Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity

Additional questions for 2 way biamp speaker set up

bobogypsybobogypsy Posts: 17
edited July 2008 in Connectivity
I have read Gadget's post on setting up 2 way speakers for biamping but have some futher questions. I have an older set of Horizon 2 ways with an eminence horn and a 15\" driver.

They do have 1/4\" inputs for Biamping connected to an internal passive crossover.

My questions is:

Do I just set up the DRPA plugging a high amp and a low amp into the existing Biamp inputs on the speakers

Do I disconnect all the internal wiring and rewire with out the internal CR?

If I can just connect to the Biamp inputs, Do I bypass any active CR settings from the DRPA?

Unfortunately, I don't have any specs for the speakers and have never Biamped them previously. I've emailed Eminence about recommended CR freq but have not receive a response as yet.

The band will probably go to active speakers in the future but these will have to do for now.

Also in the Gadget post, I did not understand the reason for connecting a wire between the +2 to -2 if converting to speakon jacks.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The bi-amp inputs (Hi & Lo) are connected straight to the speaker wires on the circuit board.

Most of the horn drivers that I saw on their are 1.5K or 1.6K with slopes 18db or less. I'd recommend a LR24db anyway. Want does your x-over say?

DRA
  • bobogypsybobogypsy Posts: 17
    Do you mean the passive CR inside the cab? [/quote]
    Want does your x-over say?
    Do you mean the passive CR inside the cab?
    Yes.

DRA
    With what I can see in the cab, there is a 19.4 ohm (woofer?) and 2.2 ohm
    as well as a cap 3.0ufK 250V.

One side of the 19.4 ohm is connected to +T. There are no other markings.

There is a round spool type gadget with wire wrapped inside but no markings on it.
    I guess you are saying that there is nothing that says, \"Crossover - xxxx hz\"on the panel. Do you have a volt meter? If so, you should verify that the bi-amp jack do, in fact, go direct to the wires, because I am do longer confident.

DRA
    I took the CR out of the cab and the wires for the driver go directly to the speaker but also have a wire connect to the \"Full Range \" Jack and then the \"parallel\" jack and then back to the CR.

The positive wire for the horn is routed through the CR before going to the horn

I can just disconnect the passive CR altogether and run the high jack directly to the horn if that is the best way to do it.
    I am thoroughly confused. From the driver to the speaker?
    The wires for the 15\" go directly from the 1/4\" jacks to the speaker but the + wire for the horn is soldered to the circuit board. The - wire goes directly to the horn.

Again, If I take out the CR and wire everything directly I can just use the DRPA CR settings to biamp. Is this correct?

Thanks,
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    What the heck kind of speakers are these?

Yes take out the passive crossover and hook directly to the speakers.... make sure you are not grounded between the two jacks unless using the same amp...

The 2+2- thing is if your using speakon connectors, not 1/4 \" type...

Thats all
    With what I can see in the cab, there is a 19.4 ohm (woofer?) and 2.2 ohm
    as well as a cap 3.0ufK 250V.

One side of the 19.4 ohm is connected to +T. There are no other markings.

Crossver components.. I HOPE you don't have a 19.4 ohm woofer...

Gadget
    Gadget

Thanks,

I was thinking of changing to speakon jacks, so just wanted to know why

you need to place a wire between +2 and -2.
    That would be a good idea....The speakon connectors are more secure (they lock in) and can handle considerably more current...

I guess first off we should examine the different types of \"speakon\" connector...

There are three types to date:
    1. NL2 has only 2 connections... they are 1+ and 1-
    2. NL4 has 4 they are 1+,1- and 2+ and 2-
    3. NL8, and you can well imagine the delineation of pins here.

In an NL2 type Speakon, the speaker would usually fall into the \"fullrange catagory\"

In an NL4 type, the woofer would run off pins 1+, and 1-, and the and the high frequency section would run off 2+ and 2-

A 4 way cabinet would require 8 'poles' from top to bottom, the highest component to the lowest with the highest number being the highest frequency....and on down.
    High 4+/-
    high mid 3+/-
    low mid 2+/-
    low 1+/-

Amps with speakon connectors usually also have a way to run a bi-amp speaker off one amp with only one cable with 4 conductors...the configurations are changed by switches on the amp back. One of the Speakon connectors usually provides all 4 connections... and would be labeled as such.

I added a section to the FAQ's about this issue... and I still want to know what speakers you have...
    Thanks for the detail.

The speakers are a set of Horizon 2 ways. They were purchased sometime in 1995 or so.

I'm not at home right now but I think the model # is ART-115h. I'll have to double check. I don't think Horizon are making speaker cabs anymore.
    I disconnected the passive bypass and have the horn and woofer wired directly to high and low jacks and am ready to set up the crossover in the drive rack.

I also received a reply from Eminence. They believe my components are similar to their PSD:2002 compression driver and the Delta Pro 15A
    woofer ( 2.5\" voice coil. 80 oz magnet.

Recommended crossovers are 1.2 kHz with an 18db/octive crossover or 1.8kHz with a 12 db/Octive Crossover.

Based on this, What would be the recommendation for setting the hipass for the woofer, the lowpass for the woofer, and the hipass for the horn?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Well to be safe lets go with (this is for a bi-amp top) 55 hz hipass @ BW18
    Lopass 1734 hz LR24 hipass for the horn 1834hz LR24.
    G
    Thanks,

Am I able to get that precise with DRPA?

( Lopass 1734 hz LR24 hipass for the horn 1834hz LR24. )

My options appear to be 1.7 or 1.8, etc.
    Get as close as you can... that would be fine...
    G