Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity

Mic gain

DraDra Posts: 3,777
edited March 2008 in Connectivity
Hey all, Maybe someone can give some insight.
I connected my wireless 58 and could not get much output, but tons of feedback. The tone was OK but just no volume. Connected a wired 58, slap back from a tree line 200 yards away. Wow. What could be the problem with the wireless?

DRA

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Same mic cable? Did you try a different cable.. I assume you did...(if not I'll ring your neck:lol:) the volume control on the unit.. yada yada you know the drill... battery etc.. what did you check? Reverse polarity with another mic?...(was it the only thing hooked up) Did you try the line level out AND the mic level one...Was this a unit you've used before... geez man :roll: so gimme some help here... what have you tried...
    G... spot...
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I was really rushing to fight the onset of darkness. So I didn't try any real troubleshooting. I just changed to the wired mic. The one thing that was strange was that the receiver (diversity) was just a few feet away and I could hear phasing sounds like the receiver was almost out of range. No low battery light. I will do some extentive trouble shooting as soon as I get a chance.
    Any thoughts on the phasing sound?

DRA

PS - I has no idea why I posted to this section. :oops:
    Diversity antenna's like this (l reciever _ ) in other words.. one antennae vertical, and one horizontal...

gadget
  • Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Hi Dra
    was just a few feet away and I could hear phasing sounds like the receiver was almost out of range.

Sounds very much like a frequency problem.

I have experience this as well. It ended up that the guitarist was using wireless system on same frequency as my mics.
    Another time was 2 wirless mics on same frequency (gives a phasing sound)
    Another time the reciever was off frequency by 1

Confirm nobody has changes frequency on transmitter or receiver.

Change frequencies,
    Some local interference??
    The phasing sounds can be indicative of frequency mismatch / interference
    Mark
    Gadget are you saying that ideally one antenna should be straight up and one straight out. That does make sense, but never had this problem before. Unless I am being surveiled by the FBI or some other group, outside interference is not possible.
    It is a fixed / single freq mic so if there is a way to change the freq, I don't know it.
    Just to clarify, the \"phasing\" was not really a gated cutting out, but like the sound you make with your mouth to make a variable wind sound.

What is the function of the \"Squelch\"? The pot is very small and reccessed and I have never touched it in 5+ years.
    Squelch
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    In telecommunications, squelch is a circuit function that acts to suppress the audio (or video) output of a receiver in the absence of a sufficiently strong desired input signal.

Squelch excludes undesired lower-power input signals that may be present at or near the frequency of the desired signal. Squelch is a noise gate that only allows signals at a specified strength over a threshold to be played through the speaker. As an example, general static (with no transmission) is squelched out. (Contrast with noise suppression.)[1]

The three keys:
    1) Low output
    2) High feedback
    3) \"Phasing\" sound

I'll do some better trouble shooting this afternoon and report on my findings.

Thanks guys,
    DRA
    It's a \"spurious\" RF limiter...sets the threshold of the receivers \"acceptable\" signal level it receives on a given frequency... and yes the antenna's on a diversity receiver should be one up and the other out...
    Gadget
    What were the signal lights doing? If its a diversity receiver it actually has 2 frequencies. You should have had the signal light showing that the receiver was getting signal...maybe two ... if both are on use the sensitivity to decrease the level till only one is lit...

G
    Well, could not duplicate the problem. I hope it does not rear it's head at a bad time. :roll:

DRA
    :? .... :roll:
    We'll no problems at all with the mic.

Side note. One of the talent show participants was a 16 or 17 year old girl. She'd played tenor sax to a track with piano, bass, & brushed kit. Holy cow! Improv'ed the hole thing (smooth jazz) as good as a 20 year professional. Needless to say she won.

DRA
    Cool!... there's some talent like that around here as well...

You may have been the victim of spurious RF...maybe even someone with a \"footwarmer\"...

G