Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Software Control

2 diff. 260 wanna run on same laptop

pintu_snlpintu_snl Posts: 2
Hi this Pintu,
Hi i'm using driverack 260 since from last year. It is fantastic, i'm controlling the device via laptop. now i'ad purchased another one, my problem starts now, how can i controll two diff. 260 on same laptop, because programme is same for both, if i connect two diff. usb cable then also my start up prog. is same, so for second one i have to change port add. then to aply changes need to restart the prog. again......... so each n every time its taking too much time.
so please can you help me out in that case.

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    No good solutions ... yet... you can only control 1 at a time ....

Gadget
  • fotofxfotofx Posts: 5
    DBX could make this allot simpler if they would just add a line or two of code to read a command line type switch. If it was set up so that when you run the driveware.exe program you could add a port after the command. Like \"driveware.exe 1\" would load the device on com1 etc. Then you could just have multiple shortcuts on your desk and each one would open a differant rack. DBX, are you listening??

Steve
  • I've had my DR 260 for 6 months and love the Driveware GUI controls and displays. Now I want to add a couple of monitor mixes, and started thinking another 260.

Any update on the issue of \"driving\" 2 - 260's simultaneously on same computer (since Gadget's Dec. 2006 post)?

Does the same issue apply to running a 260 GUI and another DR (e.g. 442) GUI on the same computer?

Thanks.
  • kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hello clearsound

You could open the application twice and under preferences select com1 for one of the applications and select com2 for the other... You will have to close and then re-open the application for which you changed the com port in... If you happen to have both a RS-232 com port and a USB to RS-232 converter or two USB to RS-232 converters set one up as com1 and the other as com2....:)

Cheers!

Kevin
  • Thanks, Kevin,

I experimented with running 2 copies of the GUI at once, and it seemed like what you described should work. But with only 1 260 at this point, I couldn't test it.

I hoped for a more elegant solution: I tried installing a second copy of Driveware in a different folder with a different .exe filename, and started a copy of each. But DW must maintain only one copy of the Preferences data in some central place that it updates when you close it down. I don't know enough about how Windows programs work to understand what's happening.

Anyway, the same approach should work with one 260 and one or more 400/4000 series DRs.

Thanks again, Steve
  • RacertrashRacertrash Posts: 59
    Is this still true or have there been any updated to controlling multiple units? thanks
    I was wondering if it would be better to use some kind of a data switch and use one software program and switch between the two unit or more. can this be done or would the software need to be restarted every time? Thanks
    One 260 at a time...log out... log in to the other 260...it's a serial port limitation...

G
  • I now regularly run 2 DR260's with 2 copies of the GUI open at the same time. I connect each to a separate USB port though RS232 to USB converters. I start one copy, which will use the USB port that I last started the GUI on, then change the Preferences to point to the other USB port and start another copy.
    Cool! I often wondered if there wasn't a way with USB ...as I said, the limiting factor previously was serial port allocation... this then requires 2 USB to serial converters...? Which ones are you using .. If you detail your success I will document it and post it on the FAQ section... with credits of course!
    Thanks.. this is good mews...I wonder what the limiting number is? Do you know if more than 2 are possible?

Gadget
  • kpippen's post Oct 29, 2007 described how to do this and deserves the credit. See his post in the topic history below.

My laptop doesn't have a serial port, so I picked up a couple of USB to Serial Port Cable converters at The Source by Circuit City - $32.00 Cdn each The brand name was Nexxtech, but that might be particular to Canadian stores. The packaging contained instructions on installing the converter device driver in varieties of Windows from 98 to XP. I think I also googled and found an updated driver.

You can certainly start multiple copies of the GUI, so the only limitation I foresee is the number of USB ports.

If you have a Serial port, you might be able to use it for one copy, and use a USB to Serial converter for another. Has anyone tried that?
  • JerryWJerryW Posts: 46
    I would love to write a 'third-party' DriveRack GUI. That's my primary business. This sound stuff is developing into a passion, but software development is my bread and butter. I have worked with COM in the past reading GPS data from GPS units.

Does anyone know if dbx publishes the protocol? It wouldn't be difficult to reverse-engineer, but it would be better to work from an existing blueprint.

By the way, I continue to read as much as I can on this Forum. The questions are great and the ansewrs greater. Thanks, everyone.

Jerry
    Just had another thought on the GUI. It would be great to have something that tracks values reported by the 260. For example, feedback frequencies, when they hit, etc. From my perspective, shallow though it may be, having the ability to record various issues for later review could be very helpful.

Good night.

Jerry
    Just had another thought on the GUI. It would be great to have something that tracks values reported by the 260. For example, feedback frequencies, when they hit, etc. From my perspective, shallow though it may be, having the ability to record various issues for later review could be very helpful.
    Yes, it would also be very helpful to be able to store and compare Auto EQ passes and have an auto averaging feature that would allow you to average the various room points to equalize the system to a given room...

As for the code, I'll explore my sources and see if I can get that done...perhaps you could even write a code for the new DPPA+ so there would be a GUI available for it... you could even perhaps sell said software, since I don't see it coming down the road any time soon... :idea:

Gadget
    Jerry, if you do software, you know that there no amount of data that is not helpful.

Any logging of what occurs either realtime or after the fact can help make us better. Feedback logging would be great,

I would like to see the screeens be larger and more ways to make fine adjustments with out a mouse, Maybe a dial that can be activated or a Fine and coarse adjustment option.

I dont know if you could look this far but maybe this interface could even consider some other DSP options with the Crown XTI for instance. I can see where I would have both things running in the future.

If you have not looked at it, take a look at Bandmanager, I love the layouts on that software.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I second the thought of a full screen window and for Auto averaging. That would invaluable.

Jerry, did you make a move on your expansion project?

DRA
    edited July 2009
    Getting support from the folks at dbx would be great!!!! And since I live near Salt Lake City, that may be helpful as well.

I hear the calls for full screen, scalable views, etc. I use a very high resolution laptop and the current interface is very small.

We could also make it very easy to do A/B comparisons between EQ settings. That would help me out greatly.

As for selling it, I am inclined to charge you all the same price for lending my expertise that you have charged me for your expertise. Let's see here, what have I paid you all for your advice, counsel, wisdom, and general good humor? NOTHING!!!!

Thanks, everyone again. This is one place where what you get is worth much more than you pay for it.

As for expansion projects, a movie is still in the works. Just finished the DVD for the musical we did last fall. I'll be happy to ship one to anyone that would like one.

Jerry
    Just thinking out loud here. As things are now, we save all settings into one 'user preset'. What about the ability to create a library of EQ settings, Cross over schemes, Delays, fixed Feedback frequencies, Amp settings, etc. Then you could just drag and drop these into a current preset. Also, the ability to copy and paste a section's settings from one stored preset into another one?

We could really create a powerful tool here . . .

Jerry
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Definately want one. I'll send a PM.

DRA
    Ya
    Me too...
    I sent in our request, we should know something soon...

G
    Me Too
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    And then there were four.

Dennis
    If you want a DVD, you'll need to PM me your address.

Thanks.

By the way, I'm hooking up the 260 tonight to start writing an interface. Hope to hear back from dbx soon.

Jerry
    I did. Did you get it??
    Racertrash, got the PM. Thanks.

Got the 260 connected last night. Can send and receive data to/from the 260. That's the first step.

Next step: Either get the Protocol from dbx or reverse-engineer the protocol by monitoring communication between the current GUI and the DriveRack.

Any news, Gadget?

Thanks.

Jerry
    Hey Jerry...

I assume they were closed yesterday...holiday weekend and all, and nothing yet... but soon.. I hope...

Oh wait.. here we go...Mike has forwarded the request to the engineers, and he will let us know as soon as he can...

So, there you have it...you got my PM then?

G
    Gadget, got the PM. Thanks.

The structure seems to be pretty straight forward. A series of messages sent preceeded at times by the number of bytes in the next message. I've played with changing the active Preset, muting and un-muting channels. Hope to get something from dbx, though. Would make life much easier.

Thanks.

Jerry
    Jerry.. I think we hit the jackpot.. see your PM...
    G
    Gadget,

Just had a great conversation with someone who is going to work on our request to get the DriveRack 260 Serial Protocol. No promises and don't know what the parameters will be if it is made available, but, I am hopeful.

Great work, Gadget.

Jerry
    Wow, I am really excited by this and cant wait!