Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard
Options

New Speakers! JBL PRX 425 & 418

jdukedrumjdukedrum Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in Configuration Wizard
Hello!
New speakers are on the way, and every google search for Driverack timings on them tells me 'Driverack tunings will be available,' but when?! ;)

I was hoping this forum could help. I'm a little preemptively concerned because there doesn't seem to have been much recent discussion, but "help me Obi-wan, you're our only hope!"

Here's the setup:
Yamaha 01v96 into DRPA+
Yamaha 5000s amp bridged mono running the PRX418s subs
Yamaha 7000s amp running the PRX425 mains

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:
In case anyone else is looking, I just found this:
For this exercise were going to be finding and downloading speaker tunings for JBL SRX725 bi-amp and SRX728 subs. First find the JBL pro website and the downloads/tunings section:
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/t ... D=18&Run=1

Hopefully that will help.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,

Started this in the AM and got called away...

First off there will be no "tunings" for fullrange speakers (especially powered ones...). there would be only for bi-amp speakers. When you see a "tuning" for active or fullrange speakers it would only amount to an HPF or in the case of a tops/subs package, a crossover from subs to tops, and an HPF for the subs. With powered subs you don't even really need an HPF because the subs have one.

The point is, set up an HPF for the subs:

Find the 3dB and 10DdB down points, If you have at least 2 times the rated power then you can use the 3dB down point otherwise your hedging your bets using that and the 10dB down point is a a better choice to help prevent woofer damage.

As for the xover point, again, power is a factor as is midrange size, and if power is not optimum and the woofer is 15" then 100hz LR24 is a good starting point. Smaller speakers, 12", 10", 8" the smaller the higher the xover point. same goes for power, the less you have the higher the crossover point....
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget wrote:
    Hi,

Find the 3dB and 10DdB down points, If you have at least 2 times the rated power then you can use the 3dB down point otherwise your hedging your bets using that and the 10dB down point is a a better choice to help prevent woofer damage.

Gadget?
  • Options
    jdukedrum - JBL has tunings posted for the PRX400 series to be used with Crown XTI2 series amps, not sure when or if they'll release anything for other manufacturers amps. I'm about to set up a PRX418S and XTI4002, if I run across anything pertinent I'll be happy to post it up.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    understand this... EVERY DSP that you use tunings in WILL react and sound differently! ONLY tunings specifically will react and sound as designed...