Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

2x6 xover config??

adrianoatkadrianoatk Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in PA Configuration Wizard
hi.. new in the forum & new in dbx... :)

i've purchsed a dbx pa+ for running my sound system... but i cannot configure the xover in orther to have 6 differnet outputs.

what i need is to have 2 different outputs for the subs, coz i have 2 types of sub so i need 2 different xover cuts.

i dont know if its possible to do that... but it should, didn't it??

i would like to invert the phase to 1 of this outputs...

its possible to do that???

any help will be gratefully recieved..

THX EVERYONE

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I think you will need a DriveRack 260 to accomplish that.
  • i thought,...

but in the owners manual says that the pa+ can be configurated as a 2x6 xover... but i havnt found the way....

i can solve the phase problem by solding a inverted xlr... but i need to have 2 different sub xover cuts... coz i have bass reflex & folded horn subs....

if its not possible to config the pa+ as 2x6 xover... they may change the manual..

i thnik that it should be a way.. that im not finding...
    The 2x6 refers to "two in/six out" which the PA+ can do but some of the functions are in stereo pairs and cannot be configured into independent channels. Why do you need to invert polarity? inquiring minds...........

Dennis
  • so.. i have to buy the 260, what a pity... i think dbs' people should make the manuals easyunderstanding... or especificate that in teh pa+ the crossover function is st linked always....

whathever...

i need to invert the polarity coz... are different label speakers and they work with different phases... by inverting the polarity i can adjust the phase so i have a sum and no cancelations.

if anyone has more info about pa+ xover config... please leave it here!!

THX AGAIN
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You can do mono three way on the left channel and use the right for a modified sub output on any of the outputs (but the hi outs have 3 Peq's to work with the others have 2) ...

I would make a jack panel for the amp output to invert the phase there...instead of modifying any cables.. that way any cable will work in any position...

The DRPA+ can do 2x6... just not 6 separate outputs.. it costs more money to produce that capability and dbx wanted to get the DRPA+ out at a specific price point and that was one of the limitations...

Gadget

I deleted your duplicate post...
    adrianoatk wrote:
    i need to invert the polarity coz... are different label speakers and they work with different phases... by inverting the polarity i can adjust the phase so i have a sum and no cancelations.
    Two different styles of subs will indeed have different phase characteristics but they will be no where near 180* out from each other. That is what a polarity inversion will accomplish. What measurement techniques have you used to determine the necessity of polarity inversion? And when did you measure...you said you just purchased a DRPA+ and haven't figured out how to connect it yet. Usually, an amount of delay added to one set of subs will phase align them to the other set.

Dennis
  • i was running my sound system with a cheap beringer dsp... and in a job.... they told me that they dont want beringer... so i just bought the pa+ quickly and without looking exactly the specs... i just saw 2x6 and i thought... BINGO...

for that job i just need a 3 way ST coz less equpment was required.. and i thought that the pa+ would be enough for after aplications...

bad luck... of course its my fault for not reading the specs... i was just asking if i could use to run all the sound...

i havnt made any mesures for the polarity... but it sounds better inverted... i think its not exactly 180... but its really near...

ill try to adjust better when i got the 260....

You can do mono three way on the left channel and use the right for a modified sub output on any of the outputs (but the hi outs have 3 Peq's to work with the others have 2) ..

i havent understood this... very well... but if i use 3 way mono... the other outputs will not be able to config, do they??

or may i send 1 sub output to a normal xover to get the cut?? its not the best solution.. but its one..??

well THX for trying to help me...!!!
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Set up a 3-way in the DRPA. Send a mono (summed) signal to left and right inputs.
    Top cabs - left highs.
    Sub (A) - left mids. (used as a lows output)
    Sub (B) - right lows.
    Time alignment is limited to 10ms per band, so you may have to physically place cabs to get everything to get it right. For example, you may need 5ms to align the tops and the front loaded subs. You may need another 10ms to align to the horn subs. That's 15ms. 5ms more than you have, so you would have to move the horn sub forward 5ft.

DRA
  • So that I'm "Chrystal clear:" by default the DRPA does NOT invert polarity/phase. What goes in, comes out, XO'd of course, but the same. I have a DRPA managing my L&R HT towers. My concern: they're "in phase" w/the subs & other 3 channels.

Thnx, Tony
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    While there is some phase shift inherent in all filters..... NO, no outputs are 180 degrees inverted or polarity reversed.

DRA