Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Front Panel

Which DBX RTA mike is best?

jperry01jperry01 Posts: 16
edited September 2011 in PA Front Panel
Hi, I see that there appears to be two different DBX RTA mikes available. One is sold as a DBX RTA mike $150 mike and is a grey colour. The other is Sold as a DBX RTA-M mike, that comes in a case with holder, and is around $300. Are they a different mike, and apart from the price difference which would be better with a DRPA+ ?

John

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 801
    jperry01 wrote:
    Hi, I see that there appears to be two different DBX RTA mikes available. One is sold as a DBX RTA mike $150 mike and is a grey colour. The other is Sold as a DBX RTA-M mike, that comes in a case with holder, and is around $300. Are they a different mike, and apart from the price difference which would be better with a DRPA+ ?

John

I just checked my dealer price list and your information is not correct. There are two stand alone DBX measurment mic options but they are:

DBX RTA-M 150.00 list 100.00 MAP
    DBX 480M 800.00 list 600.00 MAP (this one looks like a rebranded Earthworks M30)

Yes, the 480M is much better than the RTA-M but the RTA-M is more than adequate for the measurments you will be making.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    There are offerings by many companies ..The TR40 by Audix is a little over $140 but Rational acoustics has one that's pretty nice for under $100.. I have the RTA-M, the Behringer ECM6000 and the Peavey RTA1.. they all measure different...

The thing is, the response on inexpensive RTA mics varies widely from mic to mic (no consistency response wise) and are less and less active the lower and higher you get in frequency spectrum...

BUT.. as Dennis said, most of the mics offered will do fine with the resolution available on a 1/3 octave analyzer.

Gadget
  • Thanks guys, I'll buy the RTA-M

John