Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Cossover recommendation for Dynacord d-lite series

modernsoundmodernsound Posts: 13
edited May 2007 in PA General Discussion
Cossover recommendation for Dynacord d-lite series? I am a DJ. I have a Dbx driverack pa, And I have a dynacord d-lite system. I have two D12w tops and a Dynacord sub 115. The whole system is passive. I use a europower EP 2500. What baseline setting should I use to start with the RTA the automatic equalization?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• modernsoundmodernsound Posts: 13
    edited May 2007
    I finally got the right crossover settings for my Dynacord D-lite system; check it out below:

From the DBX driverack use the DJ setting option: 2way/with mono sub

Highs@ 30hz Linkw24 Gain 0

Mids@ 50hz linkw24 Gain 0

Lows@ 280 hz Linkw

Sub-Harmonic synth - on
    Subharmonics-100%

24 to 36 hz level- 30%
    36 to 56 hz level- 80 %

Compressor- on
    Over Easy- 4
    Threshold- 20
    1.4: 1 Gain 10 dB

eQ

Highs- on
    Flatten
    LHshlf

Lows- on
    Flatten
    LHshlf

Used Amp option Crown Macrotech 3600

This setting works great for my system
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    well.. the way you've written it, it makes no sense to me! With a totally passive system there is only one crossover and that is between the subs and the tops. The \"system provides an internal crossover in the subs and no further crossover is required when run in this mode. Further, the D12's have no provision for bi-amping. Further one EP 2500 would only be sufficient to provide mono operation of your particular system if you were to use the DRPA as the crossover which I wouldn't suggest if you are a DJ. If you had 2 ep 2500's and wanted to use the DRPA as the crossover then I would cross at 120 hz LR 24 use a BW 18@45 hz hipass and @ 10 db down @ 55 hz you would need a PEQ @ around that frequency and a fairly good boost around 10 db to accomplish proper LF matching. I don't know.. their recommendation doesn't make much sense me..
    Gadget
    Sorry... even after you added all that info it still makes absolutely no sense. Perhaps if you sent the actual file ...

Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Modern,
    It appears that you have scrolled through the different screens and written down what is shown from the canned parameters for the \"DJ\" program. I wish I had my PA in front of me. I can't make heads or tails of the x-over settings you've included either. The compressor setting in particular is puzzling. The threashold is set to kick in compression at the point that you are maxxing your output and when you're not at max you're telling the compressor to boost the output 10 db. That will make it all loud, all the time. I guess you play electronic music. Think about this. Artists who produce this type of music know what it is used for. If the intent was to compress all the dynamic range out of it, why wouldn't they record it that way. You really stand the risk of shreading your speakers and over heating your amp.
    You can set-up as you wish, but so you can compare, start from scratch and set up a custom 2x3 with custom tops / subs and custom amps. Use Gadget's recommendations for x-over settings and leave everything else alone. Set your gain struction per the back of the book and set the limiters. Then do your tweaking if need be.

DRA
    Thanks Dra.. not to mention that recorded music these days IS heavily compressed to begin with. Adding compression in a disco scenario could, as Dra pointed out, cause the amps to go into heavy power compression and cook you drivers...
    G
  • kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    I use a europower EP 2500.
    Hello modernsound,

Your user name sounds familiar to me...maybe from the prosoundweb forum?... Anyways,...as you probably already know: the Behringer EP2500 is a QSC RMX2450 clone... Don't know very much about the DRPA but I would use the RMX2450 as a baseline amp if it's available in the configuration menu...:)

Kevin
  • modernsoundmodernsound Posts: 13
    kpippen, What' s up man? I am not sure If it' s me on that other forum, But if you are familiar with the Virtual DJ forum; I am a regular there. Thanks for the infos on the EP 2500 behriner amp. I am glad to know that it is comparable to the QSC RMX2450. As far as I am concerned QSC is not preprogrammed on my DBX driverack that I got from 2006.

Gaget, Thank you for your imputs. The equalization lango is new to me. I don't quiet get it even after I read the literatures of theold forum and the nwe forum on DBX driverack; that was one of the reason why I have asked you to give me baby steps for me to get it.lol

Anyhow, by playing and tweaking some more with my system these are the settings that I came up with. Unless someone can tell me better to make my system sound even better. I will be sticking to those settings.
    I finally got the right crossover settings for my Dynacord D-lite system; check it out below:

From the DBX driverack use the DJ setting option:Fullrange or DJ Settings

Press the (wizard) button from the DBX Driverack ----choose (Driverack PA system Setup)
    Press(next)
    Turn the knob select(Mono)
    Graphic equalization (stereo)
    Select (JBL115) FOR TOPS
    AND (JBL JRX118S COMPACT SUB) BOTTOMS OR SUB(SELECT STEREO OR MONO)
    SELECT (CROWN MACROTECH 2402) FOR AMP
    SELECT(SAME AS YOUR AMP)
    SELECT HIGH LEVEL BY TURNING THE KNOB CLOCKWISE(HIGH AMP LEVEL)
    FOLLOW THE SAME STEPS AS ABOVE FOR SELECTING LOW LEVEL AMPS****
    SELECT (NORMAL) FOR LOW AMP BRIDGING
    SELECT (LOAD NEW PROGRAM) BY PUSHING ON THE ROUND KNB
    SELECT(NEXT) TO CONTINUE

DO THE AUTO EQ WIZARD.......

Outdoor Auto EQ in a big yard will help

SELECT (XOVER) BUTTON

(L) 45.0 HZ BW 12 GIAN 0.0dB
    (L) 125 HZ BW 24
    (H) 125 HZ BW 24 GAIN 0.0 dB

SELECT (EQ) BUTTON
    SELECT(PEQ &BELL option>)
    LEAVE AS IS (FLATTEN OPTION)
    SELECT (BELL)

FINALLY PRESS THE (STORE) BUTTON FOLLOW THE ONSCREEN MENU......... YOU ARE DONE

ON A SIDE NOTE, I HAVE NOTICED THAT IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CORDLESS MIC IT WORKS ALOT BETTER THAN THE DBX MICROPHONE.

• kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    kpippen, What' s up man? I am not sure If it' s me on that other forum, But if you are familiar with the Virtual DJ forum; I am a regular there. Thanks for the infos on the EP 2500 behriner amp. I am glad to know that it is comparable to the QSC RMX2450.
    Hello modernsound,

I have not been to the Virtual DJ forum but I'll have to check it out... I recently installed a new sound system in the youth area at our church... I used nine of the EP2500s along with a DriveRack 260... Six of the amps are in bridge-mono mode for the PA,...and the other three are in stereo mode for monitor mixes... So far...I am very satisfied with the performance of these amps,...not to mention the affordable price point...:)

Kevin