Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

The DBX-160a Compressor

Diddi997Diddi997 Posts: 2
i was wondering...

Im looking for a compressor/sustainer, to get more solid sound.

so i was wondering if i could you the DBX-160a compressor with my ampeg when im playing on practices or Live?

can i use it as an \"effect\" on my ampeg?

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    hmmmm...
    I might be able to answer the question but it's NOT a Driverack question... this IS a Driverack Forum... If you want answers you will need to be a WHOLE lot more informational(is that a word?) it is now... I need to know what an \"Ampeg\" is...What you have and how you perceive using it, and what
    you expect the 160 unit to do...
    gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget, I have a 90 Celebrity wagon with factory radio / cassette player. The right speakers don't get as loud as the left ones. Do I need a new radio or new speakers?

Your pal,
    DRA
    Open the hood, jack up the radiator cap...and drive a new car under it...problem solved...

:lol:
    Thanks Dra!
  • AJayAJay Posts: 28
    I have to say, i feel some sympathy for Diddi, as there is no forum for the non-driverack products.

I think that the 160A compressor would work well for a bass amp. Does the Ampeg have an effects loop? How do you currently have the rig set up? Which ampeg amp is it? what is the rest of the rig like?
  • MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    If a Distressor is not available, the 160X/XT/A is my next choice for bass. I have 5 of them in my rack.

Mikey
  • Here is all you need for bass guitar.

http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/multicomp.htm

While the DBX unit may work for you, it is a line level unit. You need an instrument level device that matches the impedence of the output of your bass or you may end up with a noisy output.

Good luck

Ken
    Ken..
    The Driverack can operate at +4 db and -10 (the button next to the inputs) and so it IS an awesome tool for bass guitar and we have MANY players here that believe in the Driverack for this purpose and are getting superior results.. to suggest that that \"footwarmer\" could even hold a candle to the Driverack is simply ... well let's just say you would have a REALLY hard sell with me and a whole lot of others...I'm not trying to belittle your favorite tool.. but come on.. a full featured device like the Driverack versus a foot pedal...? You will have to do some serious convincing to get me to believe that your device could do 1/100th of what the Driverack will do.. but mind you I have an open mind and a curious nature so \"school me\"!

gadget
  • MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    Creation versus replication of sound represent two completely different strategies. After 25+ years in the studio, all I can say is that if it sounds right, it is right.

Too many gear snobs, like Fletecher from Mercenary Audio, just don't get the fact that there are only two things in life (music included): goal and process. If the piece of gear gets you to your goal, it's a valuable piece of gear.

Soooooo, if that foot stomper makes the bass sound like the bass player, producer, engineer, etc. want it to sound, it's the right tool for the job.

There have been quite a few times that multiband compression has saved my butt on bass guitar. I don't think any of the DriveRack stuff has that tool under the hood.

Just my nickel (to account for inflation).

Mikey