Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

DRPA W/JBL PRX Powered Cabs... Suggestions?

OklaPonyOklaPony Posts: 48
edited June 2011 in PA Configuration Wizard
FOH consists of:
2 - PRX512
2 - PRX618S
1 - DRPA

Hints? Suggestions?

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    What are you doing with it? With a 3dB down @ 100 hz anything below that would be good... is it the DRPA or DRPA+ ?
    Gadget
  • OklaPonyOklaPony Posts: 48
    Gadget wrote:
    What are you doing with it? With a 3dB down @ 100 hz anything below that would be good... is it the DRPA or DRPA+ ?
    Gadget
    It's a DRPA (gen. 1 if memory serves) in a club that holds about 300 or so. Performers include everything from acoustic guitar / 1 vocal mic to 4-7 piece funk/pop/rock bands.

I know I can use it as a simple X-over (BW18, I suppose?) but was interested to see if anyone here had gone through the rigors of setting up a complete patch for a similar rig, meanwhile hoping to avoid any pitfalls that may have arisen and trying to further my DR education with others' experience. :) At some point a DRPX will replace the existing DRPA, which will then get moved to the monitor system.
    Well, I got to go in and do a little work on this system today... wasn't exactly the way I remembered it, lol. I got the components right but had forgotten the exact config. They've chosen to run everything mono so each stack is on its appropriate side of the stage about 25 feet apart, 618S on the floor, 512M on a subpole. For my initial run-through I chose the EON15G2 and the EONSUB profiles to use as a starting point. I selected Dual-Mono for the eq but got no output from the R High but resolved the issue by moving it to Stereo-Linked. Still not sure I understand why dm wouldn't work since the setup map ended up showing 1X3... weird.

It'd been about 8 months since I'd been in the room and forgot what a cave it is... all brass, glass, wood, hard floors, and perpendicular angles. Funky sounding place and I didn't have an adequate time window to do everything I wanted but since they've got a group in there tonight so I had to rough it in... I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow if a disaster occurs. Here's what I can remember:

X-over at 106
    All filters BW18
    Overeasy comp at 3, -12 threshold, 3db gain
    "D" eq profile (don't think I'll stick with this but it's a start) then manually tweaked a few things
    Feedback - narrow notch, 8 fixed, 4 live (tested with 4 live mics on stage, 2 SM57's and 2 D5's)
    Those numbers look fine...if you want to do that (dual mono) you need to select stereo, then dual mono in the wizard ... other wise you have a 1X...

the caveat for dual mono is that you will have to do each side separately when you auto eq...

G
    Got a little feedback (not the squealy kind) from the system today. They said it sounds great, no feedback, better and tighter bass with the new 618's over the generic enclosures they replaced.

Music to my ears... :mrgreen:

Incidentally, I just got a pair of the PRX618S-XLF's in yesterday. I took one and stacked a PRX525 on it, used the x-over in the sub, and cranked it up a lil bit. I think I'm going to enjoy these greatly.
    probably a room mode.. 250-500 hz?
    G
    OklaPony wrote:
    Got a little feedback (not the squealy kind) from the system today. They said it sounds great, no feedback, better and tighter bass with the new 618's over the generic enclosures they replaced.

Music to my ears... :mrgreen:

Incidentally, I just got a pair of the PRX618S-XLF's in yesterday. I took one and stacked a PRX525 on it, used the x-over in the sub, and cranked it up a lil bit. I think I'm going to enjoy these greatly.
    Gadget wrote:
    probably a room mode.. 250-500 hz?
    G
    lol... Just read this again and realized why initially I was puzzled over your reply.

In this particular instance I was referring to feedback as in customer feedback, hence not the "squealy kind".

That, coupled with "room mode" (which now I'm assuming must have been intended to be "room node") led me to be confused about exactly what each of us were talking about.

Damn InnerWebs 8)