Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Connectivity

260 Connectivity Problem

fuzz1817fuzz1817 Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in 200 Series Connectivity
I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm trying to update a DR260 with the 2.6.2.0 firmware, but am having trouble establishing a connection between my laptop w/ Vista and my 260. I have the null modem adapter, a USB to RS-232 adapter with the dbx recommended FTDI chipset. The Driveware is loaded and I have v 1.600 on the 260. Is this the most current update available??
I have 4 USB ports on the laptop, 2 on each side and 1 is the mouse. I am plugged into the lower left port on the laptop from the 260.
As soon as I open the Driveware or try to 'Connect to the network' I receive a message that says "an error occurred while opening Com port 1. Please check the port and try again." I have tried changing the com port on the Driveware to port 2,4,5,6,7, etc., all with the same results. The only difference is when the Driveware is set to port 3, it says "Network not detected. Working in offline mode."
I assume that port3 is the correct port, but why won't it connect?

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 801
    fuzz1817 wrote:
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm trying to update a DR260 with the 2.6.2.0 firmware, but am having trouble establishing a connection between my laptop w/ Vista and my 260. I have the null modem adapter, a USB to RS-232 adapter with the dbx recommended FTDI chipset. The Driveware is loaded and I have v 1.600 on the 260. Is this the most current update available??
    I have 4 USB ports on the laptop, 2 on each side and 1 is the mouse. I am plugged into the lower left port on the laptop from the 260.
    As soon as I open the Driveware or try to 'Connect to the network' I receive a message that says "an error occurred while opening Com port 1. Please check the port and try again." I have tried changing the com port on the Driveware to port 2,4,5,6,7, etc., all with the same results. The only difference is when the Driveware is set to port 3, it says "Network not detected. Working in offline mode."
    I assume that port3 is the correct port, but why won't it connect?

Im not familiar with vista...I hope XP info is of some help.

Plug in USB-RS232 adapter to desired USB port.

Click -Control Panel-System-Hardware-Device manager. Now click + sign beside Ports (COM & LPT). At this point, check which COM Port your adapter is using.

Open Driveware. Click -FILE-PREFERENCES. Click on the PORT drop down menu and select the same COM number that showed up in
    Device Manager. Did that help?
  • Yes, thank you, that helped me identify the port. it says it is in port10, but I still get the same message, saying there was an error opening port10. Checking the properties of port 10 it says "this port is working properly".
  • Actually, I just moved the USB connector to both of the available Com ports and they all say com10!
  • I keep digging and finding a little more. I went to the bottom of the USB Serial Buss Controllers list and found the "USB Serial Converter" showing my cable manufactured by FTDI. It is showing a location as "Port_#0001.Hub_#0004. Does this give anyone a clue as to why my 260 won't connect?
    And you set the COM port in Driveware Preferences to COM 10? Is something else making use of COM 10? Try another USB Port...check what COM Port it is in your computer and reset the Preferences COM Port to match. Back in the day before Windows7, Vista developed a bad rep for not playing nice and often questioned if you had "administrative privileges". Have you gone into the Control Panel and disabled "User Access Control"?

If nothing above fixes the problem it's possible your serial adapter has a driver issue

Just read your last post. Port_#0001 isn't offered as a location in driveware. Your options are COM1 to COM16
    Before you came up with Port_#0001, you said you were COM10.......how did you come up with that?
  • The Device mgr lists:
    +Modems
    +Monitors
    +Network Adapters
    +Ports (COM and LPT)
    +Processors
    +blah
    +blah Then
    +Universal Serial Bus Controllers with
    (7) Intel Host Controllers
    (2) USB Composite Devices
    (7) USB Root Hubs
    and at the bottom of the list is my USB Serial Converter <--This is where I get the goofy #port 0001 number.
    But if I pull the USB cord, the Ports (COM & LPT) listing disappears along with the USB Serial Converter.
    fuzz1817 wrote:
    But if I pull the USB cord, the Ports (COM & LPT) listing disappears along with the USB Serial Converter.

What exactly is listed when the USB cable is connected?
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    :?: Don't leave us hangin' :mrgreen:
    Dra wrote:
    :?: Don't leave us hangin' :mrgreen:

Yes, he walked away in the middle of a conversation! We might have been onto something since Driveware hates sharing COM ports with anything and all of his USB ports were on COM 10