Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads Zone Pro 640/641 Zone Pro 640/641 General Discussion

new 641m network issue

Ok so we have the new 641m Zonepro and upon advice from the importer said it would allow remote management on the network.

So

tried to forward and name all correct details in zonepro and router/firewall and the v3.0 software does not pick up the device over the net.

can ping the 641m and program it via the local network but not remotely even put it in the dmz with no luck.

should i maybe try a remote ip/port scan of the zone pros network and if so what would be the best scanner software to use with this application if this will work at all or is there something i may have missed ?

Comments

• Hi grunter375,

Have you setup a Proxy in ZonePRO Designer? Please see the below information.

Proxy

The proxy feature allows you to access a ZonePRO over a complex or remote network. An example of this is when the PC and the ZonePRO reside on different subnets. The mechanism that is used by default for the ZonePRO designer software to discover and maintain a connection to the ZonePRO units utilizes IP broadcast packets. These packets will not travel through internet routers and even some high end core switches. In order to connect to one or more ZonePROs that are attached to a complex network proxy is used to tell the Designer software where on the network to look for the ZonePRO devices. There only needs to be one proxy setup for each group of ZonePROs that are on the same local network. The device that is the proxy will pass information to the other ZonePROs that it sees on the network that will allow them to connect to the ZonePRO Designer software.

Follow these steps to setup a proxy connection:

1. Make sure that the ZonePRO has been correctly configured for the network that it is on and that the PC that is running the ZonePRO Designer software has a network connection to that 1260 / 1261 device. You should be able to ping from the windows box to the ZonePRO.

2. Select Properties from the Network menu of the main ZonePRO Designer window.

3. Make sure that “Use Ethernet� selected.

4. Select “Advanced.�

5. Press the Add… button. The Add Proxy window will appear.

6. Enter the IP address or a host name for one of the ZonePRO devices on the remote network and click OK.

7. Press the Finish button to close the properties window.

8. Select Go Online from the Network menu. After a moment you will see your devices appear in the window.

If the ZonePRO Designer software can not establish a connection with the proxy you will receive a failure message after about one minute of trying to connect.

Proxy can be used to allow remote access to monitor and make minor changes to any ZonePRO 1260 or 1261 that is accessible from the internet. There are some things that can not be done over a proxy connection. For example, it is not possible for you to change the IP or node addresses over a proxy connection. Proxy is not intended for initial setup of any ZonePRO it can only be used for remote monitoring and maintenance.

Virtual Private Networks (VPN)

Virtual private networks (VPN) provide an encrypted connection (or tunnel) between networks or between a network and a user over a public network (such as the Internet). Instead of using a dedicated, real-world connection such as leased line, a VPN uses virtual connections through the public network. The advantage to a VPN is that your computer can be virtually connected to a local network even though it is physically anywhere in the world where you have an internet connection. This can also be done in a safe manner not compromising your local network’s security. If you would like to manage your ZonePROs remotely you should create a secure VPN connection.

There are many solutions on the market today that provide VPN access. These products offer different features, methods of VPN, complexity of setup and maintenance, as well as varying levels of security. It is beyond the scope of this manual to recommend a VPN solution that will best suit the needs of your network, although you will need a VPN that is capable of passing UDP and TCP traffic (most do). The ZonePRO has been tested against several solutions and should work with all VPNs that meet these criteria. Please work with your system administrator and Internet service provider to find a VPN that will best fit your network.

The 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (model # 3CR860-95) is one solution that has been tested, and is both inexpensive and simple to set up. It provides up to two concurrent VPN connections. It works well with Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP built-in VPN interfaces.

Network Considerations and Limitations

• Without a VPN, there can be no access from the outside world to any ZonePRO that is behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) router. (One-to-One NAT and port forwarding will not work.)

• The address tool will not allow address changes on any ZonePRO that is connected to the GUI via a proxy.

• When connecting to a ZonePRO through a proxy, the locate tool will only work on the unit that is setup as the proxy, and not the devices that are connected through it.

• Only connect at a 10-Mbit rate. Any device that is forced to 100-Mbit or above with not link up. This will work at both 10 half and 10 full duplex.

• There is no auto sensing of the Ethernet Tx / Rx pairs. This means that if a hub switch is not used then, the user must connect to the device via an Ethernet crossover cable (supplied).

• There is a maximum of (10) ZonePRO devices that can connect to the ZonePRO designer software at any given time.

• If the proxy link initially fails to connect, the user must go offline and then go back online before the proxy connection will be re-established.

• Firewall Considerations: The ZonePRO uses port 3804 (udp and tcp) to communicate with the ZonePRO Designer software. Make sure that you configure your firewalls correctly so that data sent to and from this port number can traverse your network.

Network Troubleshooting

If you are having difficulty getting your ZonePRO to show up in your ZonePRO Designer software here are some things that you can try to resolve the problem.

Software Firewall: If the PC that you have installed the ZonePRO Designer software on has a built in firewall you need to make sure that you allow the software the ability to talk on your network. Try disabling your firewall and then going offline and back online in the ZonePRO software. If this fixes the problem, refer to your firewall manufacturer’s documentation on how to reconfigure your firewall to allow the ZonePRO Designer application and/or port 3804 tcp and udp to pass through the firewall.

Ethernet Link: Make sure that you have a valid Ethernet connection by looking at the link status lights. Most Ethernet devices will have some kind of indicator that shows the link is present. Check the following connections:

• ZonePRO device – If there is a valid connection on the ZonePRO you will see a solid green LED.

• PC running the ZonePRO Designer software

• Hub / Switch (if used)

If you fail to see a link light try removing and reinserting the cable or trying a different, known good, cable. Also, make sure that you are using the correct cable. The included crossover cable is needed to make a direct connection between your PC and the ZonePRO.

Ping: There is a simple utility built into Microsoft windows operating systems that test the network connection between two devices. The following steps outline how to use this utility.

1. Click on Run... from start button.

2. Enter cmd and press OK. This will bring up a command window.

3. At the prompt enter PING <IP address of your ZonePRO> and press enter. The data should appear something like this:

Pinging 10.10.10.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from <IP address of your ZonePRO>: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

If you get a “reply from� response from the IP address that you were pinging in a timely manner, it means that you have a valid network connection between the two devices.

If you receive a “Destination net unreachable� or “Request timed out� message, this indicates that your computer is not communicating with the ZonePRO device.

Hope this helps.
  • Well the 641`s are setup but the client has not yet got a router with a vpn "server" as the one suggested is no longer available here. The IT department has ordered a linksys AG300 i am hoping this will do the job can anyone confirm if it will work? Unfortunetly i have not had much luck with support on this here from the supplier as they only gave me half the details that i got here so hence this forum seems to be the best place for product support "THANKS GUYS" has anyone else set one up and any more details as their IT department says the info i have given them is "loose documentation" and we will need to be setting all of these up now as remote managed.
  • Hi grunter375,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this router will work or not as we haven't tested it here. Please let me know what you find.
  • can anyone tell me what router will work that is available here in Australia currently ?
  • I'm not sure if this one is available in Australia or not, but the Linksys BEFVP41 has been verified to work.

Hope this helps.
  • well you were right they got that router and it did not work i could VPN connect to the router but not see the zone pro`s. The zone pros are setup as suggested that part i had already checked before i left the site interstate.

The customer has now really got the shits up and has now asked that we fly interstate to setup the router, this is a costly exercise i wish the supplier here in OZ could recommend a router to use but all they seem to do is copy whats on here and tell me that not knowing its me on this post.

So the Linksys BEFVP41 is not available here so i need some ideas as to what will work.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Tell, you what, Post this question on the PSW and see if they haven't got some suggestions for you... there are a lot more divergent types there and more pro audio guys to bang heads with. Here's the link:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/2/0/

Caution, this place can be a little rough... make sure to register with your full name and follow the rules (read me first before posting)

This site might also be a good place to post. Won't be as persnickety..as the LAB guys .
    http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/6/0/

best regards
    gadget
  • Thanks have posted on there.
  • Just a final on this post after hours onsite we could not get these units to work via a router so we installed a crappy laptop with win7 lite and RDP to that over the net and we now have update access this was the only way we could work out to get it working.
  • The information you have posted is very useful. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work. Please keep inspiring more readers! Travel Technology Solutions