Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

DRPA+ Compressor settings and Auto-leveler advice please.

dyson2004dyson2004 Posts: 10
edited June 2011 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hello,
I have had the DRPA+ for a while now but I think I am doing several things wrong. Please excuse me if my questions are dumb - I do learn from my mistakes I assure you and your expert advice would be very welcome, thank you.

At the moment I am using the DRPA+ with my QSC PLX 1804 amp and two UK-made full range speakers, HZ200, that are not included in the preset menus on the DRPA+. Here they are:

http://www.e-av.co.uk/hz-he200-full-ran ... kers-pair/

I am not using any subs, just the two speakers.

Next year I am going to buy a pair of EV SX300E. These ARE listed in the presets and of course I will dial them in when I eventually buy them.

In the meantime I am using the HZ HE200's with the QSC 1804 amp and my DRPA+. My first question is, do I still have to do the auto-leveling in the set-up wizard with the RTA mic, or are these settings now automatically set by the DRPA+ with the PLX1804 amp? I am not really sure what the auto-leveling does to be honest and what it is that is being auto-leveled.

When using the PLX 1804 amp, the DRPA+ preset has set the limiter to ON, 16dB and overeasy at 4. I cannot see what else the DRPA+ has automatically adjusted with this model of amplifier. Can you tell me please?

I do not have a clue how to set the DRPA+ compressor up. At the moment I have it set to these settings (and I cannot remember why I set them like this):

Compressor ON
Overeasy 4
Theshold 3dB
2.0:1
Gain 2.5dB

Can you give me better settings please or are these OK?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    Oops, I forgot to say in my last post that I play in fairly small venues, up to about 200 people. I normally use a Mackie 1202 mixer and Lexicon reverb. I play electric piano mainly for singers (big heavy ballads and mainly pop). I use an Alesis drum machine and do backing vocals. Hopefully that can point you in the right direction regarding my DRPA+ compressor settings. Thanks again, Jim.
  • Options
    Also, as I have used the DRPA+ full range preset for just my 2 speakers, is is safe to run them full range? Or should I cut the bottom frequencies off the GEQ? Thanks.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    dyson2004 wrote:
    Also, as I have used the DRPA+ full range preset for just my 2 speakers, is is safe to run them full range? Or should I cut the bottom frequencies off the GEQ? Thanks.

No. Raise the hi pass filter on the x-over to 50-55hz BW18.

Also, if you are buying the EV's because you like them... fine. But, if you are buying them because they are in the "list"... don't. There is NO reason to buy anything in the list, unless there is bi-amp data for the PEQ's and x-over freqs and levels. Set up a preset with the amps and speakers you "want" and you can scroll through and see if there is anything beneficial. I can almost guarantee that you will get no "settings" help for any full range speaker that is in the list EXCEPT MAYBE an HPF.

DRA
  • Options
    Thank you for your help Dra. I will set the BW18 tomorrow (I'm in bed at moment, UK time). Why is it better to adjust the BW18 rather than pull down everything below 50-55 on the GEQ? Can you also tell me if my compressor settings as listed in my above post are correct, or can you make a suggestion please? I assume, probably wrongly, that it is standard practice to comp the mix and that whatever you do to the compressor will not cause harm as the limiter is already set. Regarding the EV, I have always loved their sound and was delighted when I saw that the DRPA+ had a preset. Do you not like these speakers? I had not realised that the DRPA+ adjusted very little when set for the EV's. But i really like their tone. Thanks again, Jim
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Thank you for your help Dra. I will set the BW18 tomorrow (I'm in bed at moment, UK time). Why is it better to adjust the BW18 rather than pull down everything below 50-55 on the GEQ?

You have to understand the way equalizers work to see why that isn't even close to a good idea... will it work? yes, will the hipass filter work better and sound better? YES suffice it to say that with a BW 18 filter @ 50-55 hz you will be protecting your speakers from over excrusion ( moving far enough to hit the mechanical stops or ripping the surrounds or the cone) the GEQ bands are NOT adjustable, only fall on ISO frequencies, and have lots of drawbacks the HPF doesn't..
    Can you also tell me if my compressor settings as listed in my above post are correct, or can you make a suggestion please? I assume, probably wrongly, that it is standard practice to comp the mix and that whatever you do to the compressor will not cause harm as the limiter is already set.

Compression settings are like cloths...what I wear might not be what you like to wear...without knowing what you are doing and compressing the whole mix can CAUSE more problems than fix. If your looking to smooth the performance a bit look in the FAQ section, I put a "compress the whole mix" thread there...but remember... comping too heavy will be audible

the second part of your statement makes no sense... don't mix compression and limiting like that...you Compress to help subdue dynamics and smooth the overall output, you limit to set a peak level you don't want to exceed. they are not mutually exclusive but used for different purposes.

Snuffing the dynamics of a source is like sucking the life out of it...(in my opinion) today's music is WAY too heavily compressed and seems lifeless and bereft of emotion and dynamics. Compression should be used sparingly and subtly...
    I have always loved their sound and was delighted when I saw that the DRPA+ had a preset. Do you not like these speakers? I had not realised that the DRPA+ adjusted very little when set for the EV's. But i really like their tone.

You aren't LISTENING...fullrange speakers DO NOT NEED PRESETS! the ONLY thing you will get is a HPF... and that is likely a manufactured preset using the 3dB down point of the speakers response curve. YOU can do it yourself for most any fullrange speaker by finding the frequency response, looking at the 3dB down point and using a steep filter slope (like BW18-24) and entering it into the driverack and saving the preset. DONE... now you have made a preset for that speaker... just like dbx did...`

No, there is nothing wrong with the EV SX300E... they are just an older technology and there are newer ones out there...buy what you like..

Gadget
  • Options
    Thank for your help Gadget. I am now getting my head round this. I looked on here for your 'Compress the whole mix' FAQ link that you mentioned. Is this the one?
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1488

That deals with the 260. Do you have a link that would deal with the DRPA+ please?
    Thank you,
    Jim
  • Options
    The principle is the same...the point is, every system is different and needs different settings, you'll just have to do little experimenting...

G
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget. Can I ask you another question please? In the Wizard, the DRPA+ is telling me to set my QSC PLX 1804 amp to 51%. I see that by turning the select wheel, I can increase and decrease the percentage on the DRPA+. Does this mean that I can set this to any percentage as long as the amp matches the level stated? For instance, can I put the percentage to 100% on the Driverack and turn the amp fully up to 100%? If so that would be handy as I would not have to worry about anyone fiddling with the amp and turning it above the correct level.
    Thank you, Jim
  • Options
    That number, 51%, is the number that corresponds to the input sensitivity of the amp. That means that if you hit the front end of the driverack with a +22 dB signal @ -0- crossover / filter gain, the output of the DRPA+ will be sufficient to drive the amp to full output potential...with the amp at 51%

You can mash the gain on the amp to 100%, it will only mean that it will take far less (about 49% less) gain at the mixer to drive the amp to full power...

Gadget
  • Options
    Thank you very much for explaining. I will leave it at 51%. The speakers are sounding great. Thank you.