Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Configuration Wizard

Amp Gain Dials in Setup Wizard (DR260)

Dave-in-TNDave-in-TN Posts: 13
So what exactly is the purpose of the little amp gain dials in the setup wizard? What is the 260 doing when I adjust those? And is there a way to adjust those same parameters outside of the setup wizard?

Just curious...

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You can go into the wizard at any time to change the speakers or amps and make changes. IF, for example, the wizard suggests the amps be set to 70%, it may set the crossover gain to -3db. If you change the "knob" of the amp IN THE WIZARD, the wizard will adjust the gain of the x-over to compensate. I took a pretty major change to make it happen, but it did. Not sure why someone would want to turn down an amp JUST to be able to turn up the x-over, or visa versa.

So, you don't adjust the wizard knobs. You adjust the amp's knobs to match. BUT, we recommend a manual gain structure set-up (as described in detail in the READ ME FIRST section) for those users who are a 4 out of 10 on bulb briteness, 3's should stick with the wizard. 2's are those that are only allowed to "Lower that fader is you hear squealing", and 1's should just listen to the band. In other words, you can do it.

DRA
  • Thanks for the detailed reply. So, if I understand correctly, it seems that what is really being considered is not so much the absolute gain level of the amp knobs, but the differences in amp gain settings across the different DR outputs so that the gain of the signal being sent to the amp can be cut or boosted on each channel as necessary.

On another output-related issue, p. 46 of the DR260 manual refers to an "Output Jumper Switches" screen that is supposed to appear under the Utility menu for the purpose of adjusting the output levels on each channel to either 14dB, 22dB, or 30dB. This screen does not seem to exist in the version 1.6 firmware I'm using. Am I missing something or has this function been removed?
    Dave-in-TN wrote:
    So, if I understand correctly, it seems that what is really being considered is not so much the absolute gain level of the amp knobs, but the differences in amp gain settings across the different DR outputs so that the gain of the signal being sent to the amp can be cut or boosted on each channel as necessary.
    I just did an experament with the wizard. I set the amps as RMX5050 (bridged) for subs. As I changed sub speakers, the amp setting never changed but the x-over gain did. PV118 was -5
    SRX728 was -11
    JRX118 was -14
    Custom was -5 (the wixard doesn't even know what speaker it is. It could be 3" tv speaker or a Meyer "mega sub", but yet it is assigning settings) :? :roll:
    However once gain structure is established you should NEVER increase the gain of the x-over or the amp. Doing so will allow the amps to receive signals too hot for the setting and will clip.
    Dave-in-TN wrote:
    On another output-related issue, p. 46 of the DR260 manual refers to an "Output Jumper Switches" screen that is supposed to appear under the Utility menu for the purpose of adjusting the output levels on each channel to either 14dB, 22dB, or 30dB. This screen does not seem to exist in the version 1.6 firmware I'm using. Am I missing something or has this function been removed?
    Thanks for the detailed reply. So, if I understand correctly, it seems that what is really being considered is not so much the absolute gain level of the amp knobs, but the differences in amp gain settings across the different DR outputs so that the gain of the signal being sent to the amp can be cut or boosted on each channel as necessary.
    Decrease ONLY to balance output.
    Dave-in-TN wrote:

Changing the jumpers changes the calibration of the meters. If you bought new, leave them alone for pro applications. There is no reference in the Driveware utilities, so I don't know, but I believe that the jumpers are changed internal to the unit, dip switches maybe.
    Gadget??

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    There is no reference in the Driveware utilities, so I don't know, but I believe that the jumpers are changed internal to the unit, dip switches maybe.
    That's really odd that, if it's done with internal mechanical switches, there is a screen shot in the manual of a Utility menu screen for doing this. Seems like there's a lack of communication between the product developers and the documentation guys.
    Dra wrote:
    If you bought new, leave them alone for pro applications.
    I didn't. I bought it used from a restaurant owner who had it installed in his restaurant several years ago by someone else.
    Maybe I should look at the manual. Will post back.

DRA
    You're right. Odd that I can't seem to find it in the GUI.
    If you are wanting to check them to make sure they are set where they should be, just do a hard reset. Do you have the latest firmware installed? You should. Have you downloaded the Driveware GUI? You should. Save any programs onto your computer that you want to save, or just write down all data for the programs. But if you are just starting out, there is nothing to lose, right?

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    You're right. Odd that I can't seem to find it in the GUI.
    Glad it's not just me. :)
    Dra wrote:
    If you are wanting to check them to make sure they are set where they should be, just do a hard reset. Do you have the latest firmware installed? You should. Have you downloaded the Driveware GUI? You should. Save any programs onto your computer that you want to save, or just write down all data for the programs. But if you are just starting out, there is nothing to lose, right?
    Yes, latest firmware (1.6). It came with 1.1 on it, but I tracked down some cables and updated it. Yes to GUI. I downloaded it and was playing with it in offline mode before I ever decided for sure whether to get the 260. I've created one program already and stored it, so I'll back it up before resetting.

Incidentally, I'm never going to have a computer available on the scene when my system is actually in use, so one of the big considerations for me is how easy or difficult it is to make tweaks via the front panel. So, in trying to get a better feel for that, I have already spent quite a bit of time creating and tweaking my one program using only the front panel. At this point, I much prefer the interface on my DCX2496, but that's probably mostly due to the fact that I'm more familiar with it. Time will tell...
    If Gadget doesn't chime in soon, just do a hard reset and be done with it.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Very important to be able to navigate the front panel...When you get to know it it's not bad if you have decent eyesight... YMMV, otherwise, The jumpers are for situations where the source doesn't have enough gain. Not unusual that the utility section isn't in the GUI, those settings are generally not needed in normal operation.

As I recall the jumper setting that is internal (solder jumpers by the way as I recall) is a DRPA feature. On the 260 the "jumper change" doesn't change the meters, so your not going to have accurate meters, BUT that is form memory, and I'll contact Mike and get a definitive answer.
    G
  • Thanks, Gadget. This really isn't critical. It was more out of curiosity. I just found it odd that there was a documented screen in the manual that was not available on my unit.

But now that we've been discussing it, I would be curious to know what the default output setting is and how I can find out what mine is set at. Is doing a factory reset the only way to know for sure?