Something else that might help is assessing temperature.
    Won't bore you with an extensive troubleshooting story that after weeks turned out to be a 10-second fix.
    Otherwise, true arcing indicates enough power... ac or dc, is flowing to create it in the first place, and loud enough for you to hear it in second.
    I am not familiar with those pieces of gear; mine is vintage 46 years young and performing very well.
    Ask the neighbors...

My bad! Should have checked the date... I agree that true arcing requires power. It might even be dangerous!
    I would still like to know your simple solution and a rundown of your troubleshooting. Never know when your situation might come up! ;) Have a great day!
    Alain

• Yeh... You bad!
    :)
    The issue happened many decades ago. I was brought a receiver that had an intermittent cutout, a techhie's worst nightmare. It was brought to me after it had been taken to others who could not repair it. I certainly don't know everything, but have been called the, 'go-to' guy for many years, by friends and colleagues alike.

I mean total power failure. It would turn on and play fine... longer when volume low, and shorter when volume high. After hours of head-scratchin', tests with meters, heat, freeze-spray, and a variety of other tactics, it remained unsolved. After doing everything I knew how, I decided to dismantle the entire system, which meant desoldering dozens of connections, unwinding dozens of wire-wraps, and who-knows how much hardware. That was decades before digital cameras, and I couldn't afford 35mm B&W film, and didn't have time to wait a week for developing, so I made sketches of everything and took copius notes. Following hours of careful scrutiny with eyeballs and finding nothing, I got out a magnifying glass and repeated the examination. Finding nothing with that, I got out a pocket-sized 40x magnifier and started over. That did it!

Very creatively, to save valuable internal real-estate, the OEM had coined the metal base in four locations and installed threaded standoffs for the power transformer. Very good! The main PCB had four oversized holes in it, and the board was installed over the standoffs before being secured elsewhere with other hardware, then wiring installed.

There was minimal clearance between the underside of the power transformer and the top of the board, and it was during careful examination of the wide, power-handling traces in that area that I noticed a hairline crack, and a couple attendant small black spots where arcing had occurred. I forgot the make & model long ago, but I do recall that it was technically very well built, and everything back then was hand-made. The crack in the traces was weird.

The clearances were so small that when cool, the trace(s), which were wide, would contract, making connection. After the power xfmr warmed up, the board would expand ever so slightly, breaking connection, killing the party. The fix took maybe a couple minutes... scrape conformal/epoxy from the full width of the traces and join with copper wire.

I called my classmate and told them to collect their amp. They asked if I'd been successful; I only said to, 'come see me', leaving them obviously in an unsettled frame of mind. I love my customers, particularly if they're friends, but they also know I might mess with them! His mindset changed in a jiffy upon arrival, when they saw and heard their amp playing rather robustly. I had them put their hand on the amp, and it was pretty toasty, as it should be. It had never become that warm because it would always cut out. After disconnecting their gear and handing it to them, they wanted to know what they owed me; "Nothing. The lessons learned were priceless. Now go & have fun with your toy!"

"And now you know... the rest of the story!"
    "Good day!"

But this is a twofer. You get another story.

Cute girl in (private Christian) high school brings me an inoperable portable radio. Gwen said that while listening, it had fallen off her dresser and hit the edge of her bed, then the floor, then gone quiet. It held sentimental value to her, and she was pretty broken up about it. Sounds like the fix would be rather simple, right? Right thought, wrong sound!

Couldn't for the life of me find anything wrong; case intact, no loose or broken hardware, plastic, wiring, or anything else I could find. Even the antenna! Keywords: "that I could find." So I contacted the girl's dorm supervisor and explained the situation, and that I needed to discuss the matter with her personally. Doing that there was a no-no, but the supervisor was curious, so together we connected with Gwen. I explained what I'd done, and that I'd not found the problem. She was again in tears in short-order, then I suggested we re-create the scene of the crime. She put it back exactly where it was, plugged it in and turned it on... nothing.

"Now", I said, "push it off the dresser exactly as it had fallen."
    "What?"
    "You have nothing to lose. Try it."
    Gwen pushes it off the edge, it hits the bed siderail, then the floor.
    And it started playing!
    Let's just say that the end of that repair was unforgettable!

But this is a tech site, not a storytelling forum, yet those are two of many more crazy tech-tales I could tell; hope you enjoyed both!

Merry Christmas!
    And remember the real reason for the season!

Rich

Thank you for those priceless 'experiences'!
    Yes I also have had intermittencies, one that took about three years to resolve!
    Hope the best to you and yours! See you in another discussion!
    Alain
    NB: Have been a new collaborator for only the past week! Needed some catching up...