Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Software Control
Options

PC connectivity - RS232 to USB

sidhusidhu Posts: 4
edited October 2007 in Software Control
Hello!

I am a bit stumped, all suggestions on the dbx paper uplink to a Male RS232 -> USB converter. I presume i would need a Female RS232 -> USB convertor. Use a female to female connection in between ?

also, could someone explain a null modem netword cable to me ? I am a bit floggy with terminology, and i suppose a gender change cable would need to be nulled?

Thanks a ton!

Sidhu

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    sidhu wrote:
    Hello!

I am a bit stumped, all suggestions on the dbx paper uplink to a Male RS232 -> USB converter. I presume i would need a Female RS232 -> USB convertor. Use a female to female connection in between ?

also, could someone explain a null modem netword cable to me ? I am a bit floggy with terminology, and i suppose a gender change cable would need to be nulled?

Thanks a ton!

Sidhu
    Hello Sidhu,

The USB converter should be USB to a 9-pin D-sub RS-232 male. The cable that came with your DriveRack will be a null modem cable (with pins 2 & 3 already swapped)... All you should have to do is plug your DriveRack cable into your USB adapter and you should be good to go!...:)

Cheers,

Kevin
  • Options
    Aha! I dint realize the Driverack came with a cable already! I dont own one, and the rental company just aquired a 4800, and a 260.

thanks a ton!

Cheers!
    Sidhu
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    sidhu wrote:
    Aha! I dint realize the Driverack came with a cable already! I dont own one, and the rental company just aquired a 4800, and a 260.

thanks a ton!

Cheers!
    Sidhu
    Hi Sidhu,

If the rental company does not have a cable for you then you could use a 9-pin male to female null modem RS-232 cable...or 9-pin male to female null modem adapter with a straight through male to female 9-pin RS-232 cable...:)

Cheers,

Kevin
  • Options
    hello!

So i finally got an opportunity to hook the 4800 with my laptop, available to me were the null serial cable, and the network cable, both came bundled with the 4800.

I was trying using a RS232 to USB converter. All drivers installed, and the RS32-USB showing up as COM4 in the device manager.

On starting system architect, i do not get any venue page with a pre-detected 4800. In options -> manage network connections, i get a com4 listed. I select and click add. Nothing happens yet. Close System Architect, and launch again. On launch i get an error stating COM4 is already in use or something similar, will confirm tomorrow.

All along, the RS232 led never lit on the 4800.

I also have a USB device listed in the manage network connection, and cannot recall if i added that too...

Then i tried to directly hook the 4800 through Ethernet, using the supplied Ethernet cable.

On connection with the computer, i get the Link led to light up on the unit, however, on the laptop i get a assigning address balloon, and then a limited or no connectivity error.

I have tried to assign the same IP on the 4800 as the static IP on my computer, instructions of retrieving which are included in the 4800 manual. The network setting on the computer has been tested with the automatic assign IP(same result), and the manually assign IP, where i entered an equal value as available on the 4800. This results in an error stating 'the static IP is already in use'.

guidance much appreciated.

Cheers!
    Sidhu
  • Options
    Hi sidhu,

Please try the below link.
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/attachmen ... hernet.pdf