Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Front Panel
Options

Output knob on DBX 376 Tube PreAmp

SyncronixSyncronix Posts: 6
edited July 2009 in Front Panel
I read on the users manual of the DBX 376 that the Output knob can control separately the output gain of digital and analog outs. But I'm trying to do it with both outs connected to Protools and to my mixer respectively and the gain ups and downs made by this knob are sent to both outs with the Digital/Analog button pressed or not. It has no effect as it says on the user manual.
Am I doing something wrong ?

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Most references in the manual about the digital and analog outputs say they can be controlled \"simultaneously\". Section 3.8 is the only place I could find that mentioned \"independent\" control of digital and analog outputs but it offered no explaination as to how it is accomplished.

Hopefully, Gadget or Dra will jump in with a solution to the problem.

Dennis
  • Options
    This is what section 3.8 says:

\"The 376 gives you the unique option of utilizing the analog and digital outputs simultaneously.
    This option is ideal for using the analog output section as a reference monitoring signal of the dig-
    ital signal. Both analog and digital outputs offer independent output control, which allows you to
    send a digital signal to a receiving device (such as a DAW or digital recorder) and route the ana-
    log signal to a monitoring device (such as a mixer or headphone amplifier) , while controlling both
    levels independently all at the same time.\"

Now, after a new lecture, I think I understood it in a new way. Maybe they mean you can control both levels at their arriving points... no at the source. Could it be ?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Though speaking from no experience... I tend to agree.

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    The wording in the manual is really vague. It says \"Both analog and digital outputs offer independent output control\". If they were referring to the destination(s) rather than the source, they should also be referring to inputs rather than outputs. I think. I don't know what the answer is, I just know the manual does not supply the answer clearly...and it should.

Dennis
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well, I\"m back and I don't think I can help here ... today...I looked @ the block diagram but it clearly indicates that the output control is PRE split to analog/digital sections...So I'll refer this in the morning... to the tech staff, or you could... but either way without a unit to work on...or a better manual.. were dead in the water here...

I would assume there must be a menu in the utlity section perhaps? that controls outputs, I'll pass this on and we should have an answer tomorrow...

Gadget
  • Options
    mikejoeydbxmikejoeydbx Posts: 134
    Hello All,

Unfortunately, this appears to be a typo in the manual. This is a feature available in the 386 model, but not in the 376. It must have somehow made it's way from the 386 to the 376 manual. I will let our tech writer know. Sorry for the confusion on this matter.
  • Options
    ...yes... It's as easy as take a look at the block diagram to see that it is not possible to control both outs separately.
    Well, I hope DBX fix this in the users manual, so no more people like me spends time trying to get it working the way they say. I must say I was really surprised when I discovered this unexpected but usefull feature.
    Booo... it was a \"mistake\" on the manual...

Regards from Chile to all who tried to help.

Andres Schmidt
  • Options
    Where in Chile?
    I lived in Coronel, Laja, & Lebu. Been to Concepcion and Santiago.

DRA
  • Options
    Hi Dra. I live in Santiago. Are you coming to Chile ? When ?
  • Options
    I would love to go back and visit, but doubt that will happen. I was there in 83 & 84. Pinochet was still in power, but protests were not uncommon. Man I love fried empandas. I had a recipe, but lost it. All I can find on the internet are baked ones. You got a recipe? Or can you get one?

DRA
  • Options
    but empanadas are both... fried and baked. Tipically they are baked. If you mean the ones with meat inside, then they were baked.
    I can try to get the receipt. But first tell me wich.
    Regards
  • Options
    All the ones I had were deep fried. The filling was beef & onions (and I assume spices), occasionally boiled egg pieces and other stuff.

Are you German? Lots of German blood in Chile.

DRA