Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

Monitor Set Up

vetndanvetndan Posts: 17
edited July 2007 in Configuration Wizard
Hey fella's, happy Fourth of July!

I have a fairly easy question. I run (4) 15\" stage wedges for monitors. I used to push them with a QSC RMX 850 in mono, then just daisy chain the monitors together. However, I just bought a new RMX 2450 to replace the 850. My question is, should I continue to run the 2450 in Mono and daisy chain all four monitors.....or, run it in stereo and only daisy chain two monitors per channel. I assume running the two channels would be better for the speakers as there is not as much juice flowing to one speaker, plus two channels could give me two separate monitor mixes. What's your opinion(s.)

(Specs)
RMX 850 - 530w @ 8ohms bridged
RMX 2450 - 1300w @ 8ohms bridged or 500w @ 8 ohms stereo

Thanks!
Dan

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    WARNING! DO NOT run the 2450 in 2 ohms bridged mono! run stereo.. 2 per channel!
    Gadget
  • vetndanvetndan Posts: 17
    I smell smoke...........just kidding. Thanks, I thought it might be a little too much that's why I asked.

Dan
    There aren't many amps that can run 2 ohms mono.. its a very current intensive mode.. you better have excellent power available as your amp will draw maximum current in that mode if the amp is even capable of it. Good to see your asking questions instead of \"cooking\" gear.. once you let the smoke out its REALLY hard to get back in :lol: :!:
    Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget, you ever know of anyone running a Crown Mac in 1 ohm parallel mode? Will they in fact do it?

DRA
    Ok, follow up question.

My monitors run from an aux send on the board to a 31 band EQ then to a feedback suppressor then to the amp. The EQ and FB supressor have only one XLR out and one 1/4 out. (I used the XLR out as I only needed one because I ran the RMX 850 in mono)

Now, should I run a second line from a second aux send out of the board, through the EQ and FBX then out the 1/4 inch to an XLR in on the amp? Basically use the XLR and 1/4 outs on the FBX.

Or do I simply use an XLR \"Y\" cable and split the signal after the FB supressor but before the amp? (Keep in mind these are just monitors, not my PA mains)
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    From my experience, it depends on the manufacturer. Some will not allow the use of both outputs. Easier to just daisy the amp sides together. Either with a 1/4 - 1/4 jumper or with the barrier strip connections (best). Besides, there would be NO benefit and probably a bad thing to have 2 sources into a mono input. If you are wanting a 2nd mix then you'll need to add another EQ, etc.

DRA
  • Kyle AbelKyle Abel Posts: 16
    Your RMX 2400 will allow you to run in parallel mode. From the user's manual:
    The \"Parallel Input\" switches let you operate the amplifier in parallel mode, delivering the same signal to both channels without using a
    Y-cable. Each channel drives its own speaker load, with independent gain, filtering, and clip limiting.
    Yup just set the dip switches in the back for parallel mono inputs...

Yo! Dra.. yes .. they demo those amps by using a piece of iron and shorting one channel out ..thats right arc welding style..and the other channel keeps on chuggin and the shorted channel comes back to life as the odep circute recovers...

As you have seen we have run the Digam 5000 with three LABsubs per side thats 3.5 ohms per cab...all day outdoors...which is 1.66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666you get the picture...

I have a Mac 3600 that we ran 8, 15\" drivers in high current bridged mono.. it was all fine and good till it threw 4 cones out on the dance floor flaming.... :shock: \"OOPS...\" my son said of the experiment :roll: ya... thats me rolling my eyes...and opening my pocket book....good thing I'm a re-conning center huh :?:
    G
    You guys are great! Thanks for the help (again.)

Dan