Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard
Options

Fixed versus Live filters - PX & JBL

edited August 2009 in Configuration Wizard
I am a new user of the PX. The manual suggests that I select the number of FIXED filters desire in teh AFS mode- should I start at 6, or is there some other data that affects my decision?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If you select 6 fixed...you will have 6 \"roaming\" if you select 8 fixed... you'll have 4 roaming... depends on what you wish to do...If you have a lot of feedback perhaps you you need to tune your system... if you find that you need more than 6 fixed filter that is likely the case. I find that as the volume of the performance goes up the speakers response also changes, and must be compensated for. I find that if I tune the system at reasonable volumes, and then get a really loud band that cannot/will not control stage volume and you find yourself having to CLIMB over them to a volume you are not set up for ... you will have issues...especially if they cup the mic head...turning the mic into an omni directional pickup device...
    G
  • Options
    DjRageDjRage Posts: 16
    Gadget wrote:
    If you select 6 fixed...you will have 6 "roaming" if you select 8 fixed... you'll have 4 roaming... depends on what you wish to do...If you have a lot of feedback perhaps you you need to tune your system... if you find that you need more than 6 fixed filter that is likely the case. I find that as the volume of the performance goes up the speakers response also changes, and must be compensated for. I find that if I tune the system at reasonable volumes, and then get a really loud band that cannot/will not control stage volume and you find yourself having to CLIMB over them to a volume you are not set up for ... you will have issues...especially if they cup the mic head...turning the mic into an omni directional pickup device...
    G

What is the difference of Fixed comparerd to roaming
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Fixed are ...well, fixed after they latch and won't release unless you clear them. The \"roaming\" are actually called \"live\" and can be set to release after a selected time, 5 secs or 1 min, for example.

DRA
  • Options
    So for live applications would you have more roam?
  • Options
    Every application is \"live\". You'll have to deside how many you need (fixed vs. live). I'll assume that you are a DJ, so you should not need need to set too many fixed unless you have major issues with your speakers or room problems. Try 12 total filters, 6 fixed set as Music High, then set the live as Speech and go with it. You may need to change things a bit but you get the idea.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Every application is "live". You'll have to deside how many you need (fixed vs. live). I'll assume that you are a DJ, so you should not need need to set too many fixed unless you have major issues with your speakers or room problems. Try 12 total filters, 6 fixed set as Music High, then set the live as Speech and go with it. You may need to change things a bit but you get the idea.

DRA

I'm sorry. "Live" for me is sound coming from a Band. When I Dj I considered that pre-recorded so that is where I was getting confused.

I see what you are saying now. So If I was doing the sound for the Band for instance........I would use less fixed filters.
  • Options
    There is really no right and wrong number of fixed filters. The room and the singer has a lot to do with it. You may need 6 fixed or you may need 10. You need to just go with trial and error to get the GBF (gain before feedback).
    In a perfect world you would not need any fixed filters. Welcome to Earth.

DRA