Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

AutoEQ in a domestic environment

gasmangasman Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi

I am using a PA2 as the external crossover/DSP for a pair of home speakers (electrostatic/transmission line hybrids, bi-amped mid/hi & bass) and being a rank amateur I have some questions for the Pros if I may about the setup and particularly room correction/AutoEQ

The spec sheet for my speakers is as follows:

172Hz crossover 48dB/octave Butterworth
High Pass EQ = LP Shelf 6db/octave@243Hz +14dB gain
Low Pass EQ = LP Shelf 12dB/octave@38Hz +6dB gain

I am happy I have the crossover dialled in correctly and I have put the EQ numbers into the PEQ settings for Low and Mid/High (I'm hoping that's right!!)

The I run AutoEQ using 4 mic positions and an AKG C451EB

Attached is a screen grab of the outcome and the room response looks pretty ugly (to me as I haven't seen many!)

A couple of questions about this

The Result and Target look to be quite far out to me or is that, under the circumstances, a reasonable result? How close to the ideal target should one be trying to get (given that this in effect a static setup I can take my time to do this right)

I am thinking that the AutoEQ applies 8 PEQ filters to the measured room response and it is these that are shown. I read somewhere (can"t find it now!) that some people use the AutoEQ wizard to generate the 8 EQs then manually add these to the PEQ and then rerun the wizard. Have I understood that correctly? And if so, what is the advantage and do I simply override my existing PEQ that I have added from the spec sheet?

Sorry if this is all a bit 'noob' and especially if my use of terminology is somewhat imprecise!

Thank you

Neill

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Probably what you read was that with the original DRPA & DRPA+, was to take the info from the Auto-EQ (which in those units is graphic, not parametric, only) and apply to the output bands PEQs for speaker correction, not room correction. In your case, speaker and room correction are really the same thing.

Now though, if you transfer those filters to the output PEQs (#4 looks like it might be in the 172hz x-over zone, so don't transfer it), you can then clear the input side filters and re-shoot the room. The result should be minimal changes except around the x-over point.

One thing to consider, the mic positions displayed are not required. It is just sampling areas of the room and taking an average. Modify the locations so that all the samples are in YOUR listening zones. If this were for home theater, for example, all the samples should be where people sit, at seated head height.

DRA
    Should have added that if it sounds good, it is good.

DRA
  • gasmangasman Posts: 5
    Cheers DRA that makes sense

If I transfer the AutoEQ input filters to the output PEQs what then do I do about Q? I don't see that option on the PEQ filters, just frequency, gain and slope unless I'm missing something. Unless Q equates to slope ???

Because of the way my listening room is (shoebox room with speakers across the narrow end and me sitting at the other) there is a big difference between the mic positions that the Manual says to use (equilateral triangle, 1/3 along etc etc ) and where I actually sit! But you're absolutely right with the AutoEQ on it is soooo much better even if I am 9 feet from the "sweet spot". It surely does sound good but now I'm all obsessing about it sounding better :wink:

I'll redo the wizard using 4 ear height positions around where I sit and see if that improves things

Many thanks

Neill
    Ignore the brain dead question about PEQ filters and Q/db slope

Was getting Low Shelf and Bell curves mixed up

:roll:
    Post back if there was an improvement. Another benefit of transferring to the outputs is that you used 8 bands across both hi (3-4 filters)and low (4-5 filters). Now all those are out of the way and you have 8 more that to pinpoint smaller problems, if they exist.

DRA
    Ran the AutoEQ and copied the results across to the output PEQ

Then ran AutoEQ again and the Result is now much closer to target than before

The sound has improved a touch further too and hitherto very impressed

Thanks for your help

Neill