Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads Zone Pro 1260/1261 Zone Pro 1260/1261 Connectivity

Wireless connection

JimmyJ1JimmyJ1 Posts: 7
What I want to do is load the software on a notepad, and use a wireless router so that I can walk around the building and dial in each zone on the 1260. Has anyone done this that can tell me exactly how to do it? What router will accept a null modem cable??
Thanks, Jimmy.

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    This is older, and deals with a 260, but the process should work with a 1200 series..
    Gadget

http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=40451
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Another option is a serial to ethernet converter (as well as a wireless router)

Dennis
  • Dennis wrote:
    Another option is a serial to ethernet converter (as well as a wireless router)

Dennis
    Can you explain how that is set up? I have not used these things in the past, so I need explicit info. :)
    JimmyJ1 wrote:
    Can you explain how that is set up? I have not used these things in the past, so I need explicit info. :)
    ZonePro serial connector to converter serial connector.
    Converter ethernet connector to wireless router ethernet port (NOT internet WAN port)
    Connect to router wirelessly with computer.

Google "serial to ethernet" for a gazillion converter options.
    My consumer level wireless router of choice is an Apple Airport Extreme.

Dennis
  • I read somewhere that not all serial/ethernet converters work well with the Zonepro. Can we just use the ethernet jack and go straight to a router?
    JimmyJ1 wrote:
    I read somewhere that not all serial/ethernet converters work well with the Zonepro. Can we just use the ethernet jack and go straight to a router?
    I would have to double check but I think the ethernet jack is just for linking multiple ZonePros...not for talking to your computer.

Dennis
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I would have to double check but I think the ethernet jack is just for linking multiple ZonePros...not for talking to your computer.

Dennis is correct as usual... :wink:
  • Hmmmm, I have used only the ethernet connection on the last 2 installs. Would an adapter work such as this one?
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2272642&CatId=3
    JimmyJ1 wrote:
    Hmmmm, I have used only the ethernet connection on the last 2 installs. Would an adapter work such as this one?
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2272642&CatId=3
    I assumed you were using the ZonePro Designer GUI with a laptop...I thought the ethernet connector that was below the serial connector was for Crestron control (or similar) which is above my pay grade.

Dennis
  • Yes, I am using a laptop to the ethernet jack. I am wanting to use the serial jack. Can you recommend an adapter? I found that cheap adapter but shouldn't it have something to it more than just wiring the two plaugs together?
    JimmyJ1 wrote:
    Yes, I am using a laptop to the ethernet jack. I am wanting to use the serial jack. Can you recommend an adapter? I found that cheap adapter but shouldn't it have something to it more than just wiring the two plaugs together?
    I just gotta answer a question with a question....if you are successfully controlling the ZonePro with your laptop through the ethernet connector, why do you want to take several steps backward and use the serial connector??
  • My rep told me the serial port was a better connection for some reason. ?? Don't know why they don't put in a USB2.
    No one else using a wireless setup?
    JimmyJ1 wrote:
    My rep told me the serial port was a better connection for some reason. ?? Don't know why they don't put in a USB2.
    No one else using a wireless setup?
    I just took the time to RTFM and sure enough, the ethernet connector below the serial connector is for computer control of the unit. All that you need is a wireless router which you connect to the ZonePro and you should be in business. You don't need the serial connector or a serial to ethernet adapter. FYI the serial/ethernet adapters I am talking about are in the $75 - $150 range and have active electronics. This is the unit I am using:
    http://us.startech.com/product/NETRS232 ... et-Adapter

Dennis