Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

mix-n-match speakers

DraDra Posts: 3,777
edited April 2007 in PA General Discussion
I recently bought a Yorkville NX250P for monitor use. Liked it enough to buy another. Problem, discontinued and I can't find one any where. Found several rental units in Canada for sale, but they want full list or almost full list for boxes that have been rented for 200-300 days. I can get a new NX25P for less money. Heres the rub. Although the 25P is the replacement of the 250P, there is a 3/4 octive difference on the low end and crossover point change from 2000 to 2300. I would need to run these 2 different cabs on a common, and only, monitor mix, but would probably be spread a minimum of 5' apart and probably 10' or more.
I will use my DRPA for these speakers. If I assume that the general response above the 3/4 octive difference is close then I can raise the High pass filter to the higher of the 2 cabs and use the 3 band PEQ common on both. OR Put one on the Mid out and be limited to 2 PEQs. OR Something else?
If someone has a NX250P for sell, I'd definately rather go that route.

Thanks,
DRA

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well... I found the NX250P here.. went through the whole purchase process and it didn't say they were out or none in stock...
    http://www.cintiolimusiconline.com/prod ... d9dc3f989a
    Let me know if you can't get any and I'll look into the rest of the possibilities...
    gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Thanks, I have an email in to them to verify thayt they have one. (No one available until after lunch) I called or emailed at least a dozen places that showed them on their site, but in the end nobody had one. Most would say, \"Yea, we got them.\" The I would say, \"You have a 250P, not a 25P?\", then they would say, \"Oh, we have the 25P.\" The site you gave looked familiar, but but I don't show a response and I don't recall a phone coversation to PA. If this pans out you are the man. Again.

Given the scenario that I laid out in the original post, am I right in pressing that the cabs be exact or am I too concerned. Given the same. What would you do?

Thanks,
    DRA
    You know ...in a monitor application I don't see a problem... the true difficulty in deploying dissimilar speakers is in the long throw applications, but in single coverage situations as in monitor applications where the performers pretty much stay in the sweetspot, and are in the nearfield of the speaker the difference should be negligible...even in situations where you give two monitors close together to a single person... there is always anomalies in this situation but shouldn't be too unpredictable...or create so many problems that it would be unusable...
    Gadget
    Thanks, Gadget. I always value your input. Just spoke to Cintioli. No go. I have a week or so before I HAVE to make a move. Maybe a 250P will fall out of the sky.

DRA
    Try contacting Yorkville direct see if they have any \"B\" stocks or Factory repairs, or they might show someone that has inventory...

G
    I did contact the regional sales manager for the Southeast about a week ago. He directed me to Long & McQuade. They're the ones with the unrealistic resale prices on the rental units.

Thanks, again.
  • alakanialakani Posts: 1
    This might be a obvious, but since the units are coming from Canada, the prices you got might be in CAD and not USD. Canadian dollars = 88% of US Dollars right now. So they might be a good deal after all. :)
    No, I had the conversions and they were wanting close to or equal to list. I ended up getting the newer version with no regrets.

Thanks,
    DRA