Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

PA2 need setup help

jheimannjheimann Posts: 8
edited January 15 in Configuration Wizard
We were given (praise God) a DriveRack PA2 for our church. We currently have a Mackie 16 channel analog mixer, QSC RMX 1450 amp driving a pair of EV sx100 main speakers. We also have an old PV amp driving remote speakers under the balcony and pumping the service to other rooms like the library, nursery, etc.

The church is a long narrow church (40' wide by 70' long with cathedral ceiling). We have the EV sx100's clustered together in the center of the building directly over the pulpit (10 feet from the back wall), angled away from each other and pointing down so each speaker is pointing down so a direct line would fall on the floor at the rear corner of the building. Currently configured in stereo (left and right), though I don't know why. The PV amp drives small speakers throughout the building in mono. There are no sub woofers, or stage monitors in the configuration.

How do I setup the PA2 for this configuration. I don't see my speakers or amp in the list. I have a RTA microphone, but its not a DriveRack mic, its a bheringer EMC8000. Can this be used?

I am blessed to get this generous gift, and what to make sure I use to appropriately to improve the quality of our services. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Do you want to be able to control all areas individually with the PA2? Are all areas (aside from the chapel) run by a single speaker wire run? or paired from the PV amp. Is that amp a single channel or 2 channel amp?

DRA
  • jheimannjheimann Posts: 8
    DRA,

Thanks for the reply. I will be honest, I am not familiar with how the PV amp is configured. I know its mono amp, but drives a half dozen speakers, 2 under the balcony (the last 20 feet of the church) 1 in the library, 1 in the nursery, 1 in the fellowship hall (down stairs) and 1 in the balcony. On the back of the Mackie mixer, there is the main out (L & R) outputs (LXR) and a mono port (1/4 inch). The PV amp is connected to the mono port, the main amp is connected to the LXR main outs.

It would be nice to drive both from the PA2 if possible, since the PV amp does drive speakers in and under the balcony, because the Mains do not do an adequate job with sound in these locations.

I will be at Church tomorrow evening and will see how the PV amp is configured (speakers connected) and get back to you. I will also let you know the model number of the PV amp.

Thanks again for your help. I really want to make our services as good as possible sound wise, especially where we are doing more live worship music (instruments and vocals).
    Please give as much info about the speakers connected to the PV amp also. I am thinking that they may be 70v type. Do they have volume controls on the speaker (or wall)? Get the mackie model while your at it.

DRA
    OK. The mono amp is a Peavey IPA 150T mono amp. The speakers are all connected to the 70V output (single line all connected in parallel). Each speaker is controlled by a Atlas AT10 volume controller, except for the speakers in and under the balcony. Those are Atlas W115T speakers (3).

The mixer is a Mackie CR1604-VLZ. The mains are connected to main out left and right. The IPA 150 mono amp is connected to the mono output on the Mackie mixer.

I had change the ends of my cables since the Mackie uses 1/4" and the PA2 uses LXRs. I have it mounted but unsure how to hook up the mono amp and how to best configure the PA2 to get the best sound.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

John
    Can you tell me if the mono output level is independent on the L/R output? In other words, is the output to the balcony affected by the changes made to the L/R fader?

DRA
    Yes, the mono output on the Mackie board is controlled by the main fader just like the L & R main outputs. I was wondering if I can get a summing cable to combine both L & R into a mono mix and then drive that off of the PA2. This would mean that I would need to configure the PA2 for 2 full range outputs. Not sure if this would be possible or not, its just a thought I had.
    OK.
    Use can use preset #4. It is stereo 2 way w/ mono sub.

Mixer L&R outputs -> DRPA2 inputs
    DRPA2 high outputs L&R -> QSC amp inputs L&R -> EV speakers
    DRPA2 low Left/Mono output -> PV amp -> Atlas, etc speakers (the L&R are summed internally in the DRPA2)

You can go in and adjust the x-over filters to be "full range".

The I would set the "highs" 65hz BW24 - Out. The EVs are only rated to 60hz @ -10db.
    The "lows" (all the speakers on the PV)... set at 80hz BW24 - out. I couldn't find any specs on the atlas speakers, but they appear to be 5 or 6" speakers. If they sound stressed at all, raise the 80hz to 90hz or maybe even 100hz.

You can control the overall volume of the PV amp's speaker with the gain of the low x-over filter.

The EVs need a good bit of work to flatten out the response. The Auto EQ should take care of that.

DRA
    Thanks!

I got the system hooked up and running last night. I have a couple of questions. I did not see where I can adjust the X-over filter to be "full range". I did make x-over adjustments described: set the low (mono output) to be, I think, full range by moving the high pass to continuous, and setting the low pass to BW24 @80Hz. The high (mains) has the high pass set to continuous and the low pass to BW24 @65Hz. I ran some music (with lots of base) through the system and it sounded pretty good. I did adjust the mono to 90Hz on the low pass which made the mono sound better. I just want to confirm this is how you intended me to setup the system.

In terms of gain, where should I set my amps, and gain at the x-over? Right now I have the default gain for preset 4, and the amp at 75%. Seems OK, but not sure how to dial in the gain appropriately to get the most out of the system.

Finally, how do I EQ the room. I have a Bheringer ECM8000 RTA mic, but the instructions say to place it between the two speakers. Where my setup is center clustered, facing away from each other, where should I place the RTA mic, and move it to for step 2? I am sure my sanctuary is not flat :) Looking for advice on next steps.

Thanks again for all your help, you have truly been a blessing to me!

Thanks,

John
    X-overs - Exactly right.

Gain- The gain set-up in the manual is pretty easy to follow. Look here also.
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

You can't use the auto level function in the wizard, since it is leveling the high and lows (which you don't have). So what ever it tells you to do, don't.

Auto-EQ - You should be able to just pick the mic locations to be generic. The wizard (as I understand it) just wants multiple references to arrive at an average. Just pick 3 spots. Maybe close left, medium right, and far right, but not so far that the balcony speakers would be heard, and still in the direct coverage area. Actually turn off the PV during this.

DRA
    Dra,

I set the gains per the manual, and did the auto-eq. I also played around with GEQ to get what I thought was pleasing to my ears, despite not having a sub, it sounds pretty good.

We had a singing group come to our Church on Sunday. 7 instruments and 3 vocals all running through the system. The PA2 did amazingly well. Everyone was thrilled with the sound quality.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!
    Good to hear.

DRA
  • DRA,

I could not help myself. I found a great price on a EV EKX-18SP powered sub at my local Guitar Center, and purchased it for our Church. The next question is how do I wire this into my unique configuration. I am already using the low (mono) output on the PA2 for the 70V speaker system throughout the rest of the church. How do I configure this new mono sub into this environment and still retain the full range mono 70V speaker system?

I really appreciate your help on this one.

Thanks,

John
    Preset #8: Stereo 3-Way with Mono Sub

Highs: same (house) LPF = 100hz LR24
    Mids: 70v system (all channels sent must be panned to center, or panned to Left OR Right (same) then connect to that mid (L or R) PA2 output. Set as before.
    Lows: sub Set the LPF (Hi-Cut) to as high as it will allow on the sub's DSP. Set the LPF to 100hz LR24 on the PA2. The sub should have the HPF set already.

If you have any questions, let me know.

DRA
This discussion has been closed.