Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity

QSC HPR Series

djdq76djdq76 Posts: 4
edited September 2008 in Connectivity
Recently purchased this system with the new DRPX...Read through the RMF as well as PX first use and Powered Speaker Set-up, all platforms, but especially PX/DRPA. Mobile dj use, small to medium venues. Looking for some input on setting the xover points. Here are the specs and my thoughts:

2x QSC HPR 122i:

Frequency Response (-3 dB) 1 62 Hz - 18 kHz
Frequency Range (-10 dB) 1 53 Hz - 22 kHz
Maximum SPL (1 meter) 131 dB peak
Amplifier
Power output 400W LF Class H
100W HF Class AB+B
Low-cut filter (Main / Monitor)

2x QSC HPR 151i:[/u]

Frequency Response (-3 dB) 1 51 Hz - 105 Hz
Frequency Range (-10 dB) 1 43 Hz - 145 Hz
Maximum SPL (1 meter) 133 dB peak
Amplifier
Power output 700W Class H

Here are my thoughts:

2X4

HPF: BW18 @ 45hz
LPF: 100 hz LR 24 Hz

Top Speakers:

112 hz @LR 24

Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

[/u]

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I would move the 45 to 50 and the spread for the x-over might be a little wide. If you have the RTA mic set up outdoor and check for a hole there. Otherwise it looks fine. Report back.

DRA
  • DRa,

The highs seemed to run a little hot and I wanted a little more punch out of the bottoms. Any suggestions?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Did you try an auto eq? In the read me first section you will see a FAQ section and in there is a few posts on Auto EQ.. read and try...

G
  • Hi
    Where is the sub placed within the room??

Can make heaps of difference

Mark
  • Hi

Found the relevant article

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... lation.cfm

Hope this helps

Mark
    \"The highs seemed to run a little hot\". Try to avoid statements like that. It is too subjective. Did you mean the entire top cab (high output) is too loud or that the horn was too loud, that the extreme upper range above 8k was too loud?

DRA
  • G'Day all

The QSC HPR Series system is designed to be a \"Balance\" system
    Being an active speaker system are all designed to \"work\" together
    So what could the problem be???

some of the variables are:

Mechanics
    Speaker placement within the room

HPR151i Subs
    Polarity (normal/reverse)
    Amp gain

HPR122i Top boxes
    Amp gain
    100hz Low-cut filter

Drive rack
    crossover (sorry band pass filters)
    gain on subs / top boxes
    PEQ
    EQ

Does the system sound good using the 100hz Low-cut outs on the subs without using DRPX???

Where are the gains set on the amps??

Polarity set on the sub???
    The highs seemed to run a little hot and I wanted a little more punch out of the bottoms. Any suggestions?

I'm with Dra here
    are you saying that the HPR122i are \"hot\"
    or some freq's within the HPR122i are \"hot\"
    or that the HPR151i are not loud enough?

Lots of variables

Sorry for lots of questions but more info is required

Mark

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speake ... atures.htm
  • djdq76djdq76 Posts: 4
    edited September 2008
    Gentlmen,

Sorry for my use of words, and I understand your need for more details. I am in no way a professional sound tech so please take that into the consideration. My apologies again...

For further explanation, the total cab had good output but some of the frequencies were extremely high pitch and ear piercing. In regards to the bottoms, the total output was good as well but the punch (frequency???)... was not there.

As far as setup and placement, tops on ultimate stands placed behind bottoms which were separated by 8 feet parallel to each other separated by a facade.

The top and bottom gains were set at -0-. Polarity on the bottoms set to normal. As far as the system without the DRPX, it did not sound good when using the low cut outs hence my attempt with the DRPX.

I attempted running the Auto EQ but found that my frequency issue with the tops was worse, so I retreated back to the settings in my first post.

The DRPX did made a significant improvement in the system. I was thinking that my original suggestions and changes made after Dra's input may need some more tuning.

I hope that this is a better explanation.
    edited September 2008
    You didn't say if you took 1 top and 1 sub outside and did an AUTO EQ?
    Where did you do the Auto EQ?
    Do those tops have EQ's on the panel?
    Are the tops or subs \"processed\" internally?
    Put the subs side by side. Best in the center, but on one side will do if that is not possible.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    And, you didn't say if you had read the FAQ section as proscribed... or tell us what method you used, or which precurve you used for the auto EQ tou did. If you placed the mics in a position where the highs had a reflected path, then cancellations could be the cause of the \"harshness\" you are experiencing...try about 6 feet out, mic aimed between the mid and the horn with a -0- or flat response and see what you get... with or without subs... the below 170 hz should be done by ear (indoors...) but you would know that if you had read the material...
    G