Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity

newbee need help set up DBX PA+ SRX 725 SRX 728s xti 6002

desidjaydesidjay Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in Connectivity
Hello everyone
im new to this form needed some advice and help setup my our new system at our temple (church) we have bought new system for our functions if someone could help and give some advice we would really appreciate.

Our system is
1 - yamaha 124 cx mixer
1 - DBX DriveRack PA+
2 - crown XTI 6002
2 - JBL SRX 725
2 -JBL SRX 728S

Ok i have set up the system as
Mixer to DBX PA+ then High to 1st amp XTI 6002 to JBL SRX 725
DBX PA+ LOW to 2nd AMP xti 6002 to JBL SRx 728S

In the DBX i have done the set up wizard with 2 way set up .. as highs for srx 725 passive with xti 6002
and srx 728s with xti 6002 for low stereo. i have not done the auto eq due to no RTA-M mic.
IF I AM DOING ANYTHING WRONG PLZ LET ME KNOW :? if we near the speakers the highs dont feel right its kind of feels it tears the sound at the end i might take a vid today n post a link

my Q is do i need MID and is there specific speakers for mid or i can use SRX 725 as mid.
if i would like to have the MID put in should i get 2 new speakers and which ones. would it sound BETTER and clear? and which AMP OR go for AcTIVE ??
or there is another Option??
this is wats in my mind
use the srx 725 and xti 6002 as mid and get new highs speakers and AMP but dont know which one.? plz advice
OR
GET new speakers and amp for mid but which one? plz advice?

and one more Q last nite during the program the dbx should clip on the screen but the amps were around -10 should i worry abut this ? or wat change do i need to do?
plz let me know if im doing anything wrong or i need to change or improve something?

THANK YOU
We really appreciated your all help you can give.

Jay.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    "Tears the sound at the end"?
    Can you be more specific?

The 725/728 combo is very popular in the PA world. Most praise it's ability in the band/club environment.

There are a LOT of users over on the PSW (ProSoundWeb.com) forums.

Are the compressors activated? (PA+ or amp)

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi Jay,

I think you have a level problem, and are indicating that the highs are breaking up? Perhaps you could run the text through google translator to clear up the language barrier a bit...

The 725's, although harsh are a decent speaker, my suggestion would be to biamp them and get the most out of them. That way you can use JBL tuninga to clear things up, in the mean time, have you done a system gain structure?

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

Then if the amp is @ -10 and the DR is clipping you neither need to raise the gain of the High out crossover or turn the gain on the top amps up...

Either way you need to balance the tops and subs using one or the other. You should be crossing over @ about 100 hz LR24 from sub to top, and have an HPF of 35hz BW18 for the subs..

If you want to bi-amp the speakers you would need another amp, one with about 150 watts @ 8 ohms per channel, like the XTi 1002, or Peavey IPR1600DSP

Adding different tops as highs would only muck up the mix even worse... the best results can be gotten with the bi-amp method. Your amps even have presets for them to simplify matters!
  • Dra wrote:
    "Tears the sound at the end"?
    Can you be more specific?

The 725/728 combo is very popular in the PA world. Most praise it's ability in the band/club environment.

There are a LOT of users over on the PSW (ProSoundWeb.com) forums.

Are the compressors activated? (PA+ or amp)

DRA

Thank you for your reply
    i did not do any changes besides the selecting of the speakers and amp on the PA+ n on the amp it shows dsp off nothing else i did so i m pretty sure compressors are not activated? if i need to how do i activate the compressors on the PA+ or amp

ok idk how to explain it but ill try again
    for example this is the song link below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psxx0m9BwSc
    if i play this song on the system with having the Yamaha high and low in the center with master at 0 and the amplifies knobs abut 70%. if i sand at abut 10ft to 15ft away from the speakers it would feel like hurting my ears when the male or female sings like at .56 sec in the link the guys goes for a high pitch (a little) ill feel something is wrong on the highs it dont sound right compared to when i would hear this on a head phones or car stereo.
    i hope this helps
    Gadget wrote:
    Hi Jay,

I think you have a level problem, and are indicating that the highs are breaking up? Perhaps you could run the text through google translator to clear up the language barrier a bit...

The 725's, although harsh are a decent speaker, my suggestion would be to biamp them and get the most out of them. That way you can use JBL tuninga to clear things up, in the mean time, have you done a system gain structure?

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

Then if the amp is @ -10 and the DR is clipping you neither need to raise the gain of the High out crossover or turn the gain on the top amps up...

Either way you need to balance the tops and subs using one or the other. You should be crossing over @ about 100 hz LR24 from sub to top, and have an HPF of 35hz BW18 for the subs..

If you want to bi-amp the speakers you would need another amp, one with about 150 watts @ 8 ohms per channel, like the XTi 1002, or Peavey IPR1600DSP

Adding different tops as highs would only muck up the mix even worse... the best results can be gotten with the bi-amp method. Your amps even have presets for them to simplify matters!

Thank you for the reply
    No i have not done a gain structure i read the link you send me and half of it went over my head :? ill have to learn quick i guess would the RTA-M mic(dont have) be needed for this ?? would i be able to get good out put with the system i have then i dont need another amp or pair of speakers. but for that ill diffidently need to learn the PA+ but would bi amp be better for the srx 725 give the highs with xti 1002 and mids with xti 6002 to it ?
    i would have to bridge the xti 1002 to get 150w at 8ohms??

if i want to balance the subs and tops i need to do tht in the PA+ and AMP ?? or just PA+
    any pointers to understand this easily>??

Thank you
    jay
    Ok,

The problem with ALL JBL speakers is... (this is my opinion but MANY others as well!!!) they are HARSH!! in the high end... THIS is why you would be better off to have the system bi-amped, you can then control the high end by simply turning down the gain control.. AND you get JBL PEQ's built in that would help with the harshness...

And Yes a Crown XTi 1000 would be fine for the horns, you wouldn't need to run them bridged mono...

You could maybe do something with a PEQ or 2 on the high end, I played the song and it does have a lot of high end you could try and put a (bell) PEQ @ 5Khz try a Q of 1.0 (very wide) and then slowly cut till the harshness goes away, then try narrowing the Q by going toward 5.0 (narrower) till the harshness starts to come back... then go back a little you can also vary the cut/boost till you are only affecting the harshness... you can also vary the frequency up and down till you get it just right... there may be another one higher, but JBL is definitely harsh in the 3-5khz area...

Try that and get back to us...
  • Gadget wrote:
    Ok,

The problem with ALL JBL speakers is... (this is my opinion but MANY others as well!!!) they are HARSH!! in the high end... THIS is why you would be better off to have the system bi-amped, you can then control the high end by simply turning down the gain control.. AND you get JBL PEQ's built in that would help with the harshness...

And Yes a Crown XTi 1000 would be fine for the horns, you wouldn't need to run them bridged mono...

You could maybe do something with a PEQ or 2 on the high end, I played the song and it does have a lot of high end you could try and put a (bell) PEQ @ 5Khz try a Q of 1.0 (very wide) and then slowly cut till the harshness goes away, then try narrowing the Q by going toward 5.0 (narrower) till the harshness starts to come back... then go back a little you can also vary the cut/boost till you are only affecting the harshness... you can also vary the frequency up and down till you get it just right... there may be another one higher, but JBL is definitely harsh in the 3-5khz area...

Try that and get back to us...

Thank you once again Gadget
    i would first need to do the Gain structure right"? and then do the PEQ?
    ill start playing around with the PA+ so i start getting used to it.

Thank you
    Jay
    i would first need to do the Gain structure right"?

Yes
  • Gadget wrote:
    i would first need to do the Gain structure right"?

Yes

hey

i did the gain structure first but i dont know if i did it right after step 13 but it sounded a lot better after tht
    n then i also did the
    "ou should be crossing over @ about 100 hz LR24 from sub to top, and have an HPF of 35hz BW18 for the subs.."

then i did the PEQ
    i sent the low bell
    3khz to gain (-2) Q of 1.22
    4Khz to gain (-2.5) Q to 1.22
    5Khz to gain (-3) Q of 1.22

it did make a difference but still i think i need to work n mess around a little to get better sound. it could be also the bitrate of the songs might cause a problem >?>

Thankx Gadget