Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 4800 4800 General Discussion

4800 Wireless Set up.. need few advices..

MalindaMalinda Posts: 14
edited August 2009 in 4800 General Discussion
Hi..,

Can anyone advise me with the best suitable wireless router to control the 4800 with a tablet PC? in a article i saw DBX has mentioned 802.11 B&G wireless router. but i need to know what is the compatibility of a N wireless router? does DR4800 supports N type routers? any model suggestions ?
Please advise me with your experience.

Thanx in advance.

Cheers..!

Malinda

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 801
    The 4800 does not care what frequency the router transmits on. The tablet PC has to be \"N\" compatible or you have to buy a card for it. After trying a few different router models, I find the Apple Airport Extreme to be the most stable and consistant (as far as consumer units go).

Dennis
  • MalindaMalinda Posts: 14
    Thanx Dennis. yeah i have hear the Airport extreme is pretty cool. but the problem is, the Tablet i use Windows Vista. does Airport extreme support Windows? Once again, thanx so much for your valuable information.
    Appreciated alot.

Cheers..!

Malinda
    Both of my laptops are Windows XP and work great with the Airport. Vista might make you jump through a hoop or two but I doubt it.

Dennis
    Thanx So much Dennis.
    I'll give it a try and will let you know. does 4800 auto detect the IP settings, etc or do i have to manually configure everything..??
    sorry for too much of questions.

Thank you

Malinda
  • Hi Malinda,

The 4800 does support DHCP, which should be enabled by default. Therefore, if the router has a DHCP server in it, the 4800 will receive an IP address from this server.

:D
    Once you configure the Airport as DHCP, you will never have to think about your network again. When configuring, the Airport will offer you three IP address \"ranges\"...select the one that begins with 192.168.

Yamaha digital consoles require static IP addresses and the factory assigns ones that are in that range. In the future, if you are using, lets say. a LS9 or M7CL, they will automatically select their static IP address from your dynamic network if it is available(and by selecting this range, you are making it available). You can then take your tablet PC to the bar and run your show wirelessly from there without re-configuring your network.

Dennis
    Hi Malinda,

The 4800 does support DHCP, which should be enabled by default. Therefore, if the router has a DHCP server in it, the 4800 will receive an IP address from this server.

:D

Thanx Mike i'm gonna buy the Airport extreme and will give it a try. :)

Cheers..!!
  • You're very welcome Malinda.
    Dennis wrote:
    Once you configure the Airport as DHCP, you will never have to think about your network again. When configuring, the Airport will offer you three IP address "ranges"...select the one that begins with 192.168.

Yamaha digital consoles require static IP addresses and the factory assigns ones that are in that range. In the future, if you are using, lets say. a LS9 or M7CL, they will automatically select their static IP address from your dynamic network if it is available(and by selecting this range, you are making it available). You can then take your tablet PC to the bar and run your show wirelessly from there without re-configuring your network.

Dennis

Wow.. so much of valuable info. what you have mentioned is my dream. ;) Thanx so much Dennis. you helped me alot to sort out the problems i had with this. very much appropriated and once again thank you so much for sharing your valuable knowledge and experience with me. i'm gonna buy a Airport extreme and give it a try as you advised me. will let you know.

Cheers..!!