Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PA2

will Behringer pmp4000 work with the Driverack pa2

sg101sg101 Posts: 12
edited November 2015 in DriveRack PA2
I have a small electronic drum room with a pmp4000 powered mixer. I am running 2 active speakers from the main outs on the top of the board. Then I am using 2 passive speakers from behind the board. I also have a powered monitor. I have been hearing conflicting stories if the PA2 will work with my setup. I do not want to loose control over my speakers or monitor as well from the board. I would like to know first if this will work with my system? then if any ideas for the right connections. Thank you.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    A driverack will work anywhere that there is space between a line level output (mixer) and a line level input (amp).

DRA
  • sg101sg101 Posts: 12
    Thanks for the response but since I am so new to this, I do not know if that is a yes or no. I am not using a power amps on the system. And I believe I hook the PA2 to the speakers not the board. That is where I am confused. I would hope back to the board so I have control. But if to the speakers I belive my powered would be highs and passive mids because I am not using a sub either. Appreciate any other input.
    Yes you are using amps. One is in the mixer (requires an "insert" or "power amp in" type patch to work, don't know if you have this) and one is in the active speaker.

DRA
    Yes the board does have a power amp input on the top of the mixer. So I guess it will work thanks.
    http://www.audiopile.net/YIN-MF

You need 2cables like this, BUT the male & female connectors are reversed. The ring need to be Male and the Tip needs to be Female.

DRA
    Thanks Dra you know your stuff. I only have 1 power amp in so I will need a splitter Correct to hook up 2 of these cables correct? then one to the driverack and the other back to the board right? Thanks again for your imput, I wish I knew more but I have to start somewhere.
    Ok. I re-read the 1st post. I missed the monitor. The PA2 will be able to control 2 sources. Either a stereo set-up, or a mono set-up + monitor. The insert will (should) affect both the onboard amp and the main line out. Explain again what you want to accomplish. Control everything (both sets of speakers, passive and active) and the monitors? If so, is stereo required? If so, you can't.

DRA
    No I don't have to use the stern option there is a mono and mon1 setting. I do use the stereo setting now but I can use the mono setting. Yes you are right I want to control the passive, active and 1 monitor.
    Read this post. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228 There will be some differences, but the principle applies to you situation. When you understand it, post back and we'll convert it to your set-up.

DRA
    here are some schematic's of my system. I hope it helps if not thanks again.
    thanks. I had download the manual. That is how I knew that B'ger used a reversed tip / ring config on inserts from the industry standard.
    Ok so let me recap. If I want to control the monitor and speakers I switch the board to the Mono1 and mono selection. This will give me monitor as output A and the speakers to output B. I then take the 2 connectors you had suggested and put into the power amp insert line jacks. Then I connect the red xlr (send) to the input left / mono of the pa2 and the black xlr to the output low left/mon out of the pa2. Then the second cable to line input right on board then to right in of pa2 and then high right out of pa2 for speakers. This will connect me to the pa2 and still control monitors and speakers from the board. God I hope i'm right.
    You do understand that the cable I linked is incorrect. If you are handy with soldering, the TRS connector needs to have the tip & ring wires reversed.

The next step is to configure the PA2 to allow the monitor to be on one channel and the 2 sets of main on the other channel. For example,
    monitor out to left in
    Main out to right in
    monitor out high left
    Main (set one) out mid right
    Main (set two) out low right

This gives you 3 custom x/over filters, 3 custom PEQ setting for each, 3 distinct limiters.
    The mains will share a GEQ and the monitor will have its own GEQ.
    The feedback section will be shared for all.

DRA
    got it thanks
    No I did not know the wire you referenced was wrong.
    sg101 wrote:
    No I did not know the wire you referenced was wrong.

"http://www.audiopile.net/YIN-MF

You need 2cables like this, BUT the male & female connectors are reversed. The ring need to be Male and the Tip needs to be Female."