Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity

Best way to connect dbx afs224

themulkthemulk Posts: 8
edited July 2009 in Connectivity
I need advice on the best way to connect a dbx AFS224 to our very modest PA.

Yamaha MG16-4 Mixer
QSC 2450 Amp (1 channel Mains - 1 channel Monitors)
Yamaha C115V (2) speakers
Harbinger HX121M (2) monitors
Shure SM58 (2) SM86 (1)

We are a four piece classic rock band playing small to medium venues.

Thanks

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    How many monitor mixes?
    Run FOH stereo or mono?
    How many vocal mics?
    What is your primary concern? FOH or monitors? Both?

DRA
  • themulkthemulk Posts: 8
    Thanks for your reply!

One monitor mix
    FOH is Mono
    3 Vocal Mics
    Monitors mainly

I think that does it.
    Then I guess the best way in your case would be to put a side of the 224 on FOH and a side on monitors. You'll have to set it up for \"stereo\" use.
    I'd set 18 as fixed. For FOH start with speech and catch the first 3, then change to music low and do 3, then music medium - 6 and then music high for the last 6. Try the same for monitors, but you might have to use more speech filters. I like speech for live also with 5 sec lift times.

If you have a hard time filling the 18 filters, redo and use all music high filters.
    Remember, the unit only works in the mode that is selected (live in live and fixed in fixed).

DRA
    Thanks DRA. We will certainly give your suggestions a try on our next gig!

Do you know why the manual seems to advocate using mic channel inserts?

We used the unit for the first time last weekend running the mains in one channel and monitors in the other channel (in the dual mono mode). It worked, I guess, but I wanted to see if I was on the right track.

Thanks again!
    themulk
    I would have suggested using the 224's as inserts on the mic channels, but you have 3 mics and only 2 process sides. Now if you had another 224 that is a whole other proposition. Want to buy one? I have 2 and might could part with one (maybe).

DRA
    Maybe I can figure a way to combine 2 mics into one insert feed for the second AFS224 channel. I'll look at mixer manual to see what it can do. I also have a small Yamaha MG10 mixer I could use, but I really don't want to get crazy with this.

Your 224 is tempting...but I'd better not!!!

themulk
    I also looked into trying to combine 2 mics into one side, but you totally lose control of those inputs. That is why I bought my 2nd one. I've since put my DRPA in the place of one of the 224's. That is why I have an extra.
    No simple answers. Sorry.

DRA
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I haven't done my homework on the MG16-4 mixer, but are there subgroups that vocal mics can be routed through? And if so, do they have insert points?

Dennis
    Hello Dennis,

It has the ability to send each mixer channel to a \"group\" with it's own fader and L & R outs. I do not know if there's an \"insert\" provision. Looks like I've got some reading to do!

It appears that the insert route is the way to go if at all possible.

Thank you guys for your help!
    themulk
    OK I have an answer, I think.
    Apparently, each channel can be assigned to the main outputs (ST) OR assigned to Group 1-2. Assign all your mics to Group 1-2, then patch the output from Group 1-2 to an empty channel that is assigned to ST. Insert 1 side of the 224 into that channel for house. Then from monitor output, go into the outher side of the 224. I'll assume that you'll set the \"new channel\" at unity and mix the indivual mics from their input channels. You will also mix their monitors from there. ***** DO NOT use the monitor send / aux (whatever) on the \"new channel\".... instant bad feedback. (At least I think that will create an internal loop.)

Gadget, Dennis, does my logic work here? Or do you see another / better way?

DRA
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I don't see a good solution with this equipment set up.

Dra, I think your last solution is basically the same as running an AFS channel inline between the mixer and amp EXCEPT you're adding two stages of gain.

Dennis
    Thanks for your time & input, DRA and Dennis. Ill keep the 224 inline to the amp. You saved me from a bunch of trial & error duty! You guys are a class act.

themulk
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Best thing I could suggest is use the aux 1 (pre) send to one channel of the AFS for monitor duty, and the other from a master out for the mixer into AFS unit... once again Yamaha has not offered many options for routing...

G
    I think you are right about Yamaha's routing issues, Gadget. The first time we used the 224, we set it up like you suggest. I believe it's the only way that makes sense now.

Thank you for your response!
    themulk