Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

Configuration help please

baw659baw659 Posts: 37
edited January 2011 in Configuration Wizard
I'm having a hard time getting my head around how to connect our system up. I want to go to aux fed subs also which I know how to do.
What I have is
Presonus 16.4.2
Driverack 260
Driverack PA+
Crown IT8000 stereo on 4 JBL718
2 Crown XTI6000 bridged on the mids of JBL SRX725
1 Crown XTI2000 stereo on the highs of JBL SRX725
Drummer on in ears
and 3 floor monitors all powered.

I have the in ears on 2 aux's linked stereo is there a way to get the other monitors on the Driverack?
I would lose the low out on the 260 if I go aux fed on subs right? I have to use 1 input on either DR for the aux feed for the sub crossover correct?
Could or should I run mono out of the mixer into one input on a DR?

thanks for any help, Brian

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Your definitely in the right place :mrgreen: I too have an SL16 and I have been experimenting with aux fed subs...My setup is powered tops/amp/subs, 4 powered monitor zones... (will be XTi 200 x2 and 4 passive monitors.

The SL16 offers...
    6 usable auxes
    BUT:
    1. If you need to use all 16 channels AND have music AND want to use the submasters for things like EFX x 2 and vox gas and drum gas ( these are kind of like matrix's, you assign the drum channels to the submaster you want to use and the vocals to the other and the EFX are pre routed to aux 3/4 ...delay and verb) you won't have any way to add low end to the music (as in running them into the tape input)
    2. If you don't need all the sub-masters... route the music into the aux inputs and route them into the sub-masters and then you will have to do the below in order to make it work...

Another way to run aux subs is to place the tops on the left output and the subs on the right output, then use the pan control to adjust the amount of sub in the channel... fully left = no subs in the channel fully right = all sub in the channel...of course this is a mono mix...

So in short I do get to use it for aux fed subs but not always, and I have both setups available with them set up separately in the Driverack, in which on the one hand the left input and left and right outputs are used , on the other the left input and left output are used for the tops, and the right input and output are used for the subs. You pan back and forth to add subs and take them out of the mix... to use "capture"... well that's another subject...

With
    1. a stereo in ear mix,
    2. mains/ subs
    3. 3 monitors
    you would run the IEM's direct out of the 2 auxes, and the mains on the DRPA, and then you would have to run 2 monitors on one mix and one on the other.

I chose the 260 for monitors because you would have total control of 2 mixes, not so much with the DRPA...

I use a DRPA + for the FOH and will be using 2 XTi 2000's for the 4 monitor mixes.

The SL 16 has 4 semi parametric EQ's and a hipass filter per output as well as dynamics...
    Now ask your questions using that info...
    Gadget
  • baw659baw659 Posts: 37
    Well my idea was to run the aux fed subs off of aux 6 by turning up the levels of what I wanted ie kick floor tom bass like a monitor mix and use the aux 6 master volume for the sub level. Then I was going to run out of aux 6 into a xover for my hpf and lpf for the subs. I just couldn't figure out what to run thru the PA+ and what for the 260 for the best use of each.

I have drums on sub 1, vox on sub 2, instruments on sub 3 and verb on 4 now.

Does this make sense or am I a complete idiot?
    Idiot? Who said anything about calling anyone that :mrgreen:

Are you not using any EFX? because I use Aux 3 and 4 for those...instead of swallowing up a channel...

What about music.. are you not playing any? Because you will need to send it to one of the inputs or the submasters in order to get ANY bass using the aux fed method...

These are questions you need to answer if your going to want to do aux fed subs.
    g
  • baw659baw659 Posts: 37
    Well the band my son was in (he's the drummer) we did play music in between sets, but the band he's in now has one or two band open for them and the bars usually play music on their system in between.

The only efx we use are verb in the mains with some verb and slap back in the monitors for the vocalist (he likes that). Do I need schooling on EFX also? I'm a self taught kind of guy (for better or worse) but I don't mind asking questions and learning from those in the know.

thanks, Brian
    All right Brian..
    Now, how are you running the verb and delay currently? As you may have found you can route them in EFX section to the aux sends... that is on page 4, I like to send the delay to submaster 3 and the verb to submaster 4. That way I don't use a channel, and I can use a fader to control the EFX... not a rotory knob...

I provided routing info to the 2 driveracks in my response to your first post, see if that makes sense and ask more questions if you have them.
    1. If you need to use all 16 channels AND have music AND want to use the submasters for things like EFX x 2 and vox gas and drum gas ( these are kind of like matrix's, you assign the drum channels to the submaster you want to use and the vocals to the other and the EFX are pre routed to aux 3/4 ...delay and verb) you won't have any way to add low end to the music (as in running them into the tape input)
    2. If you don't need all the sub-masters... route the music into the aux inputs and route them into the sub-masters and then you will have to do the below in order to make it work...

Another way to run aux subs is to place the tops on the left output and the subs on the right output, then use the pan control to adjust the amount of sub in the channel... fully left = no subs in the channel fully right = all sub in the channel...of course this is a mono mix...

So in short I do get to use it for aux fed subs but not always, and I have both setups available with them set up separately in the Driverack, in which on the one hand the left input and left and right outputs are used , on the other the left input and left output are used for the tops, and the right input and output are used for the subs. You pan back and forth to add subs and take them out of the mix... to use "capture"... well that's another subject...

With
    1. a stereo in ear mix,
    2. mains/ subs
    3. 3 monitors
    you would run the IEM's direct out of the 2 auxes, and the mains on the DRPA, and then you would have to run 2 monitors on one mix and one on the other.

I chose the 260 for monitors because you would have total control of 2 mixes, not so much with the DRPA...

I use a DRPA + for the FOH and will be using 2 XTi 2000's for the 4 monitor mixes.

The SL 16 has 4 semi parametric EQ's and a hipass filter per output as well as dynamics...

Gadget