Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Shopping for the right tool

bonj87bonj87 Posts: 6
ok i do sound for a local band here in chicago. i use a mackie 1604 mixer, a peavey cs400 for the mains, and a couple smaller amps for the monitors. They dont use subs, so I dont use them yet.
im hoping one of these DBX peices will let me run my mains in and out, and control my monitors.
my monitors I mean, be able to control each vocalist's level in his\\her monitor. in looking at the units, im confused on how to do this. currently, I just use my aux sends to go to thier amps, then to thier monitors. the problem with this is, any eq i do on the board goes to thier monitors as well.. thus if I turn the highs up in the mains, the highs go up in the monitors and feedback can occurr. am i looking at the right stuff here? (the dbx driverack series) OR do i need a better board to start with?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    On the VLZ see the (PRE) buttons just below the aux sends 1 and 2, push them DOWN use ONLY aux 1 and 2 for monitor sends, and you will not get any changes when you eq or use the channel fader because the signal comes
    post lo cut pre EQ... this means that the eq and anything after it are not going to affect the monitor sends...

The driverack would be very nice as a monitor processor I use a 240 and a 260.. the DRPA would not be as good since its not all separate between the channels and does not have the PEQ's or the Dynamics processing... And with only 2 channels you would need one for the FOH and one for the monitor processing.. but life WOULD BE GRAND if you had this! The 400 series can control 4 separate monitor mixes...

Is that what you wanted to know?
    Gadget
  • Options
    sort of yes.
    the main thing im trying to get my head around is this..
    if I only use aux 1 and 2 for monitor sends for 3 or 4 mics, how can the 260 make seperate monitor mixes? As far as I can tell, it cant, so Id need the 400 series, which would do the FOH AND monitor mixes.. right?
  • Options
    Correct, if you want 2 monitor mixes AND at least mono FOH. I went with the 260 because its way cheaper for two, has the auto feedback and RTA, more dynamics control... there are other 3 channel processors out there but I really like those features, and the 260 just sounds good...I saved over $500 and got the features that make the difference for my stage needs...and FOH. The only issue is the lack of ability to control 2 units or more with the GUI...
    If the 260 had that it would be a way better than the 400 series hands down..
    Gadget
  • Options
    im going to start my hunt for 1 260 to start with using for the FOH.
    then if it work out as well as everyone says, ill find another for my floor monitors.
  • Options
    Good call! you'll be blown away with the difference it makes in the system...make sure to read the Tutorials at the other site the \"former forum home\" and watch the provided tutorials bx DBX above
    gadget
  • Options
    yeah, i was even looking at the peavey, tc electronics, bbe systems..
    the tc electronics looks nice, but not feedback protection.
  • Options
    Watch out that TC electronics unit is being looked down on heavily by the pro audio community for reliability issues.. the Peavey ... they are having trouble (LOTS) making their promises come true...BBE... please... lets not go there...
    gadget
  • Options
    hahah why dont you like BBE equipment? ive used thier stuff in my guitar racks for years and love them there.
    i have one in my live pa rack now.. but id dump it for a 260 if i could find one i could afford.
  • Options
    Hmmm.. could it be that the BBE is a Psychoacoustic distortion generator? In a situation where they are used as a channel insert/effect type thing they are fine, but as a whole system processor... I too used them till I plugged in the Driverack one time and had my socks knocked off.. ABSOLUTELY NO comparison...
    G