Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

Sharing aa insert device

DraDra Posts: 3,777
This is not technically a Driverack question, but there is one in the rack. Ha
I have a common set-up where a podium has 2 mics for various pairs of MC's of differing heights and vocal projections. Because of this I have to CRANK the mics. I insert a AFS224 on these channels so I don't kill the over all mix for singer, music, etc. Is there a way to tie 1 side of the 224 to 2 channel inserts at the same time, thus saving the other side for another problem mic if needed? This solution needs to be \"wiring\" solution.

Thanks,
David

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Depends on you r mixer. If you have the ability to turn the individual channels off in the mains and the ability to route those channels to a sub master buss you could sum them there and run them through an inserted 224 or send the output to the 224 and then back into a channel if not.. as I said depends on the mixer...what is it?

gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It's a Peavey RQ series mixer. 3-4 years old and no longer made. No Aux busses, no group busses. Only L/R mains, 2 Mon, 2 FX. What I was wondering was could I buy a \"stereo female to 2x stereo male\" patch cord and plug in to both channel inserts from the 1 side of the 224. I've mentally routed it and it seems as though mic 1 would go to the 224 and back into ch 1 and ch 2, and mic 2 would go to the 224 (same side) and back to ch 2 and ch 1. Does that mean that each mic channel is in some part controlling both mics? If that is the case and one mic needed to be hotter than the other, would I loose that ability?
    I kinda think I need to avoid a third problematic mic situation.

David
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey David,
    Ya but you could send the signal out of either monitor send )they are pre fader)and into the 224, then out of the 224 and back into one of the channel strips on the mixer that way you can sum pre 224 and process post... should work and you'll only need two 1/4 x 1/4 inch cables... that other way you are changing impedances, causing interactions between channels and who knows what...I'd be careful trying that... It would probably work, but not well. So what do you think?
    G
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Thanks Gadget, I can always count on you to either solve my problem or confirm what I feared to be true. In this case, I already use Mon 2 and a channel, as you described, for vocals proccessing with a BBE unit. I use Mon 1 for my only needed monitor mix. I appreciate the input.

David