Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

"Newb" questions

gibsongogibsongo Posts: 6
Hi,
Got my 260 yesterday, and as a typical newb have lots of questions as I try to do a setup.
System: Stereo 3-way; bass = 2 x JBL 2226H per side, each side powered by 1 Crown macrotech 1200; mids = 1 x JBL 2441 per side mounted on a JBL wooden horn (can't remember the model), powered by 1 Crown macrotech 1200 (one channel per side), highs: 2 x JBL 075 bullets per side, powered by a smaller Crown amp (one channel per side, can't remember the model, but think its about 300 watts per side).
The 260 replaces a Bheringer crossover. The system is used as a practice PA for my band and some hedonistic very loud listening (Revox tuner, CD player, etc.). The system is loosly modeled on the Weslake studio monitors in a studio where I used to engineer in the 1970s.
I assume I use 2x6 as the basis for the setup - but treat the bass as subs even though they will be crossed over at around 700 HZ. Right?
Since my speaker boxes are assembled and loaded rather than bought complete, am I right in presuming I have to choose "Custom" for the speaker selection in Setup? Same thing for the amps, since I don't see Crown macrotech 1200 listed?

Now, on to the RTA (I have a Bheringer ECM8000 MIC). Can this be used to analyse and tweek more than just the EQ. Seems to me that things like output levels to amps, phase and delay should be set before fiddling with an EQ curve. Can the RTA be used to set these variables, or does this have to be done the old fashioned way (by ear, or using a computer-based analysis tool)? Finally, anywhere of finding more intuitive explanations than what DBX provides in the manual?
Thanks,
Gordon in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes. Custom works.
    Yes the RTA can be used to balance the amps bands, if you understand that if not careful you can do more damage can good working in a reverberate field.
    Agreed, the manual is not all it should be.

DRA
  • Options
    DRA,

Thanks for the super fast response. When you say that the RTA can be used to "balance the amps", I assume this refers to setting the Driverack's coutput volumes to each amp. But does this also include things like phase and delay?
    And is this done automatically (like I understand the EQ can be) or is it a manual process - i.e. looking at a screen and adjusting till a flat response is achieved.

Thanks

Gordon
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Phase should only be attempted if you have and are competent in SMARRT or similar. Delay for the most part is simple time and / or distance. Yes, 100% manual. If you don't have Smarrt, an excellent tool for delay is to choose your x-over freq (100hz for example), then send that signal (100hz tone) to you subs and tops, except reverse the speaker wires on the sub (or top). The delay is perfect when the volume dips to its lowest output, because the outputs phase against each other.

DRA