Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Using PEQ AFTER using Auto EQ

DraDra Posts: 3,777
Having read that GEQ causes delay and phase issues and that PEQ is smoother, I ask this.
Assuming an optimized system. After Auto-EQing \"for\" the room and adjusting the false reading areas by ear, under what situations would it be advisable to note the +/- freq's and transfer them to the Pre-PEQ. I realize that if the room was all over the place it might not work, but IF 6 or 7 bands (leaving a couple of spares if needed) would \"fix\" the room, should you?

DRA[/u]

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yo Dra...
    Absolutely... I believe I even suggest that numerous times on the other forum. yes here from the \"New indoor method\":

I did this with my new 12\" coaxial tops, (as you can see in the pictures) and I was able to store High precision setups for -0-, A, C, and D, precurves in about 10 minutes, and that includes a couple passes @ -0- (flat) to get as flat a response as possible using the PEQ's with no \"GEQ\" equalization.

That is what I do at my primary venue.. the GEQ is essentially flat at all times unless I need to\"Grab a freq\" quickly. Very astute...Keep up the good work...BTW you were essentially correct in your response about the driver sizes with one exception... the 1.4\" drivers utilize the same diaphragm as the 2\" exits...they just shrink the aperture and remove the phase plug ... this gives higher frequency response.
    Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You wrote.
    \"That is what I do at my primary venue.. the GEQ is essentially flat at all times unless I need to\"Grab a freq\" quickly.\"

Are you talking about an outboard unit here?
    Or are you saying that you have so few corrections that you find it easier to use the onboard graphic for quick pull downs vs the parametric and fumbling with 3 settings?

Had you ever heard the 1-2-3 theory?

And you are right, an engineer can ruin a good system. I was at a festival a couple of years ago, the guy had a low freq roar that would ebb and flow, but never went away for long. I isolated it as the floor tom within about a half a song. The engineer never fixed it in Grand Funk RR's 1-1/2 hr set. I wanted to tell him, \"Hey dude, check the floor tom.\", but then I remembered how I'd feel... You ever notice how many times you here, \"Yeah, I run sound at my church.\" or \"How many watts is that amp?\"

I guess that's the sound man's curse. Can't go to a show and just enjoy. Gotta critique the set-up, the sound, the mix.

DRA
    DRA...
    NO I do NOT believe in that...defeats the purpose of the DR...any outboard equipment compromises the whole idea in my opinnion...

Ok you seem to be reaching here... I use the 24 post crossover PEQ's (on the 260) to \"tune\" the speaker system , and when I need to pull a quick frequency I use the 28 band GEQ on the 260 augmented with the gui to make the quick pick usually while monitoring the FBX unit...

Look, I set up the system with the Driverack set up in the left center of the video monitor....... with the RTA in the lower left hand corner the GEQ top left, the FBX top right and the limiters on the lower right of the GUI screen...

let me know if you need more....

gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I was just trying to clarify that you said you have suggested in posts to use the PRE-PEQ, but you use the GEQ. That's all. Thanks for your willingness to help.
    DRA
    I do use the PRE PEQ on monitors...
    I just don't need the pre EQ on my main system...
    G