Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Front Panel

\"clip\" indicator on DRPA's display

sound4usound4u Posts: 5
edited April 2009 in Front Panel
My question relates to the display on the DRPA. Occasionally, the clip indicator flashes.
My question is; What is clipping? All the info I have found says nothing about if this indicator comes on what to do about it.
Is the input clipping? The output? One band, or all bands?
Someone please help.

Thanks,
Dale

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Is the light yellow...or red? Yellow indicates limiting or compression. Hard clipping is extremely ugly sounding in digital devices. If you are seeing clipping and want to do something about it ...
    if it's on the inputs... turn the source down.. I.E. mixer master outs
    if its the outputs...turn the crossover gains down.

You need to be more specific what you are experiencing..both hearing and seeing.

Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Are you talking about the word \"CLIP\" on the display? Were you Auto EQing at the time? That's the only time I've ever seen it. If that's the case then just turn down the Pink Noise level.

DRA
  • sound4usound4u Posts: 5
    Dra wrote:
    Are you talking about the word "CLIP" on the display? Were you Auto EQing at the time? That's the only time I've ever seen it. If that's the case then just turn down the Pink Noise level.

DRA
    Yes, the word "clip". This is happening during the show. It only happens once in a while. Randomly. Not auto EQing.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If it was clipping you'd know it... it's ugly...What are the bar graph meters doing? Are you using the limiters?
    Gadget
    Yes, I am using the limiters.

I will have to get back to you with the settings as I do not remember each one. I have about 6 presets for different venues. I have a show on Thursday, so I can get them then.
    The meters on the high out are up to the top at times, and the limiter page shows there is some limiting. Approximately -4dB on peaks.
    The mixer output is at or a few dB above zero dB out of +28dB. Mackie 2404VLZ.
    I got an email that someone posted to this thread.

I have finally decided that the output from the mixer is overloading the input limiter. This caused the word \"clip\" to display on the left edge of the display. Centered from top to bottom. It displays on top of whatever page the display is showing. ie, eq graph, limiter page, etc.

I have since found that bringing down every fader and even input trims to more reasonable levels is much better for the overall mix. Duh. \"It's the gain structure, stupid!\"

Thanks to everyone who replied.

-Dale