Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity

dbx 266xl as a system limiter

edited April 2008 in Connectivity
i am wondering how well a 266xl will work as a system limiter in comparison to the limiters on my drpa(which i love everything about this unit minus the limiters) i run my system in 2 way mono so if i were to us my 266 it would be one channel for highs and one for lows. what whould be the best attack and release times? i was figureing setting both the attack and release to the fastest they get. of the unit will do a good job that is.

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Technically speaking the 266 is not a limiter, and you are just compressing the mix. I don't like to comp the whole mix... but prefer to use judicious compression on a per channel basis. Whole mix compression can cause feedback as well if set up improperly.

Thats my $.02

Gadget
  • i figured by setting the ratio to infinity to 1 made it a limiter.i am not needing it to be consitantly running 6 or 9 db of gain reduction, i just need it to keep amps out of clip with the occational transient peak or short but very loud segment of music. with the drpa to keep the amps from cliping i am finding that i am running into about 6 db of gain reduction on a constitant basis, not because i dont have the head room, because i know i do, but because there is soo much overshoot with the drpa
    Try it.. I don't have a 266... can't cost much to try... but beware... high comp/limiting can mean a high average signal maintained at the amps which results in power supply exhaustion in conventional amps particularly....This can result in clipping that wouldn't normally occur in normal signal reproduction...

Gadget
  • meh, it works just about aswell as the drpa's limiters. a futile venture.
    I thought so. If your looking for a simple failsafe LOCKABLE unit there is one thats made by Drawmer I think, at around the same price as the 260, but with the 260 you get all the extra features.
    Gadget