Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

help with 223 xl settings, in a PA system!!!!

shannan-grosshannan-gros Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in Configuration Wizard
this is our current PA configuration:
Peavey passive board
sonic maximizer
223xl crossover stereo mode
amp 1 - Mains -channel 2 hi from crossover - daisy chained two SP2 15" black widows (to balance at 4 ohms)
Amp 2 - Subs - channel 1 lo from crossover - "Y" the amp to sending same signal to both channels, where each channel is pushing a SP218 18"black widows (each carrying a 4 ohm load)

1. just looking for the best setting or recommendations, last time we used the PA the bass was very harsh sounding especially when all instruments playe at the same time. Not sure if we are crossing over frequencies?

2. don't understand what the sub sum completely means if you could maybe dumb it down a lil for me

Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone can provide to me on this topic

3. i have looked through the forums and been to the recommended topic vies but i still don't understand what setting since most of the articles are using other types of speakers.

4. should the board have each instrument panned left or right depending on where you want to signal to go (ex - the bass is panned all the way left to send to the subs). does this defeat the purpose of the crossover since the crossover should be splitting the signal anyway sending the lo end from the bass down to the subs and keeping some of the clank and highs coming through the mains

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    UGH...Sonic Discombobulator?

Did you read this FAQ?
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1712
    So are you running the subs on the left out and the tops on the right?

The crossover point is power dependent.. (more power on the tops lower xover lower power higher xover point) and with that analog xover where the actual acoustical xover point is.. well some experimentation is warranted, but probably 100 hz is a good point to start...
    2. don't understand what the sub sum completely means if you could maybe dumb it down a lil for me

Doesn't really matter since your running mono.. what it does is SUM the left and right signals for mono subs...but you are already running mono.
    4. should the board have each instrument panned left or right depending on where you want to signal to go (ex - the bass is panned all the way left to send to the subs). does this defeat the purpose of the crossover since the crossover should be splitting the signal anyway sending the lo end from the bass down to the subs and keeping some of the clank and highs coming through the mains

Again, are you running the subs off the left channel and the tops off the right? I wouldn't do it that way.. no and yes the idea is to have the xover take care of the low end content in the subs.... the lower the crossover point the less of the vocal there will be in the subs..

You could (if you had an extra aux send do aux fed subs.. but it's not easy to get that right... with what you have... difficult at best.

Try running the setup as listed in the FAQ I posted and then turn the tops OFF and play with the xover point and see where the knob falls when you speak through a mic (with the channel strip eq centered) and find where the vocals are not present in the subs.. If it's lower than 70hz then you'll want to roll it up a bit...

I would skip the BBE...that could be part of the problem as it uses psycho-acoustics to trick the ear into hearing what isn't there.

Without some way to alter the sonics of the speakers (EQ... and channel strip eq won't do it...) you'll have a problem dealing with those peaky beasts...If you can swing a Driverack DRPA+ you'll not believe the difference in the sound you can get.
    Gadget
  • thanks, for the info.

one more question with the previous set up we are using the crown xti4000 amps for the the speakers

one amp is running the mains daisy chained to push the 4 ohms

and the other 4000 is in "y" mode on the 218.

are we under powered and would getting another amp help out for the mains and run each sub off of one 4000 a piece. what is the best amp to run the two sp2 at recommended powering.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Can you get as loud as you want? It wouldn't be enough power for me...With those subs...
    G