Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Aux fed subs & drpa

jgleasonjgleason Posts: 4
edited February 2007 in PA General Discussion
Hello,

I'm beginning to experiment with feeding my subwoofer from an auxillary mix. This allows me to create a separate mix for the subwoofer where I'll only route keys, bass, kick drum, etc. post-fader into the subwoofer and I'll be able to control the volume level of the subs from the aux master send. These signals will also be sent to the L/R main mix as well. I experimented with this the other day and the kick drum is now finally beating my chest and the guitars are really cutting through the mix.

The issue is that I haven't figured out how a way to route two separate mixes into the DRPA so that I can use the x-over for the aux mix as well as the tops and so that I can eq the subs separately from the tops as well. Perhaps it wasn't built for this. If not, I'll continue to use it for the tops and get a separate processor for the subs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    Sure its possible, it would be easy with the 260, but the DRPA has limitations. One is that the dynamics are tied together...The signal is separate for the GEQ's, Xover, but not the Comp/limiters, AFS, sub harmonic synth, even the PEQ's post Xover are tied together for each band.. So.. If you were running a three way top mains you would not have the ability to do so. If however you were running two way tops, and subs you could... you wouldn't be able to utilize all the functions.. and you would only have 2 bands of PEQ... but it is possible...Look at the block diagram on page 4 of the manual and you'll see the routing limitations...I have provided along with others, a wealth of information at the FORMER FORUM you can access above in the Tutorials and user submitted white papers, and use key word searchs to get a ton of info.. we have been doing this for years.
    Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You can, but you have to give up a few things. You'd have to run mono tops and the FBX is common to both inputs. You would have separate Pre-EQ, but only 2 Post PEQ for the subs (you'd only have 2 anyway). You'd still have separate limiting and delay. There is some good info in the FORMER FORUM above.

DRA
    Dang, beat to the punch. As always, Gadget's the man.

DRA
    You hang in there Dra...I appreciate your input. I have some trying times ahead and I will be hit or miss sometimes. Keep up the good work...
    Gadget
  • So what do you guys think about running a separate subwoofer mix in general? Is this common practice? What are some of the downfalls?

I do like the idea of being able to control the mix of instruments separately for the sub but I haven't done it live yet, only in rehearsal under very controlled circumstances. It seams like I'm losing alot of the DRPAs functionality if I route the sub mix into the DRPA. I'm now thinking that the DRPA probably doesn't do a whole lot for the sub mix anyway. The sub mixes frequency bandwidth is only from 20hz - 120hz so there's not much to EQ. Compressing the kick drum or bottom end of the bass doesn't make too much of a difference in my mind either. Probably not going to have too many feedback issues with the sub mix either. Therefore I'm thinking I'll just run the main mix into the DRPA and route the sub mix directly into the subwoofer and call it a day. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I appreciate your time and help.

Jeff
    Do you have means to put a Hi & Lo pass filter on your sub output? When funds allow, get yourself a 260. I had a PA for over a year and after hearing Gadget praise the 260 I gave in and got one. WOW!! I actually gained better knowledge of the PA from using the 260. If you get one, throw the sub mix to the PA. I can think of some real world situations why most of the functions in the PA would be needed for a sub mix. Specifically pre-EQ, AFS, HPF & LPF, post PEQ, Limiting, & Delay.
    I have never aux sub mixed. I've read good things about it, but I would be concerned about the upper registers of the bass guitar and keys getting lost. Unless you routed them back into the mains mix. Well now I've done it, I'm confused. Gadget???

DRA
    Did it for a lot of years but the 260 is such a great piece I went back to just running everything back through the 260.. simply because I DONT have a second one to do it and I run stereo..... It really does have a great many benefits and one of the most significant is that ONLY those things you want to use will be in the subs. If I were to make more money doing this and it wasn't a part time thing I would DEFINITELY run aux feds! It cleans up the mix considerably.. and less eq is needed.. the problem with the drpa is that it is limited in the number of PEQ's available post eq.. BUT if it were available for that purpose only the Pre EQ could be set to PEQ and you'd have a pretty good processor for the subs.. I think you will REALLY like it once you try it.. you'll most likely never go back..

Gadget
  • Very good, guys. Thanks for the input, as always. I really was impressed the other night when we tried it a rehearsal. I really liked being able to crank the electronic kick drum in the sub separately. Thunder!!!!!

Later,

Jeff