Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

POTENTIAL DRIVERACK BUYER

gtgt Posts: 3
edited April 2007 in PA General Discussion
HEY, IM A SINGER IN 4PC ROCK BAND. I ALSO SETUP OUR SOUND, WHICH IS BARE BONES AND WE DONT HAVE SOUNDMAN. WE ARE WANTING TO UPGRADE OUR SOUND. IM GOING TO LIST WHAT WE HAVE AND KINDA WHAT WE WANT TO DO TO KEEP IT SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE MAYBE INCORPORATING THE DRIVERACK PA. ( YAMAHA MG 16/4 MIXER) (DIGETECH STUDIO PROCESSOR) (OLD HEAVY PEAVEY PV-2000 AMP) (2 JBL JRX 115 FOH SPEAKERS) WE MONITOR OUT OF YAHAMA 1 X 15 SPEAKER CENTERED IN FRONT OF ME. DRUMMER HAS OFFBRAND 1 X 12 MONITOR. BASICALLY RUNNING OUT OF PV 2000 INTO THE 2 JBL'S AND 2 MONITORS. DRUMMER USES TRIGGERS . KICK AND SNARE THRU MIXER. GUITAR AND BASS NOT MIKED. WE PLAY 100-200 PERSON CLUBS. SHOULD WE GO WITH 2 SUBS AND MOUNT JBL'S ON POLES AND MIKING EVERYTHING TO SEPERATE LOWS AND HIGHS ETC ? WE WANT TO KEEP SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE AS POSSIBLE, YET IMPROVE ON WHAT WE HAVE. THE DRIVE RACK SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DEAL, JUST DONT WANT TO HAVE TO SPEND $1000 ON MORE STUFF TO USE THE $500 DRIVERACK. ANY HELP BUT BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS,

GARY

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Can you be more specific? How many mixes are you using? FOH, Mon 1 & Mon 2 (3 mixes), FOH & Mon 1 with 2 speaker (2 mixes), or FOH & 2 monitor speakers (1 mix)?
    What do you want the DRPA to do for you (specifally)?
    What do you mean that you don't want to spend another $1000 to use the DRPA?

DRA
  • gtgt Posts: 3
    IM SORRY. I TRIED TO BE SPECIFIC. RUNNING EFFECTS THRU 2 FOH SPEAKERS AND 2 MONITORS. NOTHING MIKED BUT DRUMS AS MENTIONED. WE HAVE NO SUBS, COMPRESSOR/LIMITER/GATE OR E/Q. DBX SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS ALL IN ONE BOX. IF WE BI-AMP WITH SUBS WE NEED TO MIKE
    INSTRUMENTS TO SEPERATE VOCALS, HIGHS AND LOWS, RIGHT? IF I BUY 2 18 IN SUBS ,SAY PEAVEY. DBX WILL TAKE CARE OF CROSSOVER AND OTHERS BEFORE MENTIONED, RIGHT? WILL MY PV2000 BE ENOUGH OR WILL I HAVE TO BUY SEPERATE AMP FOR MAINS AND MONITORS AND PV-2000 TO RUN SUBS? BASICALLY, (2) 18\" SUBS, DBX PA, POSSIBLY ANOTHER AMP, MAYBE (1) MORE MONITOR OUT FRONT TO HAVE BETTER ON STAGE VOLUME AND THAT LEAVES (1) MONITOR FOR DRUMMER. (2) MAINS (2) MONITORS IN FRONT (1) MONITOR FOR DRUMMER. DOES THAT MAKE THINGS UNEQUAL NOT RUNNING (6) SPEAKERS? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

GARY
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The Driverack PA is a speaker controller only.
    It contains a crossover (up to tri-amp), which can also be used as a filter for the full range cabs you have.
    It has a 28 band, whole system EQ.
    It has a feed back killer.
    It has compression on the input side. It should be clear that this is whole system compression. In other words, if the band is playing and the the input to the DRPA is just below the compression threashhold and you start screaming in the mic to excite the crowd, the entire mixed signal will be squashed. The compressor is rarely used for your application.
    It has 3 post crossover PEQ's for speaker tuning (hi).
    It has 2 post crossover PEQ's for speaker tuning (mid).
    It has 2 post crossover PEQ's for speaker tuning (lo).
    It has alignment delay for driver alignment, but only 10ms available.
    It has limiters for speaker protection on each output.
    No gate.
    Although it has a left and right input, most of the functions are tied together. So you can't use it to adequately control FOH AND monitors. (to do that you would need to step up to the 260, a few hundred dollars more, but it gives you 2 DRPA's in one unit and a tone more features, well worth it)
    Whether you need subs or what you amplify with your system is a question that you have to decide based on your needs. I can't imagine a rock band not having subs though, unless you play at background level only.

There is a lot of info on the \"Former Forum\" link above. Check it out. FYI, on my browser the link tab is blank until you put your arrow on it.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey Dra..

Really? Thats weird...It shows on mine. Hmmm

Hey Gary..It's considered bad form and yelling to use only Caps.. just a friendly FYI..and it makes it hard to read..

Gadget..yet another Gary :lol: