Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Software Control

Windows 7 compatability?

DraDra Posts: 3,777
edited November 2014 in 200 Series Software Control
My back light has failed on my OLD! laptop, so I am looking for new, used, etc laptop. Is Driveware compatable with 7?

I am considering, eliminating by CD/MP3 player system (which needs a $40 "mechanism" that typically won't load in cold weather without removing the cover and tapping the center piece) and going to laptop only. I have always shy'd away, but I also like reducing my footprint at the mix position, so I am cosidering the leap, if the price is right.
Anyone have a trusted source for good used? As usual, I seek great bang for little buck. Of coarse, reliable. (no Vista)
I could go the external monitor route, but that's another thing to carry.

DRA

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Mornin Dra...

I haven't actually tried it with driveware but I have tried 7 :roll: and it's just a re-packaged vista with a Mac type look interface... in other words they just added a toolbar on the top of the screen that looks very much like Leopard Macware... still has the totally annoying prompt to question every move you make and act as if you'll end up in computer hell if insist on doing it... :twisted: seems a bit faster then vista was but the roadblocks are a pain...I'll put in a note to Mike and get the definitive word though..
    G
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Thanks,
    I heard that 7 IS actually the completed version of Vista (something about being pushed to release before ready), and works really well.

DRA
    Windows 7 (if vista works on your driveware) should work all the way through 32 bit ... 64 is iffy...on vista and windows 7...

Hi-Q net has tested all the way through W7/64 bit and works fine...

Band manager has not been tested with vista or windows 7 but field reports indicate that it will indeed run on W7.

G
    Are you saying that Windows 7 is a "no" for Driveware? My old laptop was 98 and my desktop is XP, so I haven't (and won't) try Vista.

DRA
    What I'm saying is that windows 7 should work IF you don't have the 64 X processor...
    System Requirements: If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM

G
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    There is suppose to be some "XP mode" with Windows 7 and I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with anything....yet.

Dennis
    I think there is a disconnect. :?
    I showed the "system requirement" post to a local retailer. He said that that was just the requirements for loading 7 on a computer.
    My question is, will Driveware work on a computer that has 7 installed? (Driveware compatible with 7)

DRA
    hmmm :|

"If the computer has up to the 32 bit processor, and is running windows 7 Driveware and the 260 should work...

If the computer you are using is running a 64 bit processor and windows 7 you MAY have problems with Driveware and controlling the 260...

That is all the "FACTS " I have

As Dennis and I have also said "unconfirmed" field reports indicate that Driveware works with windows 7...

I guess I don't understand your confusion here... :?
    Is 64-bit an upgrade over 32-bit (in the world of computers)? Sounds like from the requirements that 32-bit takes less memory and HD space, so 32-bit might be the upgrade. In a local store they had 2 laptops. Same price. Virtually the same specs, except one was 64-bit. The other 32-bit. Both with windows 7.

Am I correct that the issue is not running the Driveware, but communicating with the 260?

I hate to be a (insert descriptive slur), but if the laptop I buy can't control my 260, it is money thrown away.

Thanks,
    DRA
    Have you talked directly with tech support?
    I did, and what I shared was pretty much word for word...

Here is the email:

Gary,

I have used DriveWare on Vista 32 with no problems. Here is the info on DriveWare from engineering.

"If Driveware works on Vista, it should work on Win7. There may be issues with 64 bit on both Vista and Win7."

Best bet would be to take the 260, a known working usb to serial converter and see if they wouldn't install the GUI and see if it runs.. It's easily removed (the GUI) and if they want to make a sale... :mrgreen:

The quote I used earlier in the thread was from windows and the system requirements for windows 7.
    DRA

Ask the Rational Acoustics poster if his computer is 64 bit...he has already said he is able to run "Windows 7 XP Mode" at 32 bit.

Dennis
    OK, I think I have my head wrapped around this now. At least it is clicking for me. Windows 7 has 2 versions a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version.
    The 32-bit version can communicate with 32-bit and 16-bit devices. The 64-bit cannot. Other than some games, the 64-bit version does not have much current support (software).

Now I feel better.

DRA
    Were so very happy :D Good luck with your purchase!
  • Hello,

I have recently purchased a 260. I have a prolific USB-Serial converter and it works fine on a borrowed Windows XP based laptop using the supplied serial cable. I am unable to use it on my Win7 (64-bit) based laptop. I get an error related to com port. I have tried running in XP compatibility mode but in vain. The port number being used is correct.

At present I have a working cable and converter and a 64 bit windows 7 system with driveware installed but I am unable to connect. Can anyone help?
    Cadence wrote:
    Hello,

I have recently purchased a 260. I have a prolific USB-Serial converter and it works fine on a borrowed Windows XP based laptop using the supplied serial cable. I am unable to use it on my Win7 (64-bit) based laptop. I get an error related to com port. I have tried running in XP compatibility mode but in vain. The port number being used is correct.

At present I have a working cable and converter and a 64 bit windows 7 system with driveware installed but I am unable to connect. Can anyone help?

Check out this old thread http://www.dbxpro.com/Drug/view_thread. ... forumid=15
  • Dennis wrote:

Thanks for the link. I did see that thread earlier. The solution given there doesn't work since the prolific driver that gets installed on my laptop is the 64 bit version. The files installed are different from the 32 bit drivers and so replacing the file from the link provided (in the above thread) also doesn't work.
  • I unistalled everything and tried again with the 64bit new driver. After installing, I changed the COM to 2 from 16 and also changed the COM port in driveware to 2. Now I am able to connect to the driverack without any problems.
    Cadence wrote:
    I unistalled everything and tried again with the 64bit new driver. After installing, I changed the COM to 2 from 16 and also changed the COM port in driveware to 2. Now I am able to connect to the driverack without any problems.

Cool